club soda and coffee

plainoldme

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 05:38 pm
Ah, remember when people used to remark "I don't understand how McDonald's can make such consistently bad coffee"? Those were the days!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 06:51 pm
The McD's by my house serves big cups of Seattle's Best brand coffee for about 75 cents. It's very, very good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:11 pm
I lived a block and a half from McDonald's for, oh, 23 years, and didn't go there, though there was a steady stream, down our street, of enthusiasts.

Catch me dead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:13 pm
Uh, I hear they've discovered chile pepper...

<blinks>

perhaps this will market well in the north.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 07:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Uh, I hear they've discovered chile pepper...

<blinks>

perhaps this will market well in the north.

Osso, you're now living in New Mexico where the correct spelling is Chili not chile. A linguistic oddity perhaps but true.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
But Chile's shaped like pepper,
And pepper's wrought like pecker,
Dried, and shrunk, and hung on string
like ancient Hebrew offering.

It's chilly in the north. I think
That must be why my chili shrinks.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:40 am
I figured out why McD's coffee is so awful. They do use good beans. Well, good enough Arabia beans.

The problem is the ratio they use (at least here in my city). It is inconsistent and waaaaay off.

Also, the equipment. The coffee always gets burnt.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:12 pm
patiodog wrote:
But Chile's shaped like pepper,
And pepper's wrought like pecker,
Dried, and shrunk, and hung on string
like ancient Hebrew offering.

It's chilly in the north. I think
That must be why my chili shrinks.

That was a bit of a non dicketur.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:45 pm
boomerang wrote:
The McD's by my house serves big cups of Seattle's Best brand coffee for about 75 cents. It's very, very good.

That's interesting. The McDonalds in this area switched to Newman's own several months ago and had a huge ad campaign to herald the change. The problem is that I do not like automatic drip coffee at all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 04:59 pm
here is what morton salt recommends :

"Add a pinch of MortonĀ® Salt to the
coffee in the basket of your coffeemaker. This will improve the coffee's flavor by helping to remove some of the acid taste."

i imagine dys club soda does the same trick .
i recall that when my mother made coffee she would occasionally put a pinch of salt into the coffee and call it "viennese coffee" .
hbg
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:25 pm
I'm not sure it's a matter of acid because I drank auto drip and perked coffee until I was almost 30 and got a Chemex coffee maker. About 10 years later, I was given an espresso machine and now drink lattes. BTW, can not drink coffee with 2% milk. It has to be whole milk. Can't drink anything but whole milk either.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:27 pm
dlowan wrote:

Wasn't.

And this isn't the time or place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:47 pm
patiodog wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Wasn't.

And this isn't the time or place.

Indeed, as you say. Hence the non bit.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
The troll reached up, grabbed Mom, and ate her
And that's how we came to Decatur.

How much salt?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 06:01 pm
patiodog wrote:
The troll reached up, grabbed Mom, and ate her
And that's how we came to Decatur.

How much salt?

That's "secatur" you dalt.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 07:15 pm
dlowan wrote:

As I see it, "seca" means dry and "tur" is a typically Gallic contraction of the English term "turd."*

And you can keep your dry turd.

* The French will deny this association, saying it's really from the old French "turdre" -- which the English pilfered centuries before and which fell out of use with the demise of Pere Ubu. The emergence of "tur," they claim, is part of a Gallic tradition of reviving and foreshortening lost words after the turn of every milennium. In an effort to look the part, all of fashionable France begins speaking in a pidgin 19th century French, and Parisians are no longer even intelligible to each other. Chaos ensues and only abates when the workweek is shortened to 26 hours.

The spurious changing of words is dangerous business, rabbit!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:00 pm
patiodog wrote:
dlowan wrote:

As I see it, "seca" means dry and "tur" is a typically Gallic contraction of the English term "turd."*

And you can keep your dry turd.

* The French will deny this association, saying it's really from the old French "turdre" -- which the English pilfered centuries before and which fell out of use with the demise of Pere Ubu. The emergence of "tur," they claim, is part of a Gallic tradition of reviving and foreshortening lost words after the turn of every milennium. In an effort to look the part, all of fashionable France begins speaking in a pidgin 19th century French, and Parisians are no longer even intelligible to each other. Chaos ensues and only abates when the workweek is shortened to 26 hours.

The spurious changing of words is dangerous business, rabbit!

Hmmmm?

I believe secatur, as used (by one to whom I am accustomed to refer as "me") on this thread, was a portmanteau word (see Carroll, Lewis) referencing sequitur, (see non sequitur) and secateur, as in the gardening implement, and, as you say sec, meaning dry, and atur, which is a contraction of without a turd, meaning constipated...(with apassing play on a meaning without, and tur, referencing turn, and thus carrying an implication that you spoke out of turn...)

The meaning was that you had, as stated initially, made a non sequitur, which ought immediately to be pruned, for the greater good of the garden (or A2k community) as a whole, and that it was a constipated one to begin with, ie was not of that fresh and organic and nutritive to the garden quality which one would have expected of you.

The dick bit ought to have been obvious.

The nearness of the secateur referenced word with the dick bit should probaby be considered carefully by all PatioDogs.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 08:18 pm
Quote:
Hmmmm?

I believe secatur, as used (by one to whom I am accustomed to refer as "me") on this thread, was a portmanteau word (see Carroll, Lewis) referencing sequitur, (see non sequitur) and secateur, as in the gardening implement, and, as you say sec, meaning dry, and atur, which is a contraction of without a turd, meaning constipated...(with apassing play on a meaning without, and tur, referencing turn, and thus carrying an implication that you spoke out of turn...)

The meaning was that you had, as stated initially, made a non sequitur, which ought immediately to be pruned, for the greater good of the garden (or A2k community) as a whole, and that it was a constipated one to begin with, ie was not of that fresh and organic and nutritive to the garden quality which one would have expected of you.

The nearness of the secateur referenced word with the dick bit should probaby be considered carefully by all PatioDogs.

Dicketur suggests a rather untoward association, one which I was compelled to ignore, and, if the dick bit was not obvious, perhaps it was not for lack of astuteness but rather a lack of interest.

If you would like to discuss tool nomenclature, perhaps I could direct you to this thread, where your refuse may prove more fertile.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 06:41 pm
patiodog wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmm?

Dicketur suggests a rather untoward association, one which I was compelled to ignore, and, if the dick bit was not obvious, perhaps it was not for lack of astuteness but rather a lack of interest.

If you would like to discuss tool nomenclature, perhaps I could direct you to this thread, where your refuse may prove more fertile.

So....you're hollerin' 'nuff, eh?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2007 10:12 am
I'm not hollerin' nuthin'. It'd wake the dogs.
0 Replies