mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 07:37 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Has the UN proven that it can handle more rights?

To be honest, I don't like these "discussion circles".

On the one hand you say, the UN doesn't enforce enough. On the other, you wouldn't give them more rights - to do exactly that.

And besides all you always forget that the USA are a leading (sic!) member of the UN.

This discussion is a farçe.

Actually, the US is one nation among many in the UN.

Our voice is not more important then any other nation in the UN when it comes to UN matters.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 10:56 am
mysteryman wrote:

Actually, the US is one nation among many in the UN.

Our voice is not more important then any other nation in the UN when it comes to UN matters.

Well, not many others have a Veto Right resp. are members of the Security Council, correct?

And to get away from my over one year old response: as I pointed at above, Josette Sheeran, the Executive Director of the United Nations World Food Programme, is the former United States Under Secretary for Economic, Business, and Agricultural Affairs in the State Department.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 03:42 pm
Heres an interesting article about US food aid, and it actually makes sense to me...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120968518398861073.html

Quote:
Now, with conference committee negotiations over the final shape of the Farm Bill at a critical stage, Congress needs to change the foreign food-aid program and help avert this calamity. The Bush administration has urged, rightly, that the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) be allowed to buy food locally, particularly in Africa, instead of only American-grown food.

The U.S. government currently buys grain and other foodstuffs from American farmers for free distribution in poor countries where a disaster has occurred, or sells it in food-deficit nations to generate funds for food-security development programs. Under the law, the food must be shipped almost exclusively on American vessels.

Ocean shipping costs are 20%-30% of the food-aid budget; and it takes on average over four months to order, buy, ship, offload and transport food by ground. In a famine, people can die waiting for the food to arrive.

I didnt post the entire article, but it raises some good points and causes me to ask, why arent we already doing this?
0 Replies