bsimo7

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:31 pm
Hi.. I'm 18 years old and I am currently on Yaz, a birth control pill. I missed my first pill because my mother forgot to pick the prescription up from the pharmacy. I took it the next day with the following pill I was supposed to take that day. I do not use condoms with my boyfriend at all ( I know that's not responsible) and I have been on birth control for about 5 months now. I had sex that week when I didn't take the first pill without a condom and he ejaculated in me. Do you think I can be pregnant? I still have a week before I am supposed to start my period. I'm scared and I want to know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,639 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:38 pm
You can buy a pregnancy test at the drug store for about $10 and they are fairly accurate.
I just read an article that more women are getting pregnant while on birth control pills because they have lowered the hormone dosage so much. The lower dosage is healthier overall, but for some women it means the pills will not be as effective. If you know you don't want to get pregnant, have an abortion or contract an STD - I would suggest a condom. At the very least, you might want to combine the pills with a vaginal spermicide (ex. Encare) as insurance against getting pregnant.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:07 am
The math doesn't work. You've been on the birth control for five months. Have you had periods during those months? If yes, then the fact that you didn't take the pills right the first week is not a problem.

If it has been five months since your last period, and you are not pregnant, there's something wrong there, too. Unless it's a way to take the pills that lets you have only four periods a year...
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 03:09 am
[quote="Wy"]The math doesn't work. You've been on the birth control for five months. Have you had periods during those months? If yes, then the fact that you didn't take the pills right the first week is not a problem.

If it has been five months since your last period, and you are not pregnant, there's something wrong there, too. Unless it's a way to take the pills that lets you have only four periods a year...[/quote]

Sorry, but that does not make sense at all...
bsimo7 says she's been on birth control for five months.
Where do the periods come into it.
You usually get periods in the week-long break between taking your pill.
She never said she did not, so let's assume she did.
So why would missing a pill not be a problem?

bsimo sounds very immature and careless (until it gets serious) and you are blowing into the same horn.

I suggest, pick your pill up yourself next time, and even if you don't use condoms generally, at least use them, when you know that you've messed up taking your pill.
Goodness, is that really too much to ask?

As far as I know, pregnancy test don't work until you're actually past the supposed starting day of your period. I might not be all up to date, here though.

But to answer the question in a short sentence:

It is possible that you are pregnant, however, I think rather unlikely.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
I've been on birth control pills for years. I am not familar with Yaz so I can't speak regarding that specific pill. It really depends (as some one else mentioned) on the dosage. I have occassionally missed one and it never resulted in a pregnancy (not that I suggest it - I am older and married so an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't have the same impact for me as it would you).

The prescription should have an insert with lots of info (at least mine does). On that it should say what you should if you miss a pill and when you should use alternate protection. Mine pretty much says if you miss one take the next as soon as possible. If you miss more than 2 then use an alternate. If yours reads similar you do have an increased chance, but it would be small.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 08:07 am
Yaz is a fairly new pill. You still have a break in pills but it's only for 4 days rather than 7.

I assume it is like every other combination bcp out there and if you miss more than one pill, your odds of becoming pregnant increase.

You are probably NOT pregnant. Women generally ovulate mid cycle but sometimes it's early or late or even twice in a month. Normally though it's on day 10-14 of your cycle (that's 10-14 days after the first day of your last period). Unless you had sex at the very end of you first week and then ovulated the beginning of your second week, you are probably not pregnant. Sperm can live in the vagina for up to 5 days. So while I don't think you are pregnant, it is possible.

Perhaps if you aren't ready for a baby you should consider using a condom. My sister in law became pregnant on the pill (she takes them properly) about 4 months ago.

At this point, if you are pregnant you may get a positive test. You may also still get a negative. Depends on when you became pregnant.

In order to get a positive test you have to be producing hcg ( human chorionic gonadotropin), which is only produced during pregnancy. In order to produce hcg, you have to have had implantation occur, and that doesn't occur until 6-10 days after conception.

The only realistic suggestion is to wait and see if you have a period.

And remember this wait the next time you go to have sex without a condom.
0 Replies