club soda and coffee

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
Often in the late afternoon the lady Diane and meself like to have a nice cuppa coffee. I use the french press and always use club soda for the water.

I thought this was not uncommon but when I goggled "club soda, coffee" I got nothing. Am I the only one that does this (use club soda for coffee)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,341 • Replies: 44
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:00 pm
Re: club soda and coffee
dyslexia wrote:
Often in the late afternoon the lady Diane and meself like to have a nice cuppa coffee. I use the french press and always use club soda for the water.

I thought this was not uncommon but when I goggled "club soda, coffee" I got nothing. Am I the only one that does this (use club soda for coffee)?

The last time Roger was down here (slumming I suppose) I fixed him a cuppa and he said "well, it's every bit as good as McDonalds coffee)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:02 pm
Really? Club soda?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:05 pm
I've never heard of this before. Of what benefit is the club soda? Does it make carbonated coffee?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:09 pm
Doesn't that make the coffee a bit too salty?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:11 pm
One could use a low sodium mineral water, but then, what about the minerals in the.... oops, dys uses a french press.

I googled a bit and found this -
http://coffeetea.about.com/od/icedcoffee/r/coffeesoda.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 02:24 pm
well, I'm not sure why I do this except I think it tastes good, I'm also not sure where I learned this but I've bean doing it for 40 years and it's a habit.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:39 pm
you're pulling our collective leg, right?

I once had coffee made with maple sap when some friends of ours were tapping their trees. It was pretty tasty and, surprisingly, not sweet at all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:42 pm
First of all, I can't drink coffee, even decaf, 'cause it'll make me dizzy. Second, if the coffee were made with club soda, I would be farting from here to Hoboken.

I ain't ever coming to your house. Trying to kill me, huh! Shocked
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:45 pm
Osso -- The coffee soda sounds yummy. Maybe the bubbles in Dys' mineral water accomplish two things at once: make great coffee and clean the french press.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:46 pm
I did see some links for cleaning coffee or wine stains with club soda...

I'm one of the few (there have been threads on this) on a2k who really likes mineral waters, whatever their purported value or uselessness, and some more than others, all with published mineral contents.

I dunno quite what club soda is? tap water with co2?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:47 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
First of all, I can't drink coffee, even decaf, 'cause it'll make me dizzy. Second, if the coffee were made with club soda, I would be farting from here to Hoboken.

I ain't ever coming to your house. Trying to kill me, huh! Shocked
I drink mostly tea, assam superb, but now and then the lady and meself have a cuppa coffee. Feel free to fart (there's more room out than in)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:48 pm
On Dys' behalf, I'll say I've now found quite a lot of links for fizzy drinkies with coffee and club soda as ingredients.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:52 pm
Dys' coffee IS good, I'll testify, especially that mountain pooh blue. Haven't seen him put the club soda in the french press, though. Diane and I hardly ever shut up enough to watch such machinations.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 06:48 pm
osso -- I like mineral water as well, but, it has to be fizzy. There are some intestinal problems that are exacerbated by the bubbles, but, the bubbles help me to digest food better.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:13 am
hate to be techy but on one hand, the bubbles are all gone when you heat the water so it may be a wash. However, second , fizzy water is actually a weak acid. If the coffee is acidified doesnt this give it a aged tangy taste?
We use a french press and water from our well. With a french press, youre always making coffee fresh , and thats the only way to drink it. Coffee can age so fast that, in restaurants, unless they have an esspresso machine, I order teas .
Its funny how most restaurants, even the fine ones, just ignore the coffee
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 06:26 am
I don't like plunger coffee much anyway...prefer filter.

But salty water in it?

Shocked

If it tastes good to you guys so be it....

Mind you, Adelaide water sucks so much what would I know? Although I do filter it...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
I guess I go along with farmerman on coffee. I like it made with the french press or in my small, stove top espresso maker. I can not drink coffee made with an automatic drip machine, the favorite at restaurants, surely for the convenience of having a fairly large amount made quickly. I used to have a Chemex coffee maker -- when they were all the rage in the 70s -- and I suppose it is still somewhere in the house, but it is large and making coffee for one in a vessel that size doesn't work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
I still not sure I believe Dys.

But why would he make this up?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
Re: club soda and coffee
dyslexia wrote:
The last time Roger was down here (slumming I suppose) I fixed him a cuppa and he said "well, it's every bit as good as McDonalds coffee)

Oh, pshaw! It's better than McDonalds, and I never said it wasn't. I refer to the new, premium McDonalds, too. The Army used to serve some lukewarm, highly acidic asphalt like stuff that was better than McDonalds' previous attempt..
0 Replies