Its amazing how kids learn from us!

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 09:47 am
My two year old (Babi) is in the imitation phase. She tries to do everything Daddy does-- including typing on a keyboard and even shaving.... and each time she does she wants us to notice. She draws attention to her accomplishment by saying "Dat Daddy dat!"

Yesterday there was a toy on the floor. Babi kicks the toy and as clear as can be says 'Sh!t'. I am surprised to hear this and trying to figure out how to respond. My cute little girl backs up, walks over the toy again, and says 'sh!t Daddy, sh!t" -- and looks up to me for affirmation of her new accomplishment.

Yes she learned this from her guilty feeling dad.

I am going to need to be more careful about what I say at home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 09:49 am
Ha!

I think that happens to all of us... part of that realization that oops, there's a real little brain in there...

(New pic?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 09:53 am
Many is the time a little kid will tell your embarrassing secrets before an audience of strangers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:20 pm
New vocabulary word: Role Model.

Children require living up to.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
That's nothing, the first swear one two-year old I knew said was "f*cking dammit"! That one was not my fault.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:32 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
New vocabulary word: Role Model.

Children require living up to.

That's an awfully scary word Noddy. (I am doing my best)
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:41 pm
My man, K, told me a story of his son when he was about three years old. They were in the car and the boy said "Come on, A$$h0le! Move!", imitating his Dad perfectly. K tried very hard not to laugh. I'm sure he tried to control his driving language after that.
The son is now 17, who knows what he says when he's driving!

I think this happens with all parents.
Kids are a good mirror.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 05:09 pm
And often times you don't even realize what bad habits you do have - your children will point them out.

Once my daughter when very young started saying stupid. My husband said to me, I think she picked it up from your dad. About two seconds later as he was driving some idiot made a dumb move in front of us - you guessed it - he immediately yell stupid.

I won't on the other hand let you in on my bad habits my children have indirectly pointed out to me.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:35 am
The scary part is that a repeated embarrassing phrase is only the tiniest
fraction of what that little sponge is absorbing. But hey, no pressure, Dad.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:38 am
Heh, no pressure.

The mirror part is fascinating. My grandmother died several years before sozlet was born -- they never met. Yet sozlet has all of these expressions that are EXACTLY like my grandmother's, which means I must make those expressions, but I had no idea. (Or else she's the reincarnation of my grandmother -- one of those.)
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:10 pm
caribou wrote:
Kids are a good mirror.

One more thought I'm going to try to 'consciously' live by. It takes some doing to juggle the stuff of life, and baby's the first priority, of course. But some days, it's like checking things off the 'chore list.' Evening feed - done, dinner - done, diaper change - done, bath - done, read a book - done.... Have to keep the 'there's a little brain in there' in focus.

I'm rambling...but that really struck a chord.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:25 pm
I shall be smug that the worst I've taught Yaya is, "out of the way, grandma!" Embarrassed

For those who want something to say to slow drivers, "go-go gadget car!" works well for me, nowadays.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:48 pm
drewdad's smug.

there, use THAT is your signature line.

laughing at some of the "firsts" exspecially the "f*cking dammit!"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 01:53 pm
Soz--

Keep in mind the Sozlet could have inherited her underlining muscular structure--which would determine expressions--from your side of the family.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 04:12 pm
It's probably because when we curse, we tend to say the word loudly and clearly - so the child can't help but hear it correctly.
From now on, whisper it so at least when they repeat it it'll be quiet.
;-)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 05:01 pm
When my nephews were 4 or 5, they were in a phase where offending people with dirty words was cool, and they turned to me as the cool uncle to teach them.

So I told them I would teach them the absolute worse word that they should never tell anyone.... "crumpo". They bought it and I heard it whispered furtively under their breath with snickers several times.

I was smart enough to let my sister in on the joke so she could react appropriately when they said this horrible thing. It seemed to distract them from the "lesser" swears.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:22 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
When my nephews were 4 or 5, they were in a phase where offending people with dirty words was cool, and they turned to me as the cool uncle to teach them.

So I told them I would teach them the absolute worse word that they should never tell anyone.... "crumpo". They bought it and I heard it whispered furtively under their breath with snickers several times.

I was smart enough to let my sister in on the joke so she could react appropriately when they said this horrible thing. It seemed to distract them from the "lesser" swears.

brilliant idea!!
0 Replies