Not your usual salad- suggestions?

Heatwave

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:46 pm
Sprouted mung bean, finely chopped onions and tomatoes, boiled/ roasted potatoes, splash of fresh lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:59 pm
Excellent thread!

I'm pretty good with coming up with combinations but I have a serious problem with dressing. Not so much the flavor of the dressing but the fact that it weighs down my salad.

I go to restraurants and get these salads to die for. I buy the same ingredients, put one together, and the dressing kills it.

How do you get that just kissed coating on the greens where it has all of the flavor but not the oily residue?

I try and I try and I just can't get it right.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 08:15 pm
Make your own dressing, boomer. Use 1 part oil to one part acid. Olive oil and lemon jiuce is the simplest dressing and it's very light. I like to mix orange juice, lime juice and canola oil. Add a little salt, fresh ginger, sesame oil and cilantro. Oh baby.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:47 pm
I do make my own dressing most of the time and I'm almost convinced that that is the problem.

<sigh>

I toss it in a bowl and plate it in hopes of avoiding the weight (I don't know what else to call it) but it still never has that delicate, perfect balance of flavors.

I try different lettuce combinations. I try chilling after dressing. I try chilling after dressing. I try not chilling.

<sigh>

I buy Chinese pine nuts at $15.00 per pound and ruin them with dressing.

I grow my own herbs and ruin them with dressing.

I buy in season and out of season pay a fortune everything and ruin them with dressing.

I grow my own vegetables and ruin them with dressing.

I buy pricey blue, gorgonzola, roquefort, parmesean, whatever. cheese and ruin them with dressing.

I roast perfect walnuts and ruin them with dressing.

<sigh>

I'm hopeless.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 08:22 am
You're probably just using too much. You should barely have a drop on each leaf.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 09:48 am
My son told me that at the fancy restaurant where he's working, they use sprayers for salad dressings and the fancy butters they use. I don't know how they keep them from clogging.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 11:45 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Make your own dressing, boomer. Use 1 part oil to one part acid. Olive oil and lemon jiuce is the simplest dressing and it's very light. I like to mix orange juice, lime juice and canola oil. Add a little salt, fresh ginger, sesame oil and cilantro. Oh baby.

Yes, lemon! Mine is 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 c. lemon juice, so nearly 1:1.

I never order salad out because it's never worth the money and even if the dressings are homemade there, they're usually very fatty or sugary.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:39 am
Quote:
How do you get that just kissed coating on the greens where it has all of the flavor but not the oily residue?

Mix the dressing in a different container, then put just a LITTLE BIT on the salad. The secret is in mixing it up real well- use a good pair of tongs and mix it through a lot- that way each piece will be lightly coated.

Or sometimes I put my salad in a container with a lid, put a little bit of dressing on, close it, and give it a good hard shake for a while. That really works too.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:12 pm
strawberry333 wrote:
Quote:

Mix the dressing in a different container, then put just a LITTLE BIT on the salad. The secret is in mixing it up real well- use a good pair of tongs and mix it through a lot- that way each piece will be lightly coated.

Or sometimes I put my salad in a container with a lid, put a little bit of dressing on, close it, and give it a good hard shake for a while. That really works too.

I've heard of people using a salad spinner to get off the excess dressing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 02:21 pm
I practiced last night - tiny bit of dressing, tossing, tossing, tossing, adding the extras on after it was plated. I did a little better.

I didn't have any lemon so I used grapefruit juice and a tiny bit of sugar along with basil olive oil and minced garlic -- it was pretty good but I still need to work on it.

A salad spinner is a great idea!

Thank you all for the advice.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:36 pm
This thread has me craving a sald right now. Better stop at the store on the way home.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 03:39 pm
Has anyone suggested a Waldorf salad? Mmmmmm...those are AWESOME! Of course, if you put apples and walnuts together on a freeze-dried turd, I'd probably like that too.
0 Replies

strawberry333

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 09:38 am
mmmm, I forgot I liked those.....the Waldorf salad that is.
0 Replies