I'm wondering why

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:42 pm
we havn't heard from the wingnuts about this;

Quote:
01-18) 04:00 PST Washington -- A bipartisan group of senators took the first step Wednesday in what is fast shaping up as a constitutional confrontation with President Bush, introducing a nonbinding resolution against the president's plan to send 21,500 more American troops to Baghdad.

The resolution proposed by Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, Michigan Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, both Democrats, and Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican and potential presidential candidate, is likely to win wide support from Democrats.

It also could draw a significant number of Republicans who are vital to Bush's ability to maintain his command of the war. The president has said he will forge ahead regardless of what Congress does.

Faced with a fracturing caucus, Republican leaders backed off earlier threats of a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he would allow "people of different views a fair process for several difficult votes on the issue of Iraq."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 477 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 06:52 pm
You can add Olympia Snowe to that list too

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:51 pm
The whole "debate" seems like a flaming farce to me. As Hegel and Biden make their high profile gesture of defiance, thousands of the troops in question have already arrived , or are on their way to Iraq.

When asked pointblank by Soledad Obrien during an interview on CNN if this whole "bill" isn't just a lot of meaningless noise, since there are already troops starting to "surge", Hegel tapdanced around with some crap about how this was the "start of a process" that would "open up a dialogue" about Iraq.

WHATTALOADASHIT!!!!!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:53 pm
Very true, snood, but we have Lieberman on board to right the ship.

Don't we?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:53 pm
Re: I'm wondering why
dyslexia wrote:
we havn't heard from the wingnuts about this;

Quote:
01-18) 04:00 PST Washington -- A bipartisan group of senators took the first step Wednesday in what is fast shaping up as a constitutional confrontation with President Bush, introducing a nonbinding resolution against the president's plan to send 21,500 more American troops to Baghdad.

The resolution proposed by Delaware Sen. Joseph Biden, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, Michigan Sen. Carl Levin, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, both Democrats, and Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican and potential presidential candidate, is likely to win wide support from Democrats.

It also could draw a significant number of Republicans who are vital to Bush's ability to maintain his command of the war. The president has said he will forge ahead regardless of what Congress does.

Faced with a fracturing caucus, Republican leaders backed off earlier threats of a filibuster. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he would allow "people of different views a fair process for several difficult votes on the issue of Iraq."

Looks like we just did.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:54 pm
Don't you have an immigrant to kill, tico?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:57 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Don't you have an immigrant to kill, tico?

We're all immigrants, gus. Don't you know that?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:58 pm
Not me. I was formed by the red clay on the banks of the Missouri.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
I believe snood has it right. This is just so much noise. Non binding resolutions are just that - non binding. Moreover the bklowhards who are sponsoring it, Sens Biden & Levin, probably rejoice in its non binding nature - they dread accountability in any form.

Moreover the notion that this gratuitous gesture is hardly the stuff to "open a dialogue".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:15 pm
If they don't impeach the sonofabitch, they will never even slow him down.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:34 pm
Good for Soledad.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:52 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
If they don't impeach the sonofabitch, they will never even slow him down.

My favorite bumper sticker lately...

"Would somebody please give Bush a blowjob so we can impeach him?"
0 Replies