Vacuum cleaners

Roberta

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:26 pm
I have an old Electrolux with a semi new attachment designed for such things as cat hair. Works like a charm.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
I even have the turbo version of Miele - Porsche black (whatever that means), and it has special filters and does the trick. Most importantly,
it's a very quiet vacuum.

Here is a good used one on ebay

MIELE

QUIET, you say? Wow.

You don't know how loud american vacuums can be. They've got to report one of the highest decibel. It's like having a helicopter land next to you. Seriously!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:32 pm
There is a Cadillac Ranch , there should be a Vacuum Cleaner Graveyard!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:50 pm
I answered your Maine Coon question over on the ID thread. messin with spendi's "mind"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:58 pm
Too funny for words!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:00 pm
yeh but hes over there responding to it. I shant interrupt your thread with anything non vacuumistic again Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:18 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
I mentioned to JPB that I wanted to start a thread on the eternal struggle between vacuum cleaners and pet hair, and I asked her if she thought I should put it in the Pets & Garden forum. She suggested the Consumer Electronics forum instead, which is where I started it. So then it got moved to Pets & Garden. Oh well...

Dyson and Miele appear to be in a class by themselves, both in terms of quality and price (although Oreck is more expensive than either). I only have a two bedroom condo, though, and most of it is hardwood floors. I want a vacuum just for the rugs and the furniture, so spending $400-$500 on a vacuum seems rather excessive to me. Or, I could just get rid of the cat, which would definitely save me money in the long run, but I would probably miss him ... eventually.

The main knock against the Hoover vacuums is that the HEPA filter gets clogged easily and it's not self-cleaning after the first couple of times using it. Not sure if that's only a problem with the older models -- maybe, as Tico suggests, the ones with washable filters work better. Consumer Reports likes the Hoover Windtunnel, but I've seen enough bad web reviews to make me skeptical.

You do not vacuum your hard floors?

Seriously?

It is way more effective than sweeping!

There is a special head adjustment on most vacuums to do it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:23 pm
farmerman wrote:
wehave an old Electrolux that my mom got for us about 15 years ago. This one we have upstairs and you cant kill it. It has 2 problems
1It goes through bags quickly cause Our Maine Coon cat loves getting vacuumed

2It sucks its hose inside out everyso ofetn which means it has excellect suckability but poor hose strngth.

Downstairs we have a Miele with its twin HEPA filter and other stuff that needs to be taken out, cleaned and /or replaced. That one is too powerful to vacuum the cat, it gives her these Giant Squid sized hickies.

At last! Another pet vacuumer!!!!!

I had the most wonderful siamese some years ago who ADORED being vacuumed......she seemed to regard it as a kind of special massage service! So...almost no pet hair problems.

My horse also enjoyed it.....man, you get some looks when you are vacuuming your horse's winter coat off him when he is standing in the carport of a suburban home.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:45 pm
I've got 2 cats, one long hair, one short.

I got a Hoover Lift-off, and I'm really happy with it.

Just make sure you pull the filter out once in a while and clean, and of course empty the cup after each use.

A plus is it detaches with a click of a button and you can carry it around to do stairs, drapes, ceiling corners, etc.

I give it 2 thumbs up.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:48 pm
Your 2 cats detach with a click of a button?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:55 pm
Chumly wrote:
Your 2 cats detach with a click of a button?

Yes, and they sure make a ruckus when I pull out their filters.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:05 pm
Do you also vacuum the balls of their feet? Or do cats not have balls on their feet? I've heard they have some kind of balls………
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm
Deb, The Coon cats are almost all unfazed by vacuum cleaners. To them its a big fan with some dangly bits. Callie, our latest Coon, is just pleased to be vacuumed, she rolls over so you can do her all over. Then when you quit she comes up and bops you to start er up again.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:04 pm
Chai, I see that you are no longer a "pizza pie"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:30 pm
Anybody remember moggy from abuzz? She used to vacuum at least two of her three cats.

I heard one of those Mieles over the weekend, and it is the quietest one I've ever heard. I got Eureka's Smart Boss on the Consumer Reports review. It was rated #4, but hundreds of dollars less than the first three, and most of the lower rated machines. It works okay, but the only store in town that stocks the bags is Sears.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:35 pm
And the nearset Sears is in Carlsbad.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:15 pm
farmerman wrote:
Chai, I see that you are no longer a "pizza pie"

huh?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:19 pm
No, farmerman, but when I first moved here in 1981, the sears store had a couple of stoves and refridgerators, and a whole bunch of catalogs. It's just amazing what a long term oil & gas boom will do for a town, isn't it?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:07 am
dlowan wrote:
I also, however, use a special pet hair sponge...which really loosens the very stubborn stuff on upholstery. It really looks like a big sponge..

We use one of these as well. With three Maine Coons, we've got cat hair everywhere. The sponge works like a lint brush and and grabs the hair off of the cushions and bedding. I'm trying to recall where I picked it up -- probably at PetSmart. I'll look for you the next time I'm over there.

Oh, and the new food you're looking for can be found there as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:38 am
We have a Dyson. It works unbelievably well. Aside from cost, I cannot recommend one enough.
0 Replies