What makes Nader run?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:57 am
ebrown, You are seeking an ideal that is unrealistic. Most voters do not delve that deeply into "progressive change" whether they are on the left or the right. They just 'follow' party line. Voting for Nader is/was the right thing to do, but third party candidates have no chance of ever winning the white house - not in my life time. In this regards, I will still vote for the person, but with my eyes wide open. At this juncture, GWBush will never get my vote - even for school janitor. c.i.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:19 am
Nader = A 'True Believer' (a la Eric Hoffer)

His supporters = Well-meaning but naive idealists
(and a few 'True Believers')
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 11:59 am
Ci,

I don't feel I am that unrealistic. I will vote for a democratic party that stands for issues that I care about (emphasis on "stands for"). Even if a third part candidate can not win, it is worthwhile to insist that the dems take a stand.

Rewarding a democratic party with no vision does not encourage change. Refusing to support it does.

I happily voted for Clinton two times. Clinton had a clear vision on issues -- Heath Care and Welfare to name a few. He was willing to take a stand on controversial issues. I could wholeheartedly support that.

How can you wholeheartedly support a "lockbox"?

Incidently Bush won because he was willing to take a stand on issues. He did not take the core of his party (religious conservatives) for granted. He spoke what he believed and I think much of middle America rewarded him for that.

There are several in the current pack of Democrats who sicken me. I can not see myself voting for Lieberman (for example) in spite of how much I detest the current administration.

All I am saying is that the Dems need to give me someone and something to vote for. They have done this in the past and if they have the guts they can do it again.

I am not going to waste my vote on someone who doesn't inspire me just to keep someone else out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 12:13 pm
ebrown, It's my position concerning the next election that the 'best' person who represents 'my' values wins my vote. It could be either a republican or a democrat, but definitely not GWBush. I hope we don't have another GWBush waiting in the wings to take over this country for their own "christian-right-conservative" beliefs. I've learned that their rhetoric is all hollow and dangerous. c.i.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 01:28 pm
ci
Bush used democratic verbalization during the election. After the election he did a 180 turn from what he promised. The lockbox has been unlocked to pay for the tax cuts. The budget is unbalanced. The national debt has increased hugely. We are engaged in nation building in a large way. We have largely ignored ouir allies to the point that most of them have abandoned us. And our so called mildmannered president is saying things like bring them on. He is a cowboy and a very dangerious man. Some of you will say 9/11 but if you check the record he had already started many of his give to the rich programs before it happened and he used the incident to justify everything he has done since.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 05:46 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Au, your thesis is incorrect. My vote was not wasted.

What did it achieve?

Seriously. What did you achieve with it?

Couldn't you have given a "clarion call" in a context where it would actually have achieved anything practical - where it would have anyone elected in, for example?

If Greens start replacing Dems in functions that they actually have a chance of winning in the first place (hey, Bernie Saunders got into Congress), the message would get through to the Dems also - without it in the meantime having lead to a drastic deterioration in the way the world was ruled. Cause that is the kind of power an American president wields.

What you people are advocating seems like some kind of scorched earth strategy. Its almost Leninist - the idea is that its OK if things get much worse now (as they do, under Bush) - because all the sooner might a real change be forced, or something.

Except perhaps it wont. And in the meantime, across the world people are facing a drastic change for the worse in the way the world is run - i.e., by war and intimidation.

I pray to God that people like you are actually actively involved in grassroots politics. I mean, if you are out & out Green (or Radical, in any case), and support their cause on the levels that it might make a difference, as well - and, being such a principled activist, you can simply not bring yourself to 'desert' your party when it comes to its WH run, even when its only symbolic, either - well, then, I guess, I have to respect your choice in fact, even if it leads to regrettable consequences.

If however, like so many Nader voters, you are one of those a(nti)-politicals, who stay out of the whole 'politics thing' except to crawl out in those once-in-four-years presidential election to, y'know, 'show all those Republicrats the finger' - well, great. Booyaa, rebel, rebel yell - and meanwhile we, who dont have the opportunity to vote in that race, are left to face the consequences of someone like Bush getting in power.

Sound bitter? Hell yeh. And yes, I know its ultimately only Gore's fault that he couldnt bolster enough votes - he should have been more convincing, period. But he wasnt. And in the meantime, someone not just weak, but positively awful, was eyeing the prize - and he could have been stopped.

In 2000, the naive could still claim they believed that 'it didnt make any difference one way or another', anyone - but now to say so, after all the Bush admin has wrecked, is just being willfully blind. Would Gore have gone to war in Iraq? Would he have deserted even the most basic ways to stop climate change? Would he have provoked allies and the non-aligned across the world at every turn? Would he have de facto made the work of the International Criminal Court impossible? Would he have pushed through a tax cut that massive, creating a massive budget deficit because of something mostly the very rich profited from? Et cetera?

Whats wrong with using your votes to achieve what they can? You dont have just the one. Its not like, by giving your vote to the "lesser evil" when it comes to the two-horse race for presidency, you will have forfeited on your one chance at exercising your franchise. Right?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 08:37 pm
nimh
You said it far better than I can. But alas I am sure it falls on deaf ears.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 09:40 pm
Nimh, I don't think you have listened to my main point. I will try to make it as clear as I can.

If people like me voted for Gore (or the mediocre candidate of the day) there would be *no* pressure on the democrats to change. There will be nothing to keep them from continuing to stand for nothing.

My vote adds a pressure for change on the system. This is certainly accomplishing something.

The current crop of democrats (should) now know that they will have to speak to progressive and intelligent voters to win our votes. I expect to hear a much better debate on the issues.

This is what my vote accomplished.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:48 pm
Nimh, let me answer you points a little more directly.

I do understand your "bitterness" especially from an international perspective. Bush has certainly been a disaster.

But understand our perspective. This is my country and I do care about the issues in an election. It is vitally important that these issues are discussed.

To me it will be a disaster in the upcoming election if the major democratic candidate does not address civil rights or international justice or peace. Do you see why I want to insist that the party I will support addresses these issues?

Incidently I am not a democrat and I did not 'desert' my party. I am an independent. Like Ci I will vote for a candidate who represents me regardless of party.

We obviously disagree on the criteria a voter should use to cast their ballot. In my defense I will point out that no one knew how extreme the Bush presidency would turn out to be. You may question my priorities, but I do believe that voting ones conscience has the benefits I discussed above.

But, I think we can agree on this.

The United States desparately needs a real frank discussion of the issues brought up by the Bush presidency. If the Democratic party fails to bring these issues up, it will be a travesty for our country and for the world.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2003 10:54 pm
I voted for Nader, but I did so taking into account the electoral college, and knew that my vote was in vain, and would have been in vain had I voted for Gore. I live in Texas, and Dubya won 60 percent of the vote here.

I voted idealistically.

Had the election been held on the popular vote, I would have voted for Gore. I would have voted realistically.

The Electoral College is flawed. A candidate who lost the popular vote should not be placed in office. It defeats the purpose of elections.

What amazes me is that this isn't a major issue in the U.S. of A. Is it because Americans do not want to face the fact that the U.S. Constitution is flawed, and the 2000 Presidential Election is direct proof of that fact?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:25 pm
ebrown_p

Thanks for your patiently-worded reply. One thing is for sure, of course: you have the freedom to do whatever you want to do with your vote, and to use only your own criteria in doing so. Noone can say you havent got the right, or you shouldnt be allowed to do so. Only thing any of us can do is cry "aargh" and even yell out, "are you out of your mind!?", if we get exasperated by the consequences. <big grin>

ebrown_p wrote:
Nimh, I don't think you have listened to my main point. I will try to make it as clear as I can.

If people like me voted for Gore (or the mediocre candidate of the day) there would be *no* pressure on the democrats to change. There will be nothing to keep them from continuing to stand for nothing.

My vote adds a pressure for change on the system. This is certainly accomplishing something.

I did listen to that point, and already specifically addressed it. I.e.:

nimh wrote:
Couldn't you have given a "clarion call" in a context where it would actually have achieved anything practical - where it would have anyone elected in, for example?

If Greens start replacing Dems in functions that they actually have a chance of winning in the first place (hey, Bernie Saunders got into Congress), the message would get through to the Dems also - without it in the meantime having lead to a drastic deterioration in the way the world was ruled.

My question here is: how does your presidential-race vote for Nader put pressure on the dems to change? One could just as easily surmise that the Dems, knowing there is a 2% fringe on the left they can't rely on, will be all the more intense about the 3-4% they will need to win extra in the middle - enter Joe Lieberman. The fall-out of a vote that didnt bring any Green in, but did negatively impact the Dem's race, can go many unpredictable ways. The resulting bitterness alone will have made any Nader policy recommendation a non-starter among Democrats, for example. Its like you push on a button of which you know it wont have the effect it advertises ('make Nader president'), while you have no idea what it will effect.

Now a third party can make a difference, on many levels. Wherever the system is PR (proportional representation), or where districts are left-leaning enough to allow a Green (etc) candidate a chance to make it into the city council, etc (even Congress, eventually), a vote for one makes a difference. Moreover, it is only through votes with such an effective consequence - where the Green vote actually costs the Dems very real seats - that it can be sure to pressure the Dems in the way you describe, as well.

In many election cycles you can promote system change by supporting third party candidates. Its just the presidential race thats the one example of where a third-party vote does not make any difference. Hence the frustration that so many people cho(o)se those elections, specifically, to make their (protest) point.

So, yeh, you're right, we disagree about the criteria a voter should use to cast their ballot. I mean - I understand your dilemma well enough. I remember the discussions I had with my mother. She was Labour - I went to the Green Left. She had little understanding for such "testimonial politics" - after all, only Labour would ever get into government, so why waste your vote on a more principled, small party to its left, if it was doomed to protest its disagreement from the opposition benches forever? I would counter that the only thing that would keep a right-wing government out, in the end, would be the right-wing parties failing to gain a majority of seats among themselves - and my vote, translating as effectively into parliamentary seats as hers did, in our PR system, contributed just as much on that count. And there's the difference with a vote for Nader. Because the latter doesnt translate into zilch, in that respect - it simply withdraws your vote from the final count, making it possible for the Right to get into power with less votes than it would otherwise have needed.

Moreover, it doesnt contribute to a strong, left-wing, third party either, considering it produced resentment and recrimination more than anything else. The only plus I can imagine is that it catapulted the radical platform into media coverage for the duration of the campaign, but that would have been achieved without persisting to the bitter end as well, much like a credible Radical participating in the primaries does so.

If Americans are really serious about getting a third party into the system, they will have to learn about distinguishing which vote can be used for what - ask the Brits, they know all about it. If you live in Edinburgh you might vote Green for the Scottish parliament (elected by PR), LibDem for the local council, and Labour for the House of Commons, to make sure that on each level, you help in the one closest to your opinions from among those who could feasibly be elected - while the sum list of your votes will still reasonably reflect your political convictions.

ebrown_p wrote:
In my defense I will point out that no one knew how extreme the Bush presidency would turn out to be.

I was in too many Abuzz discussions at the time to buy that defence, really ... the warnings about what a Bush presidency would entail had been made, exhaustively. Naders cynical claim that "Gush or Bore", it would all be the same, anyway, had been contested with concrete examples of suggested policy measures every step of the way.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:55 pm
nimh

Well reasoned argument. you have a good understanding of american politics.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 04:22 am
Re: What makes Nader run?
au1929 wrote:
What do you think drives a personality like Nader to run? It could certainly not be because he thinks he can win or even have a positive impact. The only impact he could possibly have is to aid the cause of the republican nominee.

According to The Arkansas Times, aiding the Republican nominee might just be the "positive impact" Nader has in mind. If true, that would be one more reason to believe Nader is an idiot.

Some believe that Nader wanted Bush to win all along, that his goal was to cripple the Democratic Party so as to make the Green Party and Ralph Nader more powerful in future elections (Nader will be 70 in 2004, by the way). It's the old notion that things will have to get worse before they get better. After criticizing Gore as part of a do-nothing administration in a speech at Chapman University in California, Nader said: "If it were a choice between a provocateur and an anesthetizer, I'd rather have a provocateur. It would mobilize us."... Two-thirds of those who voted for Nader said they would have voted for Gore if Nader hadn't been on the ballot.

<rolling eyes>

-- Thomas
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 05:23 am
Thomas wrote:

...Some believe that Nader wanted Bush to win all along, that his goal was to cripple the Democratic Party so as to make the Green Party and Ralph Nader more powerful in future elections ... It's the old notion that things will have to get worse before they get better. After criticizing Gore as part of a do-nothing administration in a speech... Nader said: "If it were a choice between a provocateur and an anesthetizer, I'd rather have a provocateur. It would mobilize us."...

A sorry way to end a what had been a storied career.
... He ends up as a malicious --no, a VICIOUS, bomb-thrower!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 05:38 am
This puerile defamation of Nader is an awfully pathetic attempt to avoid the fact you lost the freakin' election!

In a democracy candidates are supposed to represent their constituents. Nader did this admirably.

The only thing left to say is that a Lieberman-Bush race will be a nightmare. I only hope the Democrats are not that dumb!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
ebrown_p

Sorry to raise your blood pressure Sport. Maybe mine a little too.

(jjorge, to self: 'Damn! I've fallen off the wagon again and posted on a blinkin' political thread!)

staggering off
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 10:54 am
ebrown_p, no this is not an after-the-fact defamation of Nader in "an awfully pathetic attempt to avoid the fact you lost the freakin' election".

The bit Thomas posted from the Arkansas Times is nothing noone invented after the election - the observation was made at the time, during the campaign, with as intense a disgust.

Nader explicitly said, back then, that he was OK with it if things got worse a lot first under a President Bush, because then all the sooner people would realise a change was needed. Thats what I meant with a "scorched earth strategy".

You may have missed it, back then, and now claim that "noone knew how bad it was going to be under Bush". I'd contend that Nader knew - and he didnt give a damn, because he actually saw it as something that could aid his cause. Its pure Leninism, as Slate pointed out at the time (see below). The fact that the warning flag about this was already hoisted by so many leftists, even fellow Greens, at the time, is one of the reasons I can't buy the "I couldnt have known, then" line.

Quote:
Ralph the Leninist
Jacob Weisberg
Posted Tuesday, October 31, 2000

[..]

Nader's response to all this heartfelt hand-wringing has been to scoff and sneer. [..] The Green Party nominee is spending the final week of the campaign stumping in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oregon, and Washington--the very states where a strong showing stands to hurt Gore the most. Nader has said he wants to maximize his vote in every state in hopes of attaining the 5 percent of the vote that will qualify the Green Party for $12 million in federal matching funds in 2004. Speaking to foreign journalists in Washington yesterday, he explicitly rejected Internet vote-swapping schemes that could help him reach this qualifying threshold without the side effect of electing Bush president. In various other TV appearances, Nader has stated bluntly that he couldn't care less who wins.

This depraved indifference to Republican rule has made Nader's old liberal friends even more furious. [..] But really, the question shouldn't be the one liberals seem to be asking about why Nader is doing what he's doing. The question should be why anyone is surprised. For some time now, Nader has made it perfectly clear that his campaign isn't about trying to pull the Democrats back to the left. Rather, his strategy is the Leninist one of "heightening the contradictions." It's not just that Nader is willing to take a chance of being personally responsible for electing Bush. It's that he's actively trying to elect Bush because he thinks that social conditions in American need to get worse before they can better.

Nader often makes this "the worse, the better" point on the stump in relation to Republicans and the environment. He says that Reagan-era Interior Secretary James Watt was useful because he was a "provocateur" for change, noting that Watt spurred a massive boost in the Sierra Club's membership. More recently, Nader applied the same logic to Bush himself. Here's the Los Angeles Times' account of a speech Nader gave at Chapman University in Orange, Calif., last week: "After lambasting Gore as part of a do-nothing Clinton administration, Nader said, 'If it were a choice between a provocateur and an anesthetizer, I'd rather have a provocateur. It would mobilize us.' "

Lest this remark be considered an aberration, Nader has said similar things before. [It might] sound like Nader's goal is to defeat Gore in order to shift the Democratic Party to the left. But in a more recent interview with David Moberg in the socialist paper In These Times, Nader made it clear that his real mission is to destroy and then replace the Democratic Party altogether. According to Moberg, Nader talked "about leading the Greens into a 'death struggle' with the Democratic Party to determine which will be the majority party." Nader further and shockingly explained that he hopes in the future to run Green Party candidates around the country, including against such progressive Democrats as Sen. Paul Wellstone of Minnesota, Sen. Senator Russell Feingold of Wisconsin, and Rep. Henry Waxman of California. "I hate to use military analogies," Nader said, "but this is war on the two parties."

Hitler analogies always lead to trouble, but the one here is irresistible since Nader is actually making the argument of the German Communist Party circa 1932, which helped bring the Nazis to power. I'm not comparing the Republicans to fascists or the Greens to Stalinists for that matter. But Nader and his supporters are emulating a disturbing, familiar pattern of sectarian idiocy. You hear these echoes whenever Nader criticizes Bush halfheartedly, then becomes enthusiastic and animated blasting the Green version of the "social fascists"--Bill Clinton, Gore, and moderate environmentalists. It's clear that the people he really despises are those who half agree with him. To Nader, it is liberal meliorists, not right-wing conservatives, who are the true enemies of his effort to build a "genuine" progressive movement. He does have a preference between Republicans and Democrats, and it's for the party that he thinks will inflict maximum damage on the environment, civil rights, labor rights, and so on. By assisting his class enemy, Nader thinks he can help pull the wool from the eyes of a sheeplike public.

If Nader's goal were actually progressive reform--a ban on soft money, a higher minimum wage, health-care coverage for some of the uninsured, a global warming treaty--it would be possible to say that his strategy was breathtakingly stupid. But Nader's goal is not progressive reform; it's a transformation in human consciousness. His Green Party will not flourish under Democratic presidents who lull the country into a sense of complacency by making things moderately better. If it is to thrive, it needs villainous, right-wing Republicans who will make things worse. [..]

So Gore supporters might as well quit warning the Green candidate that he's going to put George W. Bush in White House. Ralph Nader is a very intelligent man who knows exactly what's he doing. And they only seem to be encouraging him.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:50 am
Thanks for this link, nimh! It goes a long way toward settling this part of the debate -- especially considering its date of publication.

-- T.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 06:41 am
I remember thnking at the time, I'd like to get Nader alone in a room for 15 minutes... I was sooooo p.o.'ed.

Besides, Gore didn't lose the election- he lost the selection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:34 am
Snood, I felt the same way.

Good link indeed, nimh. Yours was nice too, Thomas.

and ebrown_p, I truly hope the Democrats are not that dumb, too, but I'm quaking in my boots.

(There's Russ again. I SO wish HE would run...)
0 Replies