Need travel toy suggestions

DrewDad

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:48 pm
We're making a couple of car trips in the next year. How would you keep a three-year-old and an 18-month-old occupied?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 953 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:51 pm
I guess booze is not an option.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:05 pm
On a more serious note:

Car games for toddlers
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:07 pm
I have one word for you DrewDad.

Gaffer Tape

The gaffer tape archive

Click on the drop down box, select Personal restraint, see items 9 and 12
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:35 pm
I got a lot of good suggestions here, when sozlet was one year older than Ya-ya is now:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52779

18 months old, though, whew.

Stickers were big for sozlet around then, I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 10:42 pm
One thing I did was go to the dollar store and 'invest' about 15 dollars in cheapie toys.

Only when the regular toys and chats and games wore out, I pulled out the big guns and handed out a new toy. Smile

Worked wonders!

Jillian could pull them apart, play with them, throw them around and it was just enough to distract her from being uncomfortable.

I did the same investment on the way back home with a new batch of toys.
Of course, I never let her see them before hand.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
Besides the ones above - One big suggestion - it may be expensive but worth the money - a portable DVD player.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:56 am
go to the doc johnsons website and look at the pocket pals... that'll keep jr. and daddy happy....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:57 am
Good idea.

AND You can return it in 30 days if you buy it from Costco no questions asked. So you would only be 'borrowing the money' if you go that route.

Dont have a card? Shop with me if you need to. Wink
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:35 am
Portable DVD player is already a fave on long trips. We're trying to flesh things out a little.

Dollar store's a good idea. I'll check out the links above.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 09:53 am
Green Witch wrote:
I guess booze is not an option.

Only after we arrive at the hotels....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 10:41 am
The 3-year old is probably old enough for a leapster. It's a bit pricey for a one time thing, but it worked really well for my kids at ages 3 and 5. The upside is that you can just buy a new game for it on the next trip. I invested in some headphones (we were travelling by air) and that was great too.

For the younger one, and this is obviously advice you can take with a grain of salt, I'd bring lots of snacks.

Of course, it all depends on what your kids are into. Cds with kid music is nice too, especially if they like to sing along. I'm a big fan of Laurie Berkner because her music is pretty easy on adult ears.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:33 am
The bag of cheap toys, sing-along CDs and stickers sound really good.

Travel bingo... a safety mirror... lots of hats, funny sunglasses... a soft stuffed animal... little cars... a play tray... a playmobile set... a flashlight. Two small suitcases for all of these things that they can pack and unpack.

There's no better toy than a parent who talks to the kids about what is going on, going by, singing, making rhymes, and making up stories. Collecting something along the way is fun. Keeping a journal that the parent writes out and the children dictate can keep them occupied. You can leave room for photos, drawings, etc. and read it back to them all along the trip. Postcards for grandparents & little friends that are carefully drawn on for a message.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:34 am
The bag of cheap toys, sing-along CDs and stickers sound really good.

Travel bingo... a safety mirror... lots of hats, funny sunglasses... a soft stuffed animal... little cars... a play tray... a playmobile set... a flashlight. Two small suitcases for all of these things that they can pack and unpack.

There's no better toy than a parent who talks to the kids about what is going on, going by, singing, making rhymes, and making up stories. Collecting something along the way is fun. Keeping a journal that the parent writes out and the children dictate can keep them occupied. You can leave room for photos, drawings, etc. and read it back to them all along the trip. Postcards for grandparents & little friends that are carefully drawn on for a message.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
Another cool thing that you don't have to worry about being messy are those magic markers, crayons and finger paints that are clear until they reach the magic paper.

Also if they like characters like Dora go to Nick Jr. They had some travel game ideas - like charts you print off and the kids play it like bingo - you have to find the pictures outside (like a picture of a bird, fire engine, etc.)
0 Replies