Texas Hold'em - Poker After Dark - etc

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
Lately we've been watching a lot of this Smile I'm loving it!

We played the other night - 4 of us - and I won the final pot... don't know whether it was beginner's luck, or due to the Daniel Negreanu book I read, or just plain old-fashioned spidey senses, but it was fun Smile I won $60 in total - lol. I know, I know.... big deal. Didn't win a bracelent, but it was fun.

And I love watching it on tv.

Anybody else into this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,924 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:41 pm
Daughters boyfriend has a regular night. she's is not so much impressed
Mame

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 07:43 pm
@dadpad,
there's an on-line site that you can play against robots which is free if you want to practice... I don't ever see myself gambling my hard-earned money away but if you do it in small doses, it can be fun. Sorry 'bout the boyfriend.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:00 pm
@Mame,
I don't watch that much on TV (I will watch if it is on), but I have had a growing addiction to the game of poker for the past year.

I generally play no-limit hold'em tournaments both sit-n-gos and bigger tournaments. I am at the point where I am breaking even after paying a fair amount of dues to learn the game.

I came at the game from a mathematical perspective (I am a math geek). The combination of math and psychology make the game fascinating.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:02 pm
@Mame,
I don't think playing against robots is worthwhile. Poker is a human game... and to play well, you need to understand how humans work. There are on-line sites where you can play for free, and some of these have some good play.

I prefer sitting around a real table where I can see my adversaries face to face.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:03 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Sorry 'bout the boyfriend.

He's a nice (veggo) guy, I think she just complains cause they eat everything she makes.
Nothing they cant afford.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 08:13 pm
your re-raise after calling has me bluffed both ways to breakfast brown
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:02 pm
In my younger days, I was a competitive chess player. In this pursuit I was coached to "play the board, not the man" (meaning you should make the best move no matter who you are playing against).

Poker is the exact opposite. Almost everything I do at a poker table is based on who is in the hand with me.
oolongteasup

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:31 pm
@ebrown p,
pawn to king 4
ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:58 pm
@oolongteasup,
I haven't played a serious game of chess in almost 20 years.

I was at the point in my game where I either had to dive off the cliff and make chess my life, or back away--- I looked down that path for a while, and considered the people I knew who had made the leap into a life of chess.

Then I stepped away from the game and never looked back.

Poker is a new love... I may get to this point of decision again, but I am not quite there yet.
0 Replies