Up or down vote?

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:38 pm
The republicans just want fair treatment which is why they voted against having an up or down vote today.
Makes sense to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 551 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 07:43 pm
the little dears are feeling put upon... bless their hearts..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:05 pm
I am still disappointed that they never had an up or down vote on Harriet Miers.

Joe(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/43/HarrietMiers.jpg/160px-HarrietMiers.jpg)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:23 pm
They show a whole lot of chutzpa!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 02:51 pm
Re: Up or down vote?
dyslexia wrote:
The republicans just want fair treatment which is why they voted against having an up or down vote today.
Makes sense to me.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't want to hear any dems whine that were supporting the blocking of up or down votes in the last 6 years.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 04:23 pm
I think its time for the voters to take on a debating society that wont even do the job its paid to do. Why should the senate be able to vote whether it will debate any proposition presented by one of its members when a majority of the senate wants to debate its merits. No wonder the majority of our citizens has nothing but distain for these bunch of doddering fools. I for one am going to call and write all my so called representaves at the federal level and let them know I for one wont forget this at election time.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 11:52 pm
Baldimo wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Makes sense to me.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't want to hear any dems whine that were supporting the blocking of up or down votes in the last 6 years.

Good luck on that.

Let's face it though, there's a disconnect between Republicans arguing against filibuster and their using it as a legislative tool.

That's politics though.

The politicians will do what they do. it is incumbent on the rest of us citizens to not fall prey to the hypocrisy.

Either the filibuster rule works or it does not.

It is venal, though, for those who argued for it to now protest against it.

(Read: Good Ole Dys)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:14 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Makes sense to me.

Good luck on that.

Let's face it though, there's a disconnect between Republicans arguing against filibuster and their using it as a legislative tool.

That's politics though.

The politicians will do what they do. it is incumbent on the rest of us citizens to not fall prey to the hypocrisy.

Either the filibuster rule works or it does not.

It is venal, though, for those who argued for it to now protest against it.

(Read: Good Ole Dys)

Yes of course Finn, there are numerous examples of me arguing for it (I had on my Stetson) I'm sure you can demonstrate such.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 07:43 am
Not sure what your issue is here Dys. But, no matter, read the following;

MEDIA BIAS? NO WAY! (YEAH, RIGHT.)

Now let's sit back a bit here and watch the media at work.

Yesterday you saw headlines in newspapers and heard many TV talking heads telling you that the Republicans had blocked debate on an anti-war resolution in the U.S. Senate. But is this the way things really happened? Just where did the media get this story? Where did the mainstream media come up with the idea that the Republicans were trying to stop the debate?

Well .. it came from a vote. A cloture vote. Republicans refused to step forward and vote for the cloture motion, so it failed. But just what is a motion for cloture? Why, it's a motion to stop debate and vote on the issue in question! The issue in question here the Democrat non-binding resolution opposing Bush's moves in Iraq.

Are you following this? There's a debate going on in the Senate. The debate is over a Democrat-inspired resolution condemning George Bush and his latest actions in Iraq. The Democrats bring a motion to the floor to stop the debate and vote on the resolution. The Republicans vote against the motion. The debate goes on ... and suddenly the left-wing media is reporting that the Republicans are trying to block debate on the Iraq war in the Senate? On what level does this make sense?

If the situation were reversed and it was the Republicans bring a cloture motion to the floor of the Senate, with the Democrats opposing the motion, you can bet your first born that the mainstream leftist press would be blaming the Republicans for trying to stifle debate in the Senate.

The truth is that the Republicans have kept the debate going ... rather than blocking it. But Harry Reid gets up there and accuses of the Republicans of trying to block debate and the media grabs Reid's slant and runs with it. But what would you expect? Reid is the Democrat leader of the Senate! Do you really expect the media to do anything other than adopt his slant?

There is more to the story. Why are the Democrats so anxious to vote on their anti-war resolution and be done with it? Because the Republicans have another resolution they want considered. It's called the Gregg resolution and it was introduced by Republican Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire. The Gregg resolution would state that the Senate would oppose any reduction in funding for troops in Iraq. Harry Reid called Gregg's resolution a "diversionary tactic" and refused to allow it to come to a vote. So the Republicans have in turned refused to allow the Democrats anti-war resolution to come to a vote. The Democrats are afraid that the Gregg resolution would get more votes than their favored Warner-Levin anti-war version .. and that would make them look bad.

Now once again, and all together ... "there is no liberal bias to in the mainstream media!"

Yeah .. sure.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 10:31 am
Whats interesting is that the repubs are now doing to the dems the exact same thing the dems did to the repubs.

The dems wanted the rules this way,now its coming back to bite them.

The repubs still control the Senate,because the dems dont have the votes to accomplish much of what they want,and they certainly dont have the votes to override any Presidential veto.
This next two years is gonna be fun to watch,as the dems get bit on the ass by their own rules.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 10:41 am
I never heard so much pussified whining in my entire life.

I mean I would expect it from mealy mouthed terrorist loving liberals but it's just a little disapointing when it comes from the All American God fearing right living zero tolerance right.

I thought you heroes were tougher than that.
0 Replies