Are we just a bunch of numbers?

fresco

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:26 pm
I don't know about you but as I get older my (young) physician seems to be obsessed with taking my blood pressure, my cholesterol count and all things numerical to feed into his computer. Is "health" now merely a statistical exercise driven by the needs of the insurance companies and computer based diagnoses? and doesn't this numbers game detract from the quality of existence by increasing the stress levels with each numerical limit that is brought to our attention?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,628 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:31 pm
it is MONEY!

They have to meet targets and quotas to earn extra money and your checks are part of their targets.

The end result is that your health is better monitored - but it isn't the primary motivation!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:38 pm
fresco, Yes, it is mostly numbers, but they represent where you fit in the healthy scores for most people. Systolic, diastolic, HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, heart rate, are all meaningful numbers to your doc. If it's too high or too low, they try to help you change your lifestyle or by meds to bring you back to a healthy range. A balanced diet supplemented by regular excercise is the best medicine. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:27 pm
The Docs need numbers, because it's fast....That's the name of the game, today. If most MDs would just take time to TALK to patients, today, what do you bet many dugs wouldn't have to be prescribed.

You cholesterol is important, as is your blood pressure. But what aobut your emotions ? What about your spiritual life? What about your concerns about death?

Numbers are taken, recorded and you are labeled. You are "normal", pre-hypertensive, hypertensive, etc. So what now?
Get out the old Rx pad, and write a presciption.

You're depressed? Does the Doc ask you about this. Remember, total time'patient is 15 min. Really only 10, after you factor in all the variables . How can anyone talk about their depression in 10 min?

So...Doc writes another Rx.

This is modern medicine.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:03 pm
Bottom line. My HMO's got tens of thousands of patients (or are they clients?). Can't have those high-paid doctors talking to me, especially will all those poeple waiting outside, wishing somebody would spring for some magazines to thumb through.

Just for the hell of it, a comedian threw out a number on the tee-vee box a few months ago that's a little chilling, because he's probably right: 2 million New Yorkers could drop dead tonight, and traffic would still suck tomorrow.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:52 pm
pd, Yes, patient-client-customers. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:57 pm
...consumers...
0 Replies