Dunno about you all

Sunrock

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:16 am
My politics are Liberal. I am no fan of Mr. Bush. However, I get embarrassed when Liberals complain, or do their hostile (though warranted) protesting. It just sounds so whiny, silly.

What's wrong? How come protesting has been reduced to something almost unbearable to listen to or even watch?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 560 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:20 am
Re: Dunno about you all
Sunrock wrote:
My politics are Liberal. I am no fan of Mr. Bush. However, I get embarrassed when Liberals complain, or do their hostile (though warranted) protesting. It just sounds so whiny, silly.

What's wrong? How come protesting has been reduced to something almost unbearable to listen to or even watch?

It hasn't changed or been reduced, my friend; the much more likely cause is that you have changed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 11:26 am
This may be the case. However, because the world moves at an accelerated pace as compared to the pre-internet days, it seems the whole protest movement has lost it's urgency, why go anywhere when it can all be virtual.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:10 pm
Sunrock wrote:
This may be the case. However, because the world moves at an accelerated pace as compared to the pre-internet days, it seems the whole protest movement has lost it's urgency, why go anywhere when it can all be virtual.

Imagery. If you see a group of one hundred thousand people marching in protest against something it has much more power than an image or even a video on a screen of 20 inches at the most. An actual protest rally or march is much more lively than an e-mail or a dull page on a website.
Whether or not I agree with a particular group foaming at their collective mouths or not, I am still happy when I see that some people still have strong enough convictions and beliefs to stand up for those beliefs.

Which would move you more? A webpage with a list of what the group is fighting for (or against), or thousands of people outside chanting or screaming and giving actual speeches/orations on what they believe and to be doing it in freezing weather or boiling hot weather? Virtual has its place but not as the sole means of conducting a protest.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:25 pm
It was an observation, not a statement about a preference for protests going virtual. The urgency doesn't seem as great as in the pre-internet days.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:27 pm
Things haven't got bad enough yet.

The administration has done a good job of sealing the war off from the American public; no photos of dead soldiers coming home, no taxes raised to pay for the war. Constant attacks against anyone who disagrees with the position of the President, increased polarization and fear of authority.

If Iraq doesn't get better, and we don't leave, the protests will simply get worse and worse until they become mobs...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:32 pm
Not bad enough? I know what you are saying, but it's pretty bad. Plus, this president is going to do what he wants to do, no matter what.

Did I hear this correctly, is Iran now sending their own troops into Iraq to foil the US effort. It wouldn't surprise me, considering the supreme arrogance of the US.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:34 pm
Sunrock wrote:
Not bad enough? I know what you are saying, but it's pretty bad. Plus, this president is going to do what he wants to do, no matter what.

Did I hear this correctly, is Iran now sending their own troops into Iraq to foil the US effort. It wouldn't surprise me, considering the supreme arrogance of the US.

It is likely that they have been doing this from day one. Just another one of our many strategic errors in attacking Iraq.

Don't kid yourself; things could (and if there isn't change, will) get a lot, lot worse in terms of civil unrest here at home.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:00 pm
Start up the draft and you'll see urgency at protests.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 07:22 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Start up the draft and you'll see urgency at protests.

I agree.
0 Replies