I'm in love again: Cartier-Bresson at Work

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:32 pm
I've always "gotten" Bresson. New show on his work, along with Martin Munkacsi's, at the International Center for Photography in New York City - LINK (look: If you're interested, even if you're not going to NY, there are photos on the link)
and,
Cartier Bresson link

and

Here's a SLATE slide show with comments on the photos, mostly Cartier-Bresson's
(Martin Munkacsi is new to me...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 13
No top replies

noinipo

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:50 pm
To me Cartier-Bresson was always the greatest. I saw his exhibition in Toronto a few years ago.
I once read that he had his little old Leica and no light meter. He judged the light and exposed correctly every time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:54 pm
The Slate author's commentary was interesting on that..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 05:56 pm
I like Marc Riboud too, but never see much about him...
0 Replies

1926rich

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:11 am
Great Photographer
Never heard of him in till 1971, I went to a White Elephant Sale held by the Womens Club of Canton,
I came across a a book Decisive Moments for $1.00. I read it bought it for a dollar. I think it`s one of the great books of my time Still have the book.
Wish I could afford one of his larger original photos.
Yes ,I still hit those White Elephant Sales

http://www.e-photobooks.com/cartier-bresson/decisive-moment.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 10:18 am
If I had a different bank account, I'd be a photography collector.. as it is, I often have bought books, often from used book stores.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
A few years back I treated myself to a copy of "HCB and the Artless Art". In addition to all of the well known photos it has an amazing amount of not otherwise published pictures. The text is dry and academic but interesting.

I highly recommend it to HCB fans. I have a lot of photo books and this is the one I take down to browse through most often.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:44 pm
WOW
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 12:57 pm
In the olden days when I was serious about photography (black and white) you could still buy technical pan f film and Medalist paper from the local camera shop. I used a Pentax 4 x 5 and a Canon F1n 35 mm. I have no idea what is still available in the line of film or paper. I still have the Canon F1n.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 01:54 pm
Ok i found a source for Ilford Delta 100 iso, Professional film, anyone have any experience with this film?
0 Replies

VioletChild

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:11 pm
I adore slides 2 and 7. There is just something about both of them.

Slide 2 has a lot of reflections and movement in it. I have a thing for rain/reflection right now.

With 7 I think it was just the angles caught me..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
I am familiar with Bresson, but hadn't seen a real assemblage of his photos. His eye for the geometry of a photograph was pretty amazing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:15 am
The other fellow in the photo show, Martin Munkacsi, whom I'd never heard of before I saw the Slate article, turns out to have had a major role in the development of photojournalism, and also in fashion photography. I caught on to this in the mentions of him in an article about Leni Riefenstahl that I read this last weekend in the New Yorker -

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2007/03/19/070319crbo_books_thurman
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 01:48 pm
What a great man he must have been. There is something about Hungarians that is admirable and exciting.
Robert Capa was the greatest war photographer. He was like an implausible Hollywood idol, only he was for real. He said no to Ingrid Bergman because he knew that he would not live long. Here are a few things he said:
* "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."

* "It's not enough to have talent, you also have to be Hungarian."

* "The truth is the best picture, the best propaganda."

* "This war is like an actress who is getting old. It is less and less photogenic and more and more dangerous." (Speaking of WWII)

* "The desire of any war photographer is to be put out of business."
http://tinyurl.com/3axj3d
0 Replies