okie

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:46 pm
kuvasz wrote:
okie wrote:
It is worth mentioning that Nixon got caught involved with knowing about the wiretapping of political figures, which was nothing new at all. This from the following site:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,879504,00.html?internalid=ACA

"The Senate select committee on intelligence activities last week filled out the dismaying record of Hoover's eagerness to curry favor with Presidents by using agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation to gather political information. The committee staffs report shows that Hoover willingly complied with improper requests from Presidents Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon."

Please note if all of these presidents had been removed from office for such activity, it would be 3 Democrats gone vs 1 Republican, including the hated Richard Nixon along with 3 beloved Democratic icons that are still worshiped and revered by liberal Democrats today.
[/i]

Just when it seemed you were running out of truly stupid remarks you posted that liberals "worshiped and revered" LBJ.

How could you say that with a straight face? Could you get more clueless and ahistoric?

Johnson was revered only for his actions to bring about equal civil rights towards black Americans, which likely you don't agree with anyway.

Speaking of stupid remarks, kuvasz. If you had decency, you would apologize.

Quote:
The lack of support by liberals in 67-68 forced LBJ not to seek re-election. You can't get any more stupid about American history, unless you called Abraham Lincoln the president of the Confederate States of America. But if you want to know, every president since Roosevelt could be considered a war criminal according to the Geneva Convention due to executive actions carried out during their terms. Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush (the Greater), Clinton and Bush (the Lesser). That's six Democratic war criminal presidents and six Republican war criminal presidents.

What you and your fellow mouth breathing travelers on the Far Right fail to fathom is that most normal folk don't hold up these guys in some sort of pagan Pantheon of idolatry and worship them. Normal people know they have clay feet and your remark of Democratic adolation is merely transference of the mindless authoritarian streak conservatives exhibit of following leaders through hell, high water, or Iraq

Roosevelt was excoriated by liberals for Japanese internments in the 40's, Truman for seizing the coal mines and steel plants from strikers and both Kennedy and Johnson the same for wiretaps, especially on civil rights leaders, (unless you think it was a good thing to tap Martin Luther King's phone), but anyway, that was done originally under the Eisenhower Administration.

But only Nixon made up an "enemies list" and used the IRS to hound his adversaries.

Well, I certainly do not see any articles to speak of in the media calling your Democrats war criminals. I don't know where you get your information. Hey, FDR especially is held up as some sort of hero of the 20th century. I don't remember where, but not too long ago I saw an article suggesting he was the greatest president of the 20th century, and it certainly did not suggest he was a war criminal.

Also, you must have missed the accusations against Clinton concerning auditing and intimidating his political enemies with the IRS.

Quote:
I am really stunned by your willful and blatant ignorance shown of historical facts and how you cobble together urban myth with political hacksterism to create a world view seen usually only by deranged mental patients or those who ingest massive quantities of psychedelics.

I have dealt with chronic pcp users more lucid about reality.

You really need to read a frigging history book once in a while before you post your awful brain offal and embarass yourself in public; listening to you spout on about history makes as much sense as listening to my two kuvasz about quantum physics.

Nice collection of words to express your sarcasm, kuvasz, but you need to back it up with valid examples. I think you failed to prove I am wrong about much of anything on this post. Perhaps I stretched it a bit to say Democrats worship and revere all of those men the same, perhaps LBJ was not so great in your minds, but certainly FDR and JFK were almost worship status. And LBJ looms large in the liberal mind because of his "Great Society," which I believe was an utter failure. Of course, to go on a bit of a tangent, JFK was not all that liberal on many issues, but mainly because he was "Camelot" and he liked his women, the liberal Democrats loved him.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:19 pm
okie wrote:
Also, you must have missed the accusations against Clinton concerning auditing and intimidating his political enemies with the IRS.

This is why I have no respect for you. You gobble up everything that the Right Wing noise machine pukes out because you want to believe in your moral superiority, worse you are played like a fool by those who do not have your best interest at heart and who play on your emotions and fears. To them you're nothing but a sucker who believes everything.

Why you can't even check out these things for yourself as an intelligent adult man is beyond me.

The former charges against Clinton were only unsubstatiated "accusations," just like the Clinton's "alleged" trashing the White House when the GAO report proved it was an untrue story cooked up by the likes of Rush Limpbaugh.

okie wrote:
Well, I certainly do not see any articles to speak of in the media calling your Democrats war criminals. I don't know where you get your information. um, that would be history books

Hey, FDR especially is held up as some sort of hero of the 20th century. I don't remember where, but not too long ago I saw an article suggesting he was the greatest president of the 20th century, and it certainly did not suggest he was a war criminal.

normally he ranks as third behind Washington and Lincoln.

As to what he did to rank that high, 33% unemployment, banks going out of business daily in March 1933 when he was sworn in. Hitler took power only a month before FDR did and died a month later, and look what happened to each nation during their rule.

Yeah, he did pretty good considering what might have happened.

I know how hard is for you to to keep up, so sources are available below.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=american+presidents+as+war+criminals&hl=en&oi=scholart

On FDR
Quote:
If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg. And Nuremberg means Nuremberg and Tokyo. So first of all you've got to think back as to what people were hanged for at Nuremberg and Tokyo. And once you think back, the question doesn't even require a moment's waste of time. For example, one general at the Tokyo trials, which were the worst, General Yamashita, was hanged on the grounds that troops in the Philippines, which were technically under his command (though it was so late in the war that he had no contact with them -- it was the very end of the war and there were some troops running around the Philippines who he had no contact with), had carried out atrocities, so he was hanged. Well, try that one out and you've already wiped out everybody.

ON TRUMAN
Quote:
But getting closer to the sort of core of the Nuremberg-Tokyo tribunals, in Truman's case at the Tokyo tribunal, there was one authentic, independent Asian justice, an Indian, who was also the one person in the court who had any background in international law [Radhabinod Pal], and he dissented from the whole judgment, dissented from the whole thing. He wrote a very interesting and important dissent, seven hundred pages -- you can find it in the Harvard Law Library, that's where I found it, maybe somewhere else, and it's interesting reading. He goes through the trial record and shows, I think pretty convincingly, it was pretty farcical. He ends up by saying something like this: if there is any crime in the Pacific theater that compares with the crimes of the Nazis, for which they're being hanged at Nuremberg, it was the dropping of the two atom bombs. And he says nothing of that sort can be attributed to the present accused. Well, that's a plausible argument, I think, if you look at the background. Truman proceeded to organize a major counter-insurgency campaign in Greece which killed off about one hundred and sixty thousand people, sixty thousand refugees, another sixty thousand or so people tortured, political system dismantled, right-wing regime. American corporations came in and took it over. I think that's a crime under Nuremberg.

ON EISENHOWER
Quote:
You could argue over whether his overthrow of the government of Guatemala was a crime. There was a CIA-backed army, which went in under U.S. threats and bombing and so on to undermine that capitalist democracy. I think that's a crime. The invasion of Lebanon in 1958, I don't know, you could argue. A lot of people were killed. The overthrow of the government of Iran is another one -- through a CIA-backed coup. But Guatemala suffices for Eisenhower and there's plenty more.

ON KENNEDY
Quote:
The Basy of Pigs invasion of Cuba was outright aggression. Eisenhower planned it, incidentally, so he was involved in a conspiracy to invade another country, which we can add to his score. After the invasion of Cuba, Kennedy launched a huge terrorist campaign against Cuba, which was very serious. No joke. Bombardment of industrial installations with killing of plenty of people, bombing hotels, sinking fishing boats, sabotage. Later, under Nixon, it even went as far as poisoning livestock and so on. Big affair. And then came Vietnam; he invaded Vietnam. He invaded South Vietnam in 1962. He sent the U.S. Air Force to start bombing.

ON JOHNSON
Quote:
The Indochina war alone, forget the invasion of the Dominican Republic, was a major war crime.

ON NIXON
Quote:
Nixon invaded Cambodia. The Nixon-Kissinger bombing of Cambodia in the early '70's was not all that different from the Khmer Rouge atrocities, in scale somewhat less, but not much less. Same was true in Laos.

ON FORD
Quote:
He supported the Indonesian invasion of East Timor, which was near genocidal. I mean, it makes Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait look like a tea party. That was supported decisively by the United States, both the diplmatic and the necessary military support came primarily from the United States. This was picked up under Carter.

ON CARTER
Quote:
He did things which would certainly fall under Nuremberg provisions. As the Indonesian atrocities increased to a level of really near-genocide, the U.S. aid under Carter increased. It reached a peak in 1978 as the atrocities peaked.

ON REAGAN
Quote:
It's not a question. The Contra stuff in Central America alone suffices. Support for the Israeli invasion of Lebanon also makes Saddam Hussein look pretty mild in terms of casualties and destruction. That suffices.

ON BUSH (THE GREATER)
Quote:
In fact, in the Reagan period there's even an International Court of Justice decision on what they call the "unlawful use of force" for which Reagan and Bush were condemned. I mean, you could argue about some of these people, but I think you could make a pretty strong case if you look at the Nuremberg decisions, Nuremberg and Tokyo, and you ask what people were condemned for. I think American presidents are well within the range.

ON CLINTON
Quote:
The bombing fiasco in the former Republic of Yugoslavia.

ON BUSH (THE LESSER)
Iraq

Quote:
Also, bear in mind, people ought to be pretty critical about the Nuremberg principles. I don't mean to suggest they're some kind of model of probity or anything. For one thing, they were ex post facto. These were determined to be crimes by the victors after they had won. Now, that already raises questions. In the case of the American presidents, they weren't ex post facto. Furthermore, you have to ask yourself what was called a "war crime"?

How did they decide what was a war crime at Nuremberg and Tokyo? And the answer is pretty simple. and not very pleasant. There was a criterion. Kind of like an operational criterion. If the enemy had done it and couldn't show that we had done it, then it was a war crime. So like bombing of urban concentrations was not considered a war crime because we had done more of it than the Germans and the Japanese. So that wasn't a war crime. You want to turn Tokyo into rubble? So much rubble you can't even drop an atom bomb there because nobody will see anything if you do, which is the real reason they didn't bomb Tokyo. That's not a war crime because we did it. Bombing Dresden is not a war crime. We did it. German Admiral Gernetz -- when he was brought to trial (he was a submarine commander or something) for sinking merchant vessels or whatever he did -- he called as a defense witness American Admiral Nimitz who testified that the U.S. had done pretty much the same thing, so he was off, he didn't get tried. And in fact if you run through the whole record, it turns out a war crime is any war crime that you can condemn them for but they can't condemn us for. Well, you know, that raises some questions.

I should say, actually, that this, interestingly, is said pretty openly by the people involved and it's regarded as a moral position. The chief prosecutor at Nuremberg was Telford Taylor. You know, a decent man. He wrote a book called Nuremberg and Vietnam. And in it he tries to consider whether there are crimes in Vietnam that fall under the Nuremberg principles. Predictably, he says not. But it's interesting to see how he spells out the Nuremberg principles.

http://www.chomsky.info/talks/1990----.htm
There's an article on this in The Yale Law Journal ["Review Symposium: War Crimes, the Rule of Force in International Affairs," The Yale Law Journal, Vol. 80, #7, June 1971] which is reprinted in a book [Chapter 3 of Chomsky's For Reasons of State (Pantheon, 1973)] if you're interested.

okie wrote:
Nice collection of words to express your sarcasm, kuvasz, but you need to back it up with valid examples. I think you failed to prove I am wrong about much of anything on this post. Perhaps I stretched it a bit to say Democrats worship and revere all of those men the same, perhaps LBJ was not so great in your minds, but certainly FDR and JFK were almost worship status. They died in office and that nasty American strain of patriotism that makes you mindlessly follow Bush and kiss his ass elevates our presidents to heroes did it.

And LBJ looms large in the liberal mind because of his "Great Society," which I believe was an utter failure. two words; "Viet Nam," and then three more; "guns and butter" Of course, to go on a bit of a tangent, JFK was not all that liberal on many issues, but mainly because he was "Camelot" and he liked his women, the liberal Democrats loved him.

No, he was a good-looking, young man with a family and young children who was a war hero, assassinated before our own eyes. Finally, he represented the new age, a generation removed from the atrocities of the second world war and represented a brighter future than seen in the rear view mirror. Nobody gave a $hit about a Broadway musical about King Authur. Again, Kennedy represented a new age and his loss evoked the poetry of John Greenleaf Whittier...

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen the saddest are these,'what might have been.'"
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:01 pm
kuvasz, I knew you were a leftist, but I am getting a clearer picture now. Apparently, you are to the left of just about every Democrat in memory, to call them all war criminals along with the Republicans. So what does Noam Chomsky have to say about Joseph Stalin and Ho Chi Minh? Just how many million people did they cause to die according to Chomsky?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:09 am
Laughing Kuvasz, you must be joking. No one is that stupid.

Bill Clinton to the public:
Quote:
Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people.

Bill Clinton in depostion for Paula Jones (Wikipedia):
Quote:
In his deposition for the Jones lawsuit, Clinton denied having "sexual relations" with Lewinsky.

Definition of "sexual relations" (as if there's a second human on earth that doesn't consider a blowjob sexual relations):
Quote:
"For the purposes of this deposition, a person engages in sexual relations when the person knowingly engages in or causes:

1. Contact with the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any person with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person;
2. Contact between any part of the person's body or an object and the genitals or anus of another person; or
3. Contact between the genitals or anus of the person and any part of another person's body.

Contact means intentional touching, either directly or through clothing."

Anybody who doesn't have their head stuck too far up their A$$ can see that he was lying through his teeth and that he did indeed perjure himself.

That is quite obviously why he was impeached in the first place. If it wasn't for 45 out of 45 Democratic Senators turning the blind eye to the truth (along with 5 and 10 republicans on Articles 1 and 3) he would have been convicted as well. House impeached him by margins of 228-206 and 221-212 on Articles 1 and 3 respectively. Articles 1 and 3:
Article I: Perjury before grand jury on August 17, 1998
Article III: Obstruction of justice related to Paula Jones case

Further, for his obvious perjury (Wikipedia);
Quote:
The perjury allegations provoked the Arkansas Supreme Court to suspend Clinton's law license in April 2000. Clinton agreed to the 5-year suspension and to pay a $25,000 fine on January 19, 2001.

Further, for his obvious perjury (Wikipedia)
Quote:
The following October, the U.S. Supreme Court once again suspended Clinton's law license and gave him 40 days to convince them that he should not be disbarred permanently. Clinton surrendered his law license in response to these actions. Clinton has since made a living as an author and speaker.

More Wikipedia:
Quote:
In April 1999, about two months after being acquitted by the Senate, Clinton was cited by Federal District Judge Susan Webber Wright for civil contempt of court for his "willful failure" to obey her repeated orders to testify truthfully in the Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit. For this citation, Clinton was assessed a $90,000 fine, and the matter was referred to the Arkansas Supreme Court to see if disciplinary action would be appropriate.[10]

Regarding Clinton's January 17, 1998, deposition where he was placed under oath, the judge wrote:

"Simply put, the president's deposition testimony regarding whether he had ever been alone with Ms. (Monica) Lewinsky was intentionally false, and his statements regarding whether he had ever engaged in sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky likewise were intentionally false . . . ." [11]

Yet Kuvasz sits here and insults people for bringing up the obvious truth of the matter. Laughing He many be a clever liar; but he's a liar just the same.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:25 am
okie wrote:
kuvasz, I knew you were a leftist, but I am getting a clearer picture now. Apparently, you are to the left of just about every Democrat in memory, to call them all war criminals along with the Republicans. So what does Noam Chomsky have to say about Joseph Stalin and Ho Chi Minh? Just how many million people did they cause to die according to Chomsky?

Oh sweet Jesus on the Cross, how can you think in such a feeble way?According to you, none of these leaders did any of the abundantly documented things that the Nazis and Japanese did that got them hung?

When did intellectual dishonesty become a part of your political ideology?

I guess when your side began thinking that reality had a Left Wing bias.

And if you want to check my posts over the years both here and on abuzz.com, I am about the most virulent critic of the Red Chinese communist government one has ever seen.

I agree with Chomsky that Mao was the worst murderer of the 20th century, killing nearly 40-50 million of his own people and setting China back a generation with his "Great Leap " forward program that caused famine in the 50's. I was kicked off democraticunderground.com for attacking a guy who constantly praised Lenin and whose sig line incorporated the red hammer and sickle emblem (which I see as no less repugnant than the Nazi swastika).

So much for your fantasy of liberals being communists. Only a dull-witted moron exhibits such a lack of sophistication.

If anything, I am a late-40's-early-50-'s Schactmanite who believes that only a liberal, western style democracy can give the working class its due.

Political theory is not akin to analogy logic where it is only one think or its opposite. One can be honest and smart enough to see the warts on your own face and see a middle way.

btw: Chomsky has made it clear that he would likely be killed had he lived in Stalin's Russia, Ho's Viet Nam or Hitler's Third Reich, but that doesn't mean he is wrong in his assessment of the West's culpability for committing atrosities to maintain its economic empire.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 01:05 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Laughing Kuvasz, you must be joking. No one is that stupid.
You seem to be.

Bill Clinton to the public:
Quote:
Now, I have to go back to work on my State of the Union speech. And I worked on it until pretty late last night. But I want to say one thing to the American people. I want you to listen to me. I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky. I never told anybody to lie, not a single time; never. These allegations are false. And I need to go back to work for the American people.

Is it perjury or not? Was he convicted of it or not?

Bill Clinton in depostion for Paula Jones (Wikipedia):
Quote:
In his deposition for the Jones lawsuit, Clinton denied having "sexual relations" with Lewinsky.

Definition of "sexual relations" (as if there's a second human on earth that doesn't consider a blowjob sexual relations):
Quote:
"For the purposes of this deposition, a person engages in sexual relations when the person knowingly engages in or causes:

1. Contact with the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any person with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person;
2. Contact between any part of the person's body or an object and the genitals or anus of another person; or
3. Contact between the genitals or anus of the person and any part of another person's body.

Contact means intentional touching, either directly or through clothing."

Anybody who doesn't have their head stuck too far up their A$$ can see that he was lying through his teeth and that he did indeed perjure himself.

That is quite obviously why he was impeached in the first place. If it wasn't for 45 out of 45 Democratic Senators turning the blind eye to the truth (along with 5 and 10 republicans on Articles 1 and 3) he would have been convicted as well. House impeached him by margins of 228-206 and 221-212 on Articles 1 and 3 respectively. Articles 1 and 3:
Article I: Perjury before grand jury on August 17, 1998
Article III: Obstruction of justice related to Paula Jones case

Further, for his obvious perjury (Wikipedia);
Quote:
The perjury allegations provoked the Arkansas Supreme Court to suspend Clinton's law license in April 2000. Clinton agreed to the 5-year suspension and to pay a $25,000 fine on January 19, 2001.

Further, for his obvious perjury (Wikipedia)
Quote:
The following October, the U.S. Supreme Court once again suspended Clinton's law license and gave him 40 days to convince them that he should not be disbarred permanently. Clinton surrendered his law license in response to these actions. Clinton has since made a living as an author and speaker.

More Wikipedia:

Quote:
In April 1999, about two months after being acquitted by the Senate, Clinton was cited by Federal District Judge Susan Webber Wright for civil contempt of court for his "willful failure" to obey her repeated orders to testify truthfully in the Paula Jones sexual harassment lawsuit. For this citation, Clinton was assessed a $90,000 fine, and the matter was referred to the Arkansas Supreme Court to see if disciplinary action would be appropriate.[10]

Regarding Clinton's January 17, 1998, deposition where he was placed under oath, the judge wrote:

"Simply put, the president's deposition testimony regarding whether he had ever been alone with Ms. (Monica) Lewinsky was intentionally false, and his statements regarding whether he had ever engaged in sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky likewise were intentionally false . . . ." [11]

Yet Kuvasz sits here and insults people for bringing up the obvious truth of the matter. Laughing He many be a clever liar; but he's a liar just the same.

Is it perjury or not? was he convicted of it or not?

No, he wasn't and you saying he was without proof makes you a liar.

Saying someone is a liar is not the same thing as being convicted of perjury in a federal court. They are not the same thing, regardless of how you believe they are.

If you think so then you can say two plus two equals eleven only because you say it is.

Show me by quote the document that convicts Clinton of a perjury charge in federal court or kindly STFU up.

You quoted a lot of $hit, but failed to show any federal court papers showing Clinton was convicted of perjury.

You can't, because he wasn't.

Asherman made a completely understood declarative statement. He said Clinton was convicted of perjury in a federal court, not that he lied. Those are different things. A round peg is not a square hole.

You can say he lied, you can say he misled, but you have produced NO evidence that he was convicted of perjury in federal court.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 02:27 am
I wasn't responding to Asherman. I was responding to YOU-->
kuvasz wrote:
Clinton did not commit perjury.
This is complete and utter BS. The disgusting bit with the Cigar, the breast fondling and the blowjob all fall into the category of sexual relations to every honest person on this earth.

Meanwhile, back on the home planet, where everyone but the most idiotic among us knows that the guilty are not always convicted. Rolling Eyes Was OJ convicted? Was Nixon convicted? I've never been convicted of a drug offense. Does that mean I've never taken drugs? You're forwarding the argument of an idiot. How dare you call me a liar for speaking the well known truth?

To all but the deliberately obtuse; people who accept plea bargain type arrangements are considered GUILTY… not innocent.

Wikipedia wrote:
The aftermath: contempt of court citation

In January 2001, on the day before leaving office, Clinton agreed to a five-year suspension of his Arkansas law license as part of an agreement with the independent counsel to end the investigation. Based on this suspension, Clinton was also automatically suspended from the United States Supreme Court bar, from which he chose to resign.
Of course he chose to resign. He knew, just like everyone with an IQ over 50 knew, that the Supreme Court wasn't going to turn the blind eye to the truth like 45 out of 45 fellow Democrats did in the Senate. Most everyone forgives him for his perjury, but only an idiot would deny that it ever took place. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 12:48 pm
kuvasz wrote:

Oh sweet Jesus on the Cross, how can you think in such a feeble way?

I won't waste space by quoting your entire post. I just wanted to correct my previous mention of Stalin and Ho Chi Minh. I meant to say Stalin and Mao Tse Tung, not that it makes that much difference. Anyway, as soon as you mentioned Chomsky as one of your sources of information, I lost interest, and pretty much consider you a lost cause in terms of any logical debate about anything.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 01:07 pm
Well, this is what separates children from the adults who understand the English language. One cannot equate proclaiming a man commits perjury with having the person convicted of it.

Simple Aristotelian logic precedes the rise of Western civilization and modestly proclaims that

A is not equal to B;

that one thing that is not another are NOT equal.

You want unequal things to become equal and the only people who think so are idiots, crazy people, or children. So pick who you want to be out of that set.

Further, your remark that:

bill wrote:
I've never been convicted of a drug offense. Does that mean I've never taken drugs? You're forwarding the argument of an idiot. How dare you call me a liar for speaking the well known truth?

compounds and illustrates your lack of lucidity of the English language. It is you who are equating the USE of drugs with a CONVICTION of using them, and that is in fact childishly understanding of the language.

USE is not equal to a CONVICTION.

They are completely separate things.

If you don't think so, then on your next job application write in "yes" when you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime.

See what happens.

bill wrote:
How dare you call me a liar for speaking the well known truth?

Nothing you have cut and pasted show that he was convicted[/i] of perjury in a federal court. It just isn't a true statement. There has to be correspondence with reality, a verification. You haven't presented one, despite all your blustering. All you have rendered is your opinion and demanded that it be called fact.

You want others to believe that things that are not the same are the same. Adults generally refer to that as a lie.

If I used your method of logic I could as easily proclaim that my opinion of you as a worthless co*ks*cker should be considered a true fact.

Oddly, I had hoped Clinton would have resigned for his behavior, the arrogant, tactless jerk, but that was not our point of discussion. It was whether Bill Clinton had been convicted of committing perjury in Federal Court.

and as Aristole said 2300 years ago, A is not equal to B.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 01:16 pm
okie wrote:
Anyway, as soon as you mentioned Chomsky as one of your sources of information, I lost interest, and pretty much consider you a lost cause in terms of any logical debate about anything.

Yeah, nothing strikes fear into the hearts of illiterates like the words of world's most respected scholar of Linguistics.

But your wave of the hand does not disprove the documented criminal behavior of 12 US presidents. Chomsky merely mentioned their behavior, the evidence is stated in the history books.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:14 pm
Kuvasz; you can babble like a fool till the cows come home, and everything I wrote and quoted will still be true. Your request to move the goal posts from "commit" to "convict" is denied. That is what you wrote and that is what I responded to as the idiotic falsity that everyone with a mind knows it was:
Before running off at the mouth about understanding simple English, Kuvasz wrote:
Yes, he did. He was impeached and lost his Law license as a result of it.

Your entire argument about "conviction" constitutes a giant Strawman (unjustly littered with argumentum ad hominem to boot) as it pertains to me, as I haven't claimed the man was convicted. I did State my opinion that he would have been had 45 out of 45 fellow Democratic Politicians not turned the blind eye to the truth, but that is hardly the same thing as stating he was convicted. Who's doing the lying here? Who's having trouble with the English language? Who's backpedaling away from their own quoted words? You still can't quote me, but for reference' sake; I'll quote yours again:
Before running off at the mouth about understanding simple English, Kuvasz wrote:
If you can quote where I wrote he was convicted of perjury, you'll have a point and I'll admit it. You can't… and obviously don't have the same integrity; since your BS has been exposed and quoted repeatedly, yet you're still doing battle against a position neither of us forwarded. Rolling Eyes

Who do you think you're fooling by arguing against a position I haven't taken, while utterly ignoring the FALSE position you took, as I QUOTED it, and then furnished ample proof to demonstrate it FALSE? I don't think you really have that much trouble with the English language; I think you're too proud (even while making a fool of yourself) to admit when you're wrong. And make no further mistake; you are wrong. What else is new? Laughing
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:21 pm
http://www.aftercapitalism.com/Blueprint_for_the_Peace_Race.pdf
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:44 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Kuvasz wrote:
Yes, he did. He was impeached and lost his Law license as a result of it.

Ah, BILL, did you learn nothing from our previous discussion on this subject?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 04:51 pm
O'Bill said;
Quote:
He was impeached and lost his Law license as a result of it.

please help me with this, please explain as I really don't understand this statement.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 05:39 pm
Clinton did not commit perjury. The law defines perjury very clearly, even if you don't.

Perjury requires proof that an individual knowingly made a false statement while under oath. Answers to questions that are literally true are not perjury.

Even if an answer doesn't directly answer the question asked, it is not perjury if it is true , no accused has an obligation to help his accuser.

Answers to fundamentally ambiguous questions also can never be perjury. And nobody can be convicted of perjury based on only one other person's testimony.

Most of the illegal leaks suggesting Clinton's testimony was perjurious falsely describe his testimony. First of all, the President never testified in the Jones deposition that he was not alone with Monica Lewinsky. Clinton never testified that his relationship with Monica Lewinsky was the same as with any other intern.

To the contrary, he admitted exchanging gifts with her, knowing about her job search, receiving cards and notes from her, and knowing other details of her personal life that made it plain he had a special relationship with her.

Clinton admitted he had an improper sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky. In a civil deposition, he gave narrow answers to ambiguous questions. As a matter of law, those answers could not give rise to a criminal charge of perjury.

In the face of Clinton's admission of his relationship, the disclosure of lurid and salacious allegations could only be intended to humiliate Clinton and force him from office.

Instead of taking your legal lesson like an adult simply admit that you used your terms both loosely and incorrectly.

But if not, let's make it easy for you; quote the part of Clinton's Grand Jury testimony that the Federal Courts, (not merely your august opinion) found to be an act of perjury and how Clinton was convicted of it according to the "Rule of Law" and not merely in the wallaby court of your crazy opinion.

Get over it and try getting it right next time.

btw: I don't really think you are a worthless c*cks*cker... that was a low blow, but teabagger...maybe.

But like your's on Clinton is only my opinion.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:07 pm
kuvasz wrote:
btw: I don't really think you are a worthless c*cks*cker... that was a low blow, but teabagger...maybe.
Laughing That was actually one of your better arguments. Continuing to pretend commit and convict are synonymous remains idiotic.

Dys, both his impeachment and loss of license were direct results of his perjury. What's not to understand? Had he testified honestly about his affair with Lewinsky; neither would have happened because there was no crime in the sexual relation itself.

Watch: "My name I Bill Clinton and I'm sorry to have to admit, because I don't think it's any of your business, that I did indeed have sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky. On what grounds would he have been impeached? On what grounds would he have been stripped of his Law License? NONE.

Joe, don't fall into Kuvasz's fallacious attempt to paint me as having claimed Clinton was convicted. I did no such thing. Considering the purpose of his testimony, other inappropriate relationships are very much "material" which is why he was ORDERED to testify truthfully in the first place. He did not. Attempts to pretend the Q&A was ambiguous are as transparent as Clinton's subsequently admitted to lies. Play word games all day long if it makes you happy, but the FACTs remain the same. Had Clinton not perjured himself; he wouldn't have been impeached and he wouldn't have had his license suspended. If this isn't so; please explain why he lost his License.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 07:33 pm
Here it is in black and white

DISPLAYING ABSTRACT - Pres Clinton, on last full day in office, agrees to settlement in which he will avoid possibility of indictment in exchange for admitting he gave false testimony under oath and agreeing to surrender his law license for five years; deal with special prosecutor Robert W Ray is stunning end to long melodrama and pitched legal battles over Clinton's relationship with Monica Lewinsky; also ends any criminal liability in Whitewater case and concludes $60-million investigation that plagued Clintons for much of their time in White House; Clinton explicitly admits that 'certain of my responses' were false when he gave 1998 deposition about Lewinsky in Paula Jones sexual misconduct suit; will pay $25,000 fine to Arkansas Bar Assn and promises not to seek reimbursement of legal fees from federal court, as he would be entitled to do as person investigated but not indicted; statement ending weeks of negotiationsis read at White House; Clinton is described as relieved but unhappy that last day in office is marked again by scandal; attorney David Kendall says president is glad to have 'closure'; Ray reportedly did not want to leave issue, and pardon question, to incoming president George W Bush...

This can only be viewed as an admission of guilt to avoid prosecution. Pretending otherwise is silly.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 09:23 pm
bill wrote:
That was actually one of your better arguments. Continuing to pretend commit and convict are synonymous remains idiotic.

Seriously, did you edit that remark after typing it? Because I have always maintained just the opposite.

Actually they aren't synonymous, as I showed earlier by example when using your statement about your own use of illegal drugs in an earlier post. You could admit you committed the act of using illegal drugs and still not be convicted for it.

Yet saying you did it is not the same as a court saying so, and unlike the vernacular term "using drugs," "perjury" is a legal term.

You are acting like Humpty Dumpty by using words only the way you want without regard to the actual meaning and using the legal term "perjury" without applying its legal meaning is okay only in a wallaby court of public opinion; but it is not the same as a court saying so by a conviction for it.

Its quite "Clintonesque" on your part actually, and like Pogo you have met the enemy and it is you.

Apparently, you don't seem to understand the English language vis-a-vis the legal definition of perjury. I went to joefromchicago's link and in it he provided it to you over two years ago and you still appear not to have understood it.

I never stated that Bill Clinton did not lie in his Grand Jury testimony. I stated that he has actions were NOT found in court to rise to the level of perjury. You can not say Clinton committed perjury without a court deciding so. It is a legal term you are applying in a non-legal way.

Its just more sloppy thinking from you.

You can say that Clinton lied, that he made fallacious statements but the use of the term "perjury" cannot be applied because a court did not decide on it.

Like OJ Simpson, you can say he murdered his wife, but he was not found guilty of murdering his wife. If you want say he did it, go right ahead, but if you say he is guilty of it you are right back to the same problem you have debating "Clinton committed perjury," viz., the term is misapplied.

What has become fascinating is your attempt to demand that only your own meaning be applicable when it is entirely untrue.

bill wrote:
Play word games all day long if it makes you happy, but the FACTs remain the same. Had Clinton not perjured himself; he wouldn't have been impeached and he wouldn't have had his license suspended.

"Words games?" You remind me of one of my graduate students who answered a test question on the synthesis of Neville Winther's Acid by describing that for Naphthionic Acid and wanted an A on it because it was done correctly, but that was not what was asked on my test and he got no credit.

Holding one to the actual meaning of words is the basis of communication itself. That Joe called you on it two years ago as I did now shows you haven't learned anything over that time.

btw: That last quote of yours is an example of the legal term of fallacious logic referred to as "Post Hoc. Ergo Propter Hoc." A whole show about it was done on the West Wing back in 1999.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 05:21 am
Laughing No way you just said that? Shocked Sorry dude; I haven't seen the "West Wing" so I can't know where you get your imaginary evidence from. TV does seem like a fitting source, so I'm closer to forgiving you for such idiocy. However, the FACTs remain the same:

Bill Clinton lied in a court of law which is, of course, considered perjury by any rational definition of the word... and he subsequently, voluntarily, surrendered his license to practice law in exchange for immunity for same. These are the FACTS... and every contention to the contrary can only be considered idiotic.

BTW, not only do I agree with you he should have stepped down; I suspect he loosed the word himself to distract the investigation from infinitely more important things that he also would never have to worry about again... after his essential plea bargain. Very clever man... but none of that changes the simple fact that he essentially plead out of the perjury charges that everyone with a 10% open mind knows he was guilty of.... Fools not withstanding. Rolling Eyes

Clinton himself admitted to his lies. How is it even possible that idiots continue to deny them?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 08:26 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Clinton himself admitted to his lies. How is it even possible that idiots continue to deny them?

The answer is "emotional attachment." I am not a shrink, but I think it is probably something along those lines.
0 Replies