I can't win unless I am willing to lose.

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 11:25 am
I play poker. Poker is a game that forces you to think in the long term. Poker is a game of skill and over the long term a good poker player will do a whole lot better than average players. But the fact is that even the best poker players in the world lose most of their games.

A good poker player focuses on the situation he is in at that moment. You think about what is the optimal way to act right now, not worrying about winning or losing. Poker forces you to accept that fact that even playing perfectly you may lose everything. So all you can do is focus on making your best move with the resources and information you have at the moment.

Winning and losing are distractions. Any emotion be it worry or desire or excitement or fear or disappointment or exuberance will impact my ability to think dispassionately about what is optimal play in the moment. You have to put all that aside and make the best decision dispassionately.

It strikes me that this is a good lesson for life. The focus should be on doing what is best with the information and resources we have and not worrying about winning or losing or other short term concerns.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,450 • Replies: 3
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2011 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes, Poker is a very interesting game.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:15 pm
@maxdancona,
Robert, a (former?) professional poker player, is sure to have something interesting to say on this subject. I hope that we hear from him.
0 Replies

penglund

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 08:43 am
@maxdancona,
Yes, this is very true.

Poker needs assumptions on occasion and some 'educated guesses' but on the whole Poker is a life lesson
0 Replies