Support our troops

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 11:12 am
another interesting idea that would actually support our troops beyond yellow ribbons.
Quote:
Waiting in the wings is binding legislation that would fully fund Bush's $100 billion request for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but add four conditions: Soldiers and Marines could be deployed to Iraq only after being certified as fully trained and equipped. National Guardsmen and reservists could be subject to no more than two deployments, or roughly 12 months of combat duty. The administration could use none of the money for permanent bases in Iraq. And additional funding for the National Guard and reserves must be spent to retool operations at home, such as emergency response.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021300519.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 473 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 11:31 am
B]I think that it is a wonderful idea, but I would like to see this spelled out more precisely:[/B]

Quote:
Soldiers and Marines could be deployed to Iraq only after being certified as fully trained and equipped.

What constitutes "fully trained and equipped". What standards are being used to determine this, and who decides the standards?

I think that a big part of the problem was that the military was thrown into a hornet's nest, ill equipped to deal with this very different kind of war. They were not given sufficient environmental protection, in terms of equipment. I think that quite a few fatalities could be attributed to these deficiences.

They need to be corrected before any more troops are sent out.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 12:04 pm
Phoenix, I'm quite sure the pentagon has an established criteria for "fully trained and equipped." At least they did when I was in the service. But that was before Rumsfeld; that may have changed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 01:21 pm
Sucker move, Dys . . . the Shrub would sign, make a signing statement, and ignore the "binding" conditions . . .
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 02:34 pm
Re: Support our troops
dyslexia wrote:
another interesting idea that would actually support our troops beyond yellow ribbons.
Quote:
Waiting in the wings is binding legislation that would fully fund Bush's $100 billion request for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but add four conditions: Soldiers and Marines could be deployed to Iraq only after being certified as fully trained and equipped. National Guardsmen and reservists could be subject to no more than two deployments, or roughly 12 months of combat duty. The administration could use none of the money for permanent bases in Iraq. And additional funding for the National Guard and reserves must be spent to retool operations at home, such as emergency response.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/13/AR2007021300519.html

This already takes place during our mobilization time. I got to Afghanistan with everything I needed to do my job. We lacked nothing. Where are these news stories coming from that troops don't get the supplies and equipment they need? Sure back at the beginning of the war there were issues but now there is no issues.

Each deployment is about 12 months in country and 3-5 months for mobilization and demobilization. It brings the full time to about 18 months.

The National Guard are used for local emergency response not the reserves. The funding for NG is state funding, not federal funding. If they want to increase the funding for NG that would take place at the state level. I'm sure the fed govt provides some funding for NG but most of the funding for NG is done through the state.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 04:38 pm
Baldimo,

What do you think about the "no more than 2 deployments, not longer than 12 months in Iraq" part of this plan?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 04:42 pm
Baldimo;
Every now and then I get a sick feeling in my stomach thinking you might actually believe the posts you make.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 04:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Baldimo,

What do you think about the "no more than 2 deployments, not longer than 12 months in Iraq" part of this plan?

Well I don't know if they mean no more then 2 deployments lasting total of 12 months or if it is 12 months a piece.

If it is the first one, it can be a good idea because then you don't become complacent.

dyslexia wrote:
Baldimo;
Every now and then I get a sick feeling in my stomach thinking you might actually believe the posts you make.

I believe because I talk from experience.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 05:00 am
Quote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070212/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_budget_veterans

What are soldiers good for?
1) photographic backdrops
2) borrowed swagger
3) dying so your own kids (and your fundraisers' kids) don't have to
0 Replies