Can Anyone Explain Why Men Back into Parking Spaces?

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:52 am
My husband tells me it's because men like to put big things into tight places.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 11:58 am
I back into my parking space at home when snow is expected - it is easier to get the car out driving forward.

However, when going shopping - especially grocery shopping, backing in doesn't make sense. It is much more difficult putting items in the trunk if you back in as the trunk is now either against some sort of barrier or another car. If you drive straight in you have easy access to the trunk.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
If you think about the sterering layout on an automobile, and the trajectory of the vehicle's pivot point in a turn, you will quickly conclude that backing in is the only way to do it in tight places. This is clearly Roxxxanne's hidden point. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:19 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
If you think about the sterering layout on an automobile, and the trajectory of the vehicle's pivot point in a turn, you will quickly conclude that backing in is the only way to do it in tight places. This is clearly Roxxxanne's hidden point. Twisted Evil

well, I can parallel park extremely well.

what does that mean?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm
Do you back in?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 12:24 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Do you back in?

yes, but I have my body turned at angle to watch, so I've never been rear-ended.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:36 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know, if you are careful and really try, you can do both.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:45 pm
A) Women can't drive, so it makes sense how backing into a spot would seem like more work than it's worth.

B) It's easier and safer to get out of the spot. When leaving the spot, you can more easily see whether or not some women plowing through the parking lot putting on her makeup at the same time is going to smash into when you pull out foward vs. backing out.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:49 pm
Re: Can Anyone Explain Why Men Back into Parking Spaces?
Roxxxanne wrote:
I have noticed that it is only men who do this. I asked a guy at work why he always backs into parking spaces and he said becasue it is easier to get out. Of course, it is also harder to back in, a guy almost hit me swinging around to back his SUV into a space in a parking garage yesterday.

Funny thing is I have never seen a woman back into a parking space.

I havent read the all the posts but I'm willing to bet now I'm not the first to say (regarding the last sentence)

BECAUSE THEY CANT
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 01:59 pm
I back into parking places about 25% of the time. I think it is safer, but it often holds up traffic and people seem more inclined to forgive backing-out as backing-in. I'll snag a pull-through parking place if I can.

You might be surprised to hear that the Safety Guidelines for Girl Scout Camps include all drivers backing into their parking places (for quick evacuations of the camp). If you don't back in, somebody will come & find you in the camp and make you park "properly."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:01 pm
Perhaps Chai learned her technique as a Girl Scout.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:32 pm
A good reason for backing in to diagonal parking spaces is that you have better vision when reentering traffic. Some jurisdictions have ordinances requiring backing in.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 02:39 pm
I'm a female. and I can drive.
When parking at work, I've found backing in to be better for the quick getaway. If I'm running late or still half asleep though, I might not bother.

For doing errands, I pull in, so I can put stuff in my hatch.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:09 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
A good reason for backing in to diagonal parking spaces is that you have better vision when reentering traffic. Some jurisdictions have ordinances requiring backing in.

Funny I have also seen signs where they say not to park in - where I live we are not supposed to back in, but we do when snow is anticipated.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
I have noticed that it is only men who do this. I asked a guy at work why he always backs into parking spaces and he said becasue it is easier to get out. Of course, it is also harder to back in, a guy almost hit me swinging around to back his SUV into a space in a parking garage yesterday.

I havent read the all the posts but I'm willing to bet now I'm not the first to say (regarding the last sentence)

BECAUSE THEY CANT

Boy you should have actually read them since several women have said they do it and do it often.

I do it sometimes.

Guess we ain't real wimmins, ladies, eh gentlemen...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:48 pm
The Dutch in Old Amsterdam do it'
Not to mention the Finns;
Folks in Siam do it'
Think of Siamese twins'
Some Argentines without means do it ....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2007 04:55 pm
Picturing argentines without means or anyone backing up into a 60 degree diagonal space. OK, I can picture it. It's a new one on me. Arguably easier than into a 90 degree...

I'd still prefer tandem, that first car to tuck in goes to the second spot.
0 Replies

suka75038

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:55 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

You just answered your own question.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 03:27 pm
Quote:
Boy you should have actually read them since several women have said they do it and do it often.
well....er...good for them. How about parking?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
I back into spaces sometimes (and I'm a chick). Sometimes it is easier to back in than to back out. When you back into a spot, you can see your surroundings better, you can see up and down the parking aisle, you can't see into the small parking space. When you back out of a spot, you can't see the aisle well at all. If it's a busy lot and I have no one behind me, I am apt to back into a spot. At school, I back in because when I arrive there are no children loose on the premisise, there are children around when I leave school. Not that they are running like wild things around the lot, but.....
0 Replies