Poker Celebration

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 03:13 am
So I went and played in my weekly home game tonight, but really felt it was more as something to do for celebration of the site opening, rather then 'because it was thursday'. Anyways, it was at another guys house, which gave me a nice 30min ride on my motorcycle to get there.

I donkyed (or 'donkied'? how do you spell that?) away 40 bucks in about 30min or so (40 is the average buy in, 25/50 cent blinds). I actually had alot of fun doing that, playing very loose, which anyone who has played with me knows is not like me at all (and why i lost it).

Then I bought in for 20 more, and having gotten the wild streak out, was back to playing like my normal self. I wasn't getting the best cards, but made some good plays, and won a decent amount without having to show my cards. I worked my way back up to $60, so I was breaking even at that point. Then lost a $40 hand when I didn't believe the guy had a straight. At this point, my luck turned around, and I actually started getting some decent starting hands. I ended up cashing out around 100, up 40 for the night. Not alot of money, but I enjoyed the roller coaster ride. In fact, it was the most fun $40 I've earned in quite a while.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 01:53 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nice to get to know you a little bit more.

I imagine it's spelled donkeyed. I have squirreled and I have buffaloed but I have never donkeyed. Oh and I've been dogged for years. Smile
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 02:08 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Wanna know something? Winning isn't fun in poker. Swinging is.

The best poker nights of my life I was down over a grand and came back to break even or make a dollar.

I still remember the last big one, I had dropped close to $1500 and went nuts trying to get it back. The poker room wanted to close but I offered to pay the dealers to keep dealing. By 8 AM I was up about 100 (with some great monsters over monsters to help me) and I paid the dealers, tipped them my winnings and left happy with $0 to speak for after almost 20 hours of poker.

It's even more fun to lose a bunch than grind away to win a little for me.
Nick Ashley

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2008 08:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
When one plays poker as much as you have, Robert.. I imagine winning isn't as fun, and losing isn't as upsetting. I generally have a good time playing poker in all situations.

In fact I only remember becoming mad in a poker game once. It was in the hallway of a hotel during a waterski tournament, and some jackass tried to claim I was stealing chips from his stack when he wasn't looking.

Insult my poker playing, and that's fine. Lying about my integrity is something completely different.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 06:44 pm
@Nick Ashley,
I hear you about the rude guys. When I ran the poker room in the Horseshoe (Costa Rica, not Vegas of course) there were always some odd moments and lots of fights to separate.
0 Replies