FINALLY Going to NY

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 01:05 pm
Ok, so I won't have much time.....practically none at all since I am going for work however, I will have Monday afternoon.

I will be staying on Park Ave in Union Station...anything cool nearby?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 05:59 pm
Re: FINALLY Going to NY
Bella Dea wrote:
Ok, so I won't have much time.....practically none at all since I am going for work however, I will have Monday afternoon.

I will be staying on Park Ave in Union Station...anything cool nearby?

Union Station? In New York? There's a Union Station in Chicago and one in Newark. There's even a Union Square (complete with a park) and it is along Park Avenue South; but I have never heard of a Union Station in NYC. There is a Grand Central Station (technically Terminal is the actual name...or is that actually Terminal is what it is, not station?) along around Park Avenue, and over on the West side there's even a Penn Station (also known as Pennsylvania Station).

Anyway, figuring that it may be Grand Central Station... you would be a few blocks from the U.N. and then of course there are several museums around. Depends what exactly you are in the mood for. Come to think of it, Grand Central Terminal itself is a rather exciting place to wander around for a time...be sure to look up and admire the ceiling which was finally cleaned up a few years ago. Cautionary note...do not look up while walking or try to do this during morning or evening rush hours...the crowds will be unforgiving as they barrel into you.

Anywho...here's a quick museum guide... Museums although just a walk around the area where you are staying will offer you a good feel of what keeps the city alive and there are stores and viewing spots aplenty so just go for a stroll and enjoy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:04 pm
Is it possible it's really Union Square?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
Do you have a numbered cross street? Like Park Avenue and 42nd Street? Union Square is pretty far south (14th Street).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:19 pm
oooo....you need to visit kicky, roberta, joe nation.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:42 pm
There were pretty cool things round every corner in New York from what I remember. Love that place.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:12 pm
This line of books may or may not have stopped, but while it was active, it was way best for me.

It took a neighborhood, and divulged details block by block by block.

Richard Saul Wurman and the Access series. My Rome one is completely curly now. To me, they beat all the newer thick paged stuff with eh, photos. Wurman's books had data leads up the kazoo.

Yeh, I have an old out of date NY Access book - but a lot of that still holds. And from the admittedly small stuff I've tested out, I'll go for them, or did, on scholarship.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:16 pm
I posted that re if you wanted to see what was around your set of blocks... I'd look at NY Access.

Of course there are maps, and given you have very small time - really, just walk out the door and do a stroll.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:32 pm
You can get anywhere from Union Square (assuming that is the real place) - What are your interests? Architecture? Music? Art? Local history? Shopping?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:21 pm
If you are, in fact, at Union Square, you'll be very close to Greenwich Village. However, with only one afternoon, I think you need to decide on one or two things that you really want to see or do and save everything else for your next visit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:25 pm
Agreeing with Roberta...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:29 am
You have woefully limited time--but your ticket will be paid for--trade off.

Think of something you've always wanted to see.

Think of something you've always wanted to eat.

Think about buying a momento.

There's your afternoon. Enjoy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
Union Square
Square, Flatiron District

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=new_york_city@111&cur_section=sig&property_id=48730

This may help. However, too much to see and too litttle time to see it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 08:19 am
I've got a folder of bookmarks on my puter for stuff all around Union Square (if that turns out to be the location) as I try to stay at a place about a block from Union Square when I go to NYC.

Will check back in later to see if those'll help.

Bree posted a link to the most marvellous site just before my first trip back to NYC - songlines - a block by block review of buildings and their history - mostly for the centre of downtown.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
I meant Union Square.... Embarrassed

Park Ave and 17th St.

Thanks everyone....I know I don't have much time but the day I do have I don't have anything to do (going a day earlier than the conference starts)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:37 pm
Good summary at New York Mag

(try and pick up a copy of the mag the week before your trip - it's a very useful reference to what's going on)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:38 pm
Songlines - set to 15th and Park Ave Sout
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 07:41 pm
If you're a What Not to Wear freak (I proudly fly my WNTW freak flag), they use the Filene's and DSW on the south side of Union Square for a lot of episodes.

The Whole Foods underneath them is where you'll find 'stars' who live in the Village doing their shopping.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 07:35 am
There is a stall in the Greenmarket with wonderful--but pricey--artisan cheese.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 11:34 am
Ok, so I went to NY and....I didn't get to do ANYTHING! And when I say anything, I mean, I didn't get to do anything. Meetings all day, dinner and drinks in the evening...no time to do anything else.

I did see the statue of Liberty on my way in...she wasn't quite as cool from the airplane as she might have been had I actually been able to GO there but we take what we can. **sigh**

OH and my driver on the way to the hotel took me to Times Square so I did get to see that from the car.

The hotel I stayed at was sort of...eh. Not impressed with the food we had at the restaurants we ate at. I just don't think I got to experience anything truly NYC. Sad
0 Replies