13
   

I quit my job today to be a professional poker player...

 
 
Craven de Kere
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:24 pm
Nah, I got close to half-million paydays a handful of times but didn't make it.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:25 pm
damn!
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 01:42 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Can you distinguish? I thought if you're addicted to gambling, it doesn't
matter if poker, blackjack, slots etc. - gambling is gambling.


I think that what Wilso was trying to say is that some gambling involves more "gamble" than others.

Poker is all about how you pick your spots to gamble, so those who like to gamble disproportionately do very poorly and usually don't stay long (preferring pure gambling games instead).

But as I've said, I disagree that there aren't gambling addicts in poker, I think there are many.



My (limited, not my field) understanding of the psychological aspects of addictive gambling is that a goodly part of the "rush" is the excitement as you wait to see if you have won (surely the same in all gambling? I am a gambling luddite, so I may be wrong) plus the intermittent reinforcement of the pleasure of actually winning. I would assume poker MAY have less of the second than games of pure chance??????
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 09:39 am
I know the winner gets the biggest pot, but how are the second and third place winners pot calculated?
0 Replies
 
Craven de Kere
 
  1  
Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2007 02:15 am
dlowan wrote:
I would assume poker MAY have less of the second than games of pure chance??????


Nah, it's got a nice variable schedule of reinforcement for all playing skills. But because it is confrontational and because your decisions actually have value, anyone who plays long enough knows that to "gamble" in poker is ultimately to elect a losing strategy and that's not as fun as a game where there's nothing to it but gamble.

cicerone imposter wrote:
I know the winner gets the biggest pot, but how are the second and third place winners pot calculated?


In cash games, there is no winner or loser to the game, only for individual hands.

In tournament poker, the structure is determined by the tournament organizers. For example, it may be that 15% of the players will finish "in the money" and the winner takes, say 20% of the total prize pool and then it dramatically drops till the bottom half of those "in the money" get little more than twice their buy-in.

That's just an example and each tournament can differ (I just played a "winner take all" tournament for e.g.)

Here's an example of the 6-handed WSOP tournament I played:

http://www.thepokerforum.com/wsop0712.htm

The buy in was $1,500 and there were 1,427 players for a $1,947,855 prize pool. 126 places paid and the payouts ranged from $481,698 to $2,143.
0 Replies
 
baddog1
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:45 am
craven:

Poker is a hobby of mine. I've greatly reduced online play because I am unconvinced that there is no foul play involved, but am enjoying local live tournaments at area pubs & eateries. An age old question involves bad-beats and we've all got stories of them.

My question has more to do with suckouts than horrendous bad beats. You know the type - loose player raising every hand, stealing blinds and all. Invariably - I will be dealt a mid-large pair and raise. Loose goes in - I call. Loose has K-8 off and spikes K-8 by the river. This is only an example, but you get the drift.

I realize this happens with everyone and the stat's claim that the loose/chasers will eventually lose in the long run and the more steady players will profit.

Have you experienced much of this since turning "pro" and if so - how are you dealing with it?
0 Replies
 
OGIONIK
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:59 pm
@George,
playing professional poker is one of my dreams, damn watching maverick etc..

FUnny, i read this thing everyday i wrote on how to u know, like life lessons, the first one is "be realistic", at the same time i was raised here in the epitome of poker, and yet its not very realistic, except for the fact i read people like books.

i might see you at the tables one day my friend.
OGIONIK
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 11:01 pm
@OGIONIK,
i usually play tight, what is it, tight loose aggressive and submissive? whats the other way? not submissive umm.. i cant think of it jesus to many old e's for sheezy
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  3  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:57 am
Today was my first day back to doing poker for a job. Of course, it's also the first session I lost money in this year. It figures that when it really matters the going gets tough.

Sometimes it sucks having a job where you can lose money at the end of a long day.
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
I sincerely hope going back to this line of work has nothing to do with A2K financial worries, Robert.

It sounds a very stressful situation. I'm wondering why you've gone back to it. Though, of course, that is none of my business.

dadpad
 
  2  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
Its no different to any self employed contractor. If you get the esatimates wrong its all over red rover.
Robert Gentel
 
  4  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:41 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I sincerely hope going back to this line of work has nothing to do with A2K financial worries, Robert.


A2k is fine, it's running at a small loss now with the ad market contracting but it's not because of that.

Quote:
It sounds a very stressful situation. I'm wondering why you've gone back to it. Though, of course, that is none of my business.


Some companies I had contracts with are going under and this week I lost 80% of my income. I don't really have a choice but to take up poker again while I recover from that. I don't really like playing poker for work (and it certainly can be stressful when you are losing) but I'm grateful that it's an option I can fall back on at times like these.
msolga
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 03:08 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you for your response to my prying, Robert. I was wondering if I was rather out of line there ....
And I'd much prefer (from your perspective) that A2K was running at a small (or even bigger! Smile ) profit, rather than a small loss ...

Quote:
Some companies I had contracts with are going under and this week I lost 80% of my income. I don't really have a choice but to take up poker again while I recover from that. I don't really like playing poker for work (and it certainly can be stressful when you are losing) but I'm grateful that it's an option I can fall back on at times like these.


I'm genuinely sorry you feel there's no choice but to (reluctantly) take up the poker option again, Robert. But I'm wishing you all the very best of luck at it! And yes, I'm (strangely, for me) glad you have such an option open to you, if it can indeed make such a difference to your circumstances. But I can only imagine how stressful this line of work is. Do try & take good care of yourself as you go about it, OK?



0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 05:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well damn anyway.

However, wishing you good maths and cool judgment.

And pots of gold.
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:55 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:
Its no different to any self employed contractor. If you get the esatimates wrong its all over red rover.


That wouldn't be too bad, but in poker you can get it right and still lose big.
Roberta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:41 pm
I'm remembering some good advice you gave to someone looking for advice on poker playing. The word "fold" is your friend.

Bon chance.
0 Replies
 
panzade
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
true true....good luck, I wish I was good at poker, but I suck.
Izzie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
just good fortune wishes to you, Robert...
0 Replies
 
panzade
 
  2  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:51 pm
Lord Elp, how I miss him...a classic post on this thread:
Quote:
Zo.......(stroking fluffy white lap cat)....you sink you can beat me at Poker, eh Meester De Kere?

Vell, I vill geev you some teeps.

You zee, you haf to know ven to hold zem, und also know ven to fold zem, you alzo haf to know when to walk avay, und alzo ven to run.
Never count your money ven you are zitting at ze table, az zere vill be time enough for ze counting ven ze dealing ist done.

I sink zese vords vill make a mighty fine zong vun day.
0 Replies
 
Wilso
 
  1  
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:42 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

true true....good luck, I wish I was good at poker, but I suck.


Me too. It would sure beat working in a steel factory. Love watching the WPT.
 

Related Topics

Poker Celebration - Discussion by Nick Ashley
Poker game of skill, not chance, NY judge rules - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
POKER!!! - Discussion by OGIONIK
I can't win unless I am willing to lose. - Discussion by maxdancona
Today the USA killed the online poker industry - Discussion by Robert Gentel
i started playing poker again.... - Discussion by og617m4ch1ne
poker Hands - Question by 5112ap
How much would you tip a poker dealer? - Discussion by ebrown p
 
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/20/2019 at 07:44:59