Atheists, smarter than religious people

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:43 pm
To Edgar, I'll edit my first sentence -
I see your point, Edgar, and don't argue it to you, though it isn't my particulate opinion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:48 pm
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
While I don't mind the distinction of one who is without god, but who at the same time doesn't haggle over the possibility of a god, I don't see it that way at all. They invented god from the imagination, simply because their emotions, or reasoning, told them there has to be one. An assertion without foundation. I don't need evidence to reject such a fiction totally.

I can accept that you don't need evidence for your rejection. However, do you have evidence of the rest of your claim? Specifically that God was invented from the imagination of emotional people without reason?

Do you have evidence it wasn't?

It was your claim.....not mine. I take that as a no. You cannot provide evidence of what you are claiming. Rolling Eyes

The evidence is particularly in the religious inability to produce evidence, even with thousands of years to do so. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:08 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
While I don't mind the distinction of one who is without god, but who at the same time doesn't haggle over the possibility of a god, I don't see it that way at all. They invented god from the imagination, simply because their emotions, or reasoning, told them there has to be one. An assertion without foundation. I don't need evidence to reject such a fiction totally.

I can accept that you don't need evidence for your rejection. However, do you have evidence of the rest of your claim? Specifically that God was invented from the imagination of emotional people without reason?

It was your claim.....not mine. I take that as a no. You cannot provide evidence of what you are claiming. Rolling Eyes

The evidence is particularly in the religious inability to produce evidence, even with thousands of years to do so. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

As usual, you are evading the question and changing the subject. I am asking you to provide evidence for what you wrote. Your answer is a childish retort that bears no substance.

You are doing little to further the premise that atheists are of superior intelligence.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:13 pm
Terry wrote:
Frank, I don't think any of the studies I read about differentiated between hard and soft atheism, although I'd have to look them up to be sure.

But to be fair, the statement "I believe in God" is just as ambiguous as the statement "I am an athiest." An article about a Baylor survey which differentiates belief in four distinct versions of God:

Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY wrote:
•The Authoritarian God (31.4% of Americans overall, 43.5% in the South) is angry at humanity's sins and engaged in every creature's life and world affairs. He is ready to throw the thunderbolt of judgment down on "the unfaithful or ungodly," says Bader.

Those who envision God this way "are religiously and politically conservative people, more often black Protestants and white evangelicals," says Bader. "(They) want an active, Christian-values-based government with federal funding for faith-based social services and prayer in the schools."

They're also the most inclined to say God favors the USA in world affairs (32% vs. 19% overall).

•The Benevolent God (23% overall, 28.8% in the Midwest) still sets absolute standards for mankind in the Bible. More than half (54.8%) want the government to advocate Christian values. But this group, which draws more from mainline Protestants, Catholics and Jews, sees primarily a forgiving God, more like the father who embraces his repentant prodigal son in the Bible, says sociologist Froese.

They're inclined (68.1%) to say caring for the sick and needy ranks highest on the list of what it means to be a good person.

•The Critical God (16% overall, 21.2% in the East) has his judgmental eye on the world but he's not going to intervene, either to punish or to comfort.

"This group is more paradoxical," says Bader. "They have very traditional beliefs, picturing God as the classic bearded old man on high. Yet they're less inclined to go to church or affiliate seriously with religious groups. They are less inclined to see God as active in the world."

Those who picture a critical God are significantly less likely to draw absolute moral lines on hot-button issues such as abortion, gay marriage or embryonic stem cell research. For example, 54.8% overall say gay marriage is always wrong compared with 80.6% for those who see an authoritarian God, and 65.8% for those who see God as benevolent. For those who believe in a critical God, it was 54.7%.

•The Distant God (24.4% overall, 30.3% in the West) is "no bearded old man in the sky raining down his opinions on us," says Bader. Followers of this God see a cosmic force that launched the world, then left it spinning on its own.

This has strongest appeal for Catholics, mainline Protestants and Jews. It's also strong among "moral relativists," those least likely to say any moral choice is always wrong, and among those who don't attend church, says Bader.

Only 3.8% of this group says embryonic stem cell research is always wrong, compared with 38.5% of those who see an authoritarian God, 22.7% for those who see God as benevolent and 13.2% who see God as critical but disengaged.

And what of those of us who fit none of these caricatures? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

As usual, you are evading the question and changing the subject. I am asking you to provide evidence for what you wrote. Your answer is a childish retort that bears no substance.

You are doing little to further the premise that atheists are of superior intelligence.

This is the second time I will tell you that I never claimed atheists to be smarter than anybody else, as a group. It is also the last. Please quit trying to put extra words in my mouth.

I gave you a very good answer. A proof that religion is made up is the religious admission that they "just know" there is a god. With thousands of years to come up with backup evidence, and nothing at all, but this. Now, it's your turn to present something other than personal remarks.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:23 pm
Hmm....

This idea of atheists being more intellegent bothers me. Intellegence is as I understand the combination of our inherit brain power (a genetic inheritance) and the exposure we give our brain to (and I'll use this term for convieniance only) "exercise."

1) Being atheist is not genetic.

2) Opportunity to use critical thought is not exclusive to atheists.

I'd give a lot more gravity to the later of the two personally. I'd say the most intellegent population is the culture which practices the most free thought. Teaching the brain to be rigid with new concepts can only handicap oneself.

The example I will use is that while adults hold a great deal of intellectual capitol, children can learn new concepts with much greater ease.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 10:38 pm
Terry wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
Ok, how about this. I'm an atheist in that I don't think that any of the gods that have even been worshiped on this earth exists. No Jupiter, Thor, Jehovah, Krishna, Jesus, Allah and so on - the gods we've been spoon-fed since childhood but still find thoroughly unconvincing . When I say no gods exists, I mean of those so far offered as religion's deities. The word "agnostic" means literally "without knowledge" or, more simply, "I don't know," and I don't know what's out there. Maybe we need a new word for folks that have no belief in the gods of organized religion.

So do you think that there might be a god who has not made its presence known to the world but created and/or cares about human beings?

No. I don't think any such god exists. If there is anything out there that cares about humans, it's never made its presence known to me or to anyone I know. I find no reason to believe.
P
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:21 pm
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:35 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Let me ask you a question (for fun and not because I think your position is untenable per se): On what basis do you accept that to be true which you neither sense nor understand? Or do you reject everything that you can neither sense nor understand?

If so, that would limit your perception of reality to your senses and comprehension and as such (unless you are stunningly more adroit than me) you would be in for a series of regular rude awakings!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:39 pm
Those who insist on a 'special' definition of atheism because they are uncomfortable with the commonly accepted definition are great entertainment. But that's about all.

Instead of trying to redefine a perfectly useful and well understood word, why don't those who claim not to have a belief or non-belief in God come up with a term that is useful?

I suspect that many of them like the word 'atheist' for the shock value, and enjoy the smugness that comes with explaining to us poor unknowings that they alone really understand the REAL meaning of the word that apparently even the world's etymologists have gotten wrong. So smart are they; they are here to correct the dictionary.

That's probably the reason they don't like the term 'agnostic', as it implies there's something they don't know. Such would be unthinkable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

So, an argument from silence? That's it?

Again, I ask , what kind of evidence are you referring to?

Do you not think it absurd to expect 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:25 am
real life wrote:

That's probably the reason they don't like the term 'agnostic', as it implies there's something they don't know. Such would be unthinkable.

Athiest =! Agnostic =! Deist

There not the same.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:26 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
"You used the expression: "Several studies have shown an inverse correlation between education and belief..."

Do you know if those studies differentiate between people who "believe" there is a god and people who "believe" there are no gods?

My point is, if "belief" is the criterion...both atheists and theists are involved in the equation."

And I add another question…the one I asked Set: Can you cite any dictionary publish prior to 1960 that defines atheist as anything but a denial of the existence of gods?

I don't know the exact wording of any of the studies, but suspect that most simply asked whether or not the respondent believed in God, or how they identified themselves (ie agnostic, atheist, non-religious).

I have a 1952 edition of Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary of the American Language, Unabridged. It says:

Webster's Dictionary wrote:
atheism, n. [Fr. atheisme, from Gr. atheos, without a god: a priv. and theos, god] The disbelief of the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.

- A little philosophy inclineth men's minds to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds to religion. -- Bacon

atheist, n. One who disbelieves in the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being

atheist, a. Atheistical: disbelieving or denying the being of a supreme God.

- By night an atheist half believes a God -- Young

atheistic, atheistical, a. 1. Pertaining to atheism
2. Disbelieving the existence of a God, impious; applied to persons: as, an atheistic writer
3. Implying or containing atheism; applied to things: as, atheistic doctrines or opinions.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 05:38 am
real life wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

So, an argument from silence? That's it?

Again, I ask , what kind of evidence are you referring to?

Do you not think it absurd to expect 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'?

I expect more than your word for it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:14 am
real life wrote:
Those who insist on a 'special' definition of atheism because they are uncomfortable with the commonly accepted definition are great entertainment. But that's about all.

Instead of trying to redefine a perfectly useful and well understood word, why don't those who claim not to have a belief or non-belief in God come up with a term that is useful?

I suspect that many of them like the word 'atheist' for the shock value, and enjoy the smugness that comes with explaining to us poor unknowings that they alone really understand the REAL meaning of the word that apparently even the world's etymologists have gotten wrong. So smart are they; they are here to correct the dictionary.

Real Life...I would have bet large sums that there would never come a time when I would agree with you...let alone agree with you enthusiatically. But that time has come.

This post of yours hit several nails squarely on their heads.

Fact is, atheism as practiced by Internet atheists has become a sad, sad joke...with the hyprocrisy so evident, it seems impossible they cannot see it.

In another forum, I recently mentioned that watching Internet atheists pretend they are being reasonable and logical...especially the group pretending that their atheism goes no further than simply lacking a belief in gods...

...is like watching John Cleese do his silly walk skit in a Monty Python show.

Ya gotta love it for its humor value.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:15 am
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
Frank claimed that the word meant denying the existence of god when it entered the language. The Greek word, which can reasonably be rendered in Roman characters as "atheos," simply means "godless." Whether in 1950, 1911, or at any time in the last 2000 years, godless is the meaning of the word in the Greek, and it entered the language from the French, with that meaning. That does not mean that atheists necessarily deny the existence of god, although some might.

How the hell can anyone assert godlessness…without asserting that there are no gods? Or is this more very intelligent atheistic thinking. In any case…for as long as I can remember, atheists on the Internet have been arguing that word atheist meant "without a belief in gods" because they incorrectly assumed the word derived from "a"=without + "theism"=belief in gods.

The atheistic position has been hypocritical and self-serving from the beginning. Agnosticism IS the superior position to atheism…which is the reason so many craven atheists have adopted a central agnostics theme.

Setanta wrote:

Quote:
Yes, there is an important distinction to be made. I don't believe that there is any god, because i have no good reason to believe it. At the same time, i don't necessarily believe that there can be no god, and it's not something about which i care sufficiently to bother with.

And this guy has the gall to attack the agnostic position!

What a mealy-mouth bunch of horseshyt. The "I don't necessarily…" cowardice is laughable.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:19 am
Terry...I respect you and the efforts you put into the words you post.

I have always had reservations about some of the arguments you have made that end with you declaring that such-and-such kind of god CANNOT exist.

I am not going to inflict any more damage in what I consider to be one of my long standing, very positive Internet relationships than absolutely necessary.

The best way I can handle what I have to say is...I refer you back to our three year ordeal with Ican over in Abuzz. Ican was constantly asserting that he had proved beyond reasonable doubt that a GOD had to exist.

He did not accomplish what he claimed to have accomplished.

You have not either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:16 am
Reposting:

DrewDad wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
How would a word's definition in 1950 affect a debate in 2007?

One of the points I made, Jackass...was that the changes were recent!

Try to wrap your mind around that thought.

And my point is that even if the changes are recent, it makes no difference to a debate happening today.

Your "open mind" is refusing to accept an updated concept.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:16 am
Reposting:
DrewDad wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Oddly, Frank is one of the most closed-minded individuals I've encountered here.

If that is so...it is not because I am close-minded, but because you would not recognize open-mindedness if it were biting you on the ass.

In these discussions I freely acknowledge when I do not know something...I always specify that I am guessing when I am guessing...I do not resort to guesses disguised as "beliefs"...and I do not stonewall when something I've said is shown to be wrong. I acknowledge those occasions (there have been several) without delay.

Sticking to one's guns is not close-minded!

So take your observation and stow it where it will not be bleached by the sun.

Although what can you expect from someone who identifies himself the way you do!

I didn't accuse you of dishonesty. Nice strawman, though.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:21 am
DrewDad wrote:
Reposting:
DrewDad wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Oddly, Frank is one of the most closed-minded individuals I've encountered here.

If that is so...it is not because I am close-minded, but because you would not recognize open-mindedness if it were biting you on the ass.

In these discussions I freely acknowledge when I do not know something...I always specify that I am guessing when I am guessing...I do not resort to guesses disguised as "beliefs"...and I do not stonewall when something I've said is shown to be wrong. I acknowledge those occasions (there have been several) without delay.

Sticking to one's guns is not close-minded!

So take your observation and stow it where it will not be bleached by the sun.

Although what can you expect from someone who identifies himself the way you do!

I didn't accuse you of dishonesty. Nice strawman, though.

If there is a strawman here...it is the one you just created. I never suggested you accused me of dishonesty. And I do not think you did.

My comments were directed to the accusation that I am close-minded.
0 Replies