Can Anyone Explain Why Men Back into Parking Spaces?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 03:42 pm
As a parking lot attendant in the early 60s I learned that backing up into a parking space is much easier (and faster) than going in head first. Just learn how to use the mirrors and steer while steering with the left hand and twisting your body to the right/looking back over your right shoulder. Women can do it just as easily as can men--practice is all there is to it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
Re: Can Anyone Explain Why Men Back into Parking Spaces?
Steve 41oo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
I have noticed that it is only men who do this. I asked a guy at work why he always backs into parking spaces and he said becasue it is easier to get out. Of course, it is also harder to back in, a guy almost hit me swinging around to back his SUV into a space in a parking garage yesterday.

Funny thing is I have never seen a woman back into a parking space.

I havent read the all the posts but I'm willing to bet now I'm not the first to say (regarding the last sentence)

BECAUSE THEY CANT

Yeah, like the Brits can drive at all. Confused In parking garages I always
back into the space, probably to get out faster if I have to. Parking
garages give me the creeps.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:24 am
You have never seen me park, then, I usually back into a spot where possible, too!
No idea why actually!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 03:43 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
BECAUSE THEY CANT
Yeah, like the Brits can drive at all.
Well of course driving on the left makes reverse or parallel parking a lot easier.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 04:00 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Can Anyone Explain Why Men Back into Parking Spaces?

Because we can. We like to show off our driving skills, too.

More seriously though, narrow gaps are easier to enter by backing into them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 04:57 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

In certain northern queensland towns all angle parking is reverse parking

from Queensland road rules
Quote:
If the bay lines are angled away from the approaching driver then you must reverse in.
Quote:
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2007 05:27 am
[quote="Thomas"]More seriously though, narrow gaps are easier to enter by backing into them.[/quote]

OK, I suppose I do it because it's easier, then!
0 Replies

TontoBot

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:43 pm
@Roxxxanne,
I think it has to do with the male mind, wanting to be able to see whats coming. . . Its an old hardwired part of hunters and the pack mind, and while i don't think that ALL men do this, i do think that a higher percent of "alpha males" prefer to, sit in the corner of a room (in order to see all in front, nothing behind), be the last to enter when a group goes into a space (similar reasons), and back into spaces. When asked about strange, seemingly mundane actions, I always revert to the fact that deep down, the human mind just wants to protect the body in which it is encased. We will naturally do ANYTHING, emotionally or physically, in order to stay safe.
0 Replies