Atheism has the same logical flaws as religion

Seeker

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 04:10 am
[quote="ThomasYou also have to account for the possibility that there's a wicked God who expects us to spot the obvious inconsistencies of the Bible, and who wants to sort out the gullible zealots so he cen fry them in hell for eternity. That possibility creates a strong disincentive against spending time with religion. And since I don't know how to assign probabilities to the various scenarios, my best bet is to be an agnostic atheist.[/quote]

Why would he want to do that? If your going to be evil, there are much more 'fun' ways of picking out who to burn for all eternity. Why would he spare someone just because they didn't believe a story? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 07:23 am
Seeker wrote:
[quote="ThomasYou also have to account for the possibility that there's a wicked God who expects us to spot the obvious inconsistencies of the Bible, and who wants to sort out the gullible zealots so he cen fry them in hell for eternity. That possibility creates a strong disincentive against spending time with religion. And since I don't know how to assign probabilities to the various scenarios, my best bet is to be an agnostic atheist.

Why would he want to do that? If your going to be evil, there are much more 'fun' ways of picking out who to burn for all eternity. Why would he spare someone just because they didn't believe a story? Rolling Eyes [/quote]

Why not?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 08:10 am
I was mystified by this categorization of what would or would not be the most fun for god. Course, i'm not up on my fairy tale lore, so . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2003 05:46 pm
To me all the arguments for a god are excercises in obfuscation and wilful self deception. There is no evidence for a god and there is absolutely no reason for decieving oneself into thinking there might be. It's the bunk, I tell ya.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 07:28 am
To me, all arguments for a god -- and that there are no gods -- are exercises in obfuscation and willful self-deception.

There is no good and compelling reason to suppose there are gods -- and there are no good and compelling reasons to assert that gods are impossible.

It's all bunk, I tell ya.

But on this (rather dreary in New Jersey) Christmas Eve, I do want to wish all my theistic and atheistic cyber-friends a very Merry Christmas.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:44 am
Mewwy Chwistmas, Fwank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 08:58 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Mewwy Chwistmas, Fwank.

Laughing Laughing

Loved that comment -- and I love you too, Edgar.

(You didn't get an Elmer Fudd talking doll for Christmas, did ya?)

:wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2003 09:27 am
No, but I love him for his tenacious nature and for exposing some of our human foibles. He's deep, that Elmer.
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:19 pm
responding to craven de kere , i think the name was , what are you talking about . do you know what logic is ? if so you realize what you just said made absolutely no sense . logic is The science or art of exact reasoning, or of pure and formal thought, or of the laws according to which the processes of pure thinking should be conducted , correct reasoning . reason determines that our minds are the only course of knowledge and that what you said is complete bologna .I recommend you read Ayn Rand ...persay Atlas Shrugged . anyone wanna back me up on this?
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 08:29 pm
I would like to say this in response to any agnostic or theistic person . I would say that an extroadinary being controlling every aspect of life , bieng beyond our level of existance is an extroadinary claim .
an extraodinary claim requires proving .....so , prove god exists...logically
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:01 pm
Hank Rearden wrote:
responding to craven de kere , i think the name was , what are you talking about . do you know what logic is ? if so you realize what you just said made absolutely no sense .

I am very well aquainted with logic, it's my favorite subject. If you would liek to challenge any of my logic feel free to do so. But if you simply state that some comment I made "makes absolutely no sense" I can only ask you to put your money where your mouth is and demonstrate the logical error.

If you attempt to do so I will respond with either agreement or defense of my position.

Ball's in your court buddy. If you see a logical flaw in anything I posted demonstrate it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:21 pm
I'll back ya up buddy, when it comes to pure exercises in fantasy, completely unrelated to any demonstrable reality, Ayn Rand is as close as one can come to pure bullshit on a par with the god myth.

Oh . . . that's not what you were sayin', huh?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:50 pm
Bye bye, Bologna, bye bye, my husband and I said as we hopped on the train...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:22 am
Hank Rearden wrote:
I would like to say this in response to any agnostic or theistic person . I would say that an extroadinary being controlling every aspect of life , bieng beyond our level of existance is an extroadinary claim .
an extraodinary claim requires proving .....so , prove god exists...logically

Hank, if you want to get into a confrontation with Craven on logic -- do so. Frankly, from the sounds of your first few posts here, I think you are biting off much more than you can chew.

If you would like, instead, to discuss what in hell you are talking about here in your comments directed towards agnostics, I'm the guy you want talk to.

What exactly do you suppose, in that logical mind of yours, that I, as an agnostic, should have to prove?
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:23 pm
Using some logic you should "know" absolutely nothing.

what you said is that our minds are inable to know truth .
i completely disagree with that comment .
And im sorry if that came off as bieng belligerant , it wasnt meant that way.
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:28 pm
frank apisa is correct , i didnt mean to direct that toward agnostic people , just thiests .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:32 pm
Hank Rearden wrote:

Great, so this means you should not be able to "know" the axiom you just posted. ;-)

Quote:
what you said is that our minds are inable to know truth .

When did I say this?

Quote:

And im sorry if that came off as bieng belligerant , it wasnt meant that way.

No worries.
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
the point about it not making sense is that in the reality we live in we cannot focus on other realitys . we have to live objectively as animals on this earth .
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:35 pm
no what i said was a quote
0 Replies

Hank Rearden

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:37 pm
Quote:
0 Replies