Sales Tax replaces Income Tax! You heard it here first!

Eva

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 08:30 pm
Sounds like a plan, Bill. But you're gonna run up against the tax lawyers and accountants' lobbies. And...no exceptions? You're taking all the fun out of it for the rich folks...like the senators & congressmen, to name but a few.

Thomas wrote:
Eva wrote:
Only one problem I can see, Bill.

You gotta stop calling it a "kickback." Call it a rebate, a refund, whatever... It's an election year, for God's sake. Laughing

Eva, when and if I should ever need a branding consultant, you're hired.

Thank you, Thomas! I'll just mosey on back to the "General" forum now...... Laughing
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 12:09 am
Setanta wrote:
OK, i was in the middle of something else, so here's why i consider this a stupid idea.

First of all, you are not going to be able to replace current revenues immediately with a sales tax--so even if you did get one passed, never mind an intelligent and sane bill to cover all the necessary contingencies so that it is not regressive, you would have to have it tandem with income tax, in the beginning, because otherwise, the revenue short-fall would shut down government. In practical terms, you can bet that any revenue which the government gets (and that includes the boys and girls in Congress), they are going to keep. The odds are very good that the income tax would never truly go away. It would have to be maintained at least until the death tax kicked in to make up the revenue short-fall, and i doubt that a death tax could do that, unless it were nearly 100% confiscatory.
I gather you are answering the Title of the thread, not my initial post. The proposal is actually VERY progressive, in that Tax on poor people is essentially negated, and the poorest of the poor in the progressive version actually receive enough for basic sustenance, even if they earn NO MONEY. The Lion's share of the revenue comes from the Sales Tax itself, not the Death Tax. Even a 100% Death Tax could only ever really provide about a quarter of what our government spends. At 50%, it is slightly less than what the wealthiest Americans are already paying (in theory), so there is no need for a massive grandfather term.

As for shortfalls; quite the contrary. The day the system is switched on; it actually puts the money in the government's hands faster than the Income Tax does today. Sales Tax is paid monthly, where Payroll and Income Taxes are only paid quarterly… and in some cases, annually. Savvy Tax payers short their contributions throughout the year and pay the balance after the end of the year (This is essentially free money, in exchange for a tiny bit of paperwork. Everyone should do this.). There should be no need to grandfather the Income Tax… but I agree safeguards should be taken to prevent both from being instituted. Perhaps a constitutional amendment could provide this protection?

Setanta wrote:
One of the reasons the tax code is a byzantine nightmare is because of all the exceptions and deductions which are available. Even those with the most altruistic motives can be exploited. Members of Congress routinely add "invisible" riders to bills which exempt the pet projects of their constituents from taxation, and the necessary regulation to prevent the sales and the death taxes from being either regressive or confiscatory would be subject to the same Congressional chicanery.
Again, couldn't this be prevented with a well written, though simple, constitutional amendment… thereby putting any proposed changes through the rigmarole of constitutional changes?

Setanta wrote:
For all the flaws of the income tax, i doubt that the government could ever do without it. Not the government we have today, which not only provides social welfare (a relative bargain, it costs less than operating the Federal prisons), it provides corporate welfare either with direct or indirect subsidies, or through tax code manipulation which favors certain industries. The income tax could not be dispensed with overnight, and the potential for abuse of a concurrent income and sales tax would be too great, and so would the temptation for Congress to take advantage.
I agree wholeheartedly that the potential of concurrence is great, but would like to believe it could be regulated away. Considering the Paris Hilton's and the beneficiaries of Tax loopholes are the only people who stand to lose anything by this proposal, the popular vote should be overwhelmingly in favor.

The progressive version, which I think is the one worth discussing, also brings some interesting side effects. Since it's vested heavily in kickbacks (or Refunds) to the Tune of almost 25% of the total colleted; it only benefits Citizens of the United States. Only holders of Valid Social Security Cards could receive their requisite kickbacks. Illegal aliens could not. Delinquent Child Support obligations could be garnished along with everything from court ordered obligations to delinquent student loans. Granted it's still a far cry from a comprehensive solution to these collections, but it is certainly more effective than withholding your average Income Tax Return. It provides an opportunity to withhold an average of about $160,000 (in today's money) throughout the average delinquent person's life. 20% of Americans have taken some college courses (about 60 million people) and 7% percent of them are in default on their loans… which equates to about 17 Billion in potential annual asset recovery in Student loans alone. That's not chickenfeed… and the recovery effort would cost the government nothing.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
Stupid idea . . .

Setanta do you ever look at the positive or are you always so grumpy? Do you ever even smile. Yes, they are both questions and I do not care if you say I am or they are stupid.

Occom Bill I like your idea.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Stupid idea . . .

Setanta do you ever look at the positive or are you always so grumpy? Do you ever even smile. Yes, they are both questions and I do not care if you say I am or they are stupid.

Grumpiness is Setanta's trademark. However, people who saw him in real life have assured me he's really an inside-the-closet mushball.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 05:24 pm
Thanks for the tip. Smile
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:17 pm
Bill,

Ive personally always liked the idea of a national sales tax except there is a problem with replacing personal income taxes with a sales tax, and that is if we keep the federal reserve around its still a mistake. As it stands the money collected on the personal income tax doesnt go to providing any services for the country - it simply goes to pay the fed for the money we buy from them. Therefore if we get rid of the fed AND the income tax we'll be better off AND the country can start getting rid of its debt.

However if we followed a plan of removing the fed AND the income tax, then the resulting situation could be replaced with a sales tax or any combination of consumption/excise taxes. Youd probably be able to get rid of the death tax and still have more than enough funds for everything. (there might be a constitutional argument against a death tax as well)

Overalll, I like the idea as it doesnt penalize savings or investment, just primarily consumption. It will encourage people (as well as companies, and govts) to follow a pattern of savngs as well.

The other advantage you would see would be a flight of companies investing in America... American companies coming back from overseas. They would return to America becase the country would once again be a haven for capitalism and youd see an immense amount of new jobs. Not jobs created just from foreign investment but good ole american companies hiring americans once again.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 02:36 am
Anybody who didn't like either of those plans is crazy... but the numbers don't really work. Embarrassed Damn it. I may be back with numbers that do. Sorry.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 07:38 am
Richard Saunders wrote:
Bill,

Ive personally always liked the idea of a national sales tax except there is a problem with replacing personal income taxes with a sales tax, and that is if we keep the federal reserve around its still a mistake. As it stands the money collected on the personal income tax doesnt go to providing any services for the country - it simply goes to pay the fed for the money we buy from them. Therefore if we get rid of the fed AND the income tax we'll be better off AND the country can start getting rid of its debt.
What are we going to do with you Richard? That doesn't even make much sense. The money we collect from taxes goes to pay for the money we get from the fed. Hmm.. where does the money come from that is used to pay taxes? Oh, that's the money we get from the fed. So in other words we use money from the fed to buy money from the fed. That means there would be no money without the fed if we follow it full circle, doesn't it?

Money is an agreed upon standard of exchange. Where the money comes from is really immaterial as long as everyone agrees on its value. Whether we use paper dollars, plastic cards, gold nuggets or large stone wheels doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is that everyone using the "money" understand its value in goods and services. It is little more than a bartering tool. I do some work today but know I will need a chicken for a meal next week. The paper money serves two purposes. The person I am working for doesn't have a chicken so I would have to take something of value that I could eventually trade for a chicken. Without a monetary system I might have to take a phone for my work then trade the phone for a box of paper before I can trade the paper for a chicken. I have to find the people that want to trade until I get something that someone will trade for the chicken. It is highly innefficient. Money gives me something that is easy to trade because it can be traded for just about anything. The second thing is money lets me keep something of value until I need it. Say I need the chicken next week but I can work today if I take a butchered chicken today. That means I have to store the chicken for a week, something that was not easy to do before refrigeration. Money brings the convenience of getting items when you need them.

By the way Richard, all your savings and investment is based on the money that comes from the Fed.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:20 am
Where the money comes from is an extremely big deal. It is the difference between our govt issuing its own money or it paying face amount for its own money from another entity.

And I know it doesnt make common sense to work this way. But that is the way it works.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
How does the goverment pay face value without money?
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
parados wrote:

Thats a very good question. You are the first person to have ever asked that.

With Government Debt. They pay $1000 Treasury Bond for $1000 in currency.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
Richard Saunders wrote:
parados wrote:

That doesn't answer my question at all.

How can you value the $1000 bond without using the value of the dollar? Define what the value is without using any US currency presently supplied by the Fed.

The US government does little more than if they printed the money themselves. They assign a value to a printed piece of paper. There would really be no change if the Fed was eliminated. The treasury would still have to assign a value based on what it has in "assets" to back the printed piece of paper. If they print more money than they have assets then the money would devalue.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 11:03 am
parados wrote:
Richard Saunders wrote:
parados wrote:

That doesn't answer my question at all.

How can you value the $1000 bond without using the value of the dollar? Define what the value is without using any US currency presently supplied by the Fed.

The US government does little more than if they printed the money themselves. They assign a value to a printed piece of paper. There would really be no change if the Fed was eliminated. The treasury would still have to assign a value based on what it has in "assets" to back the printed piece of paper. If they print more money than they have assets then the money would devalue.

You really like to major in minor things. The point is this country goes into debt for $1 for each dollar issued by the federal reserve.

If I wanted to 'define' a dollar I could say it is 100 cents. The fed doesnt issue coins. But that again is defining something within itself. A dollar used to be an ounce of silver.

There would be a tremendous benefit to the country issuing its own currency - There wouldnt be any debt.

Right now they are printing more money than they have assets for and the money does devalue. It is called inflation. The Fed who touts that it is here to 'control' inflation is reality the cause of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 04:50 pm
I haven't read this thread, so I may be out of line stepping in here. I view such a change in the income tax system as one more way of shifting ever more of the burden on the ones least able to afford it and am opposed.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 05:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I haven't read this thread, so I may be out of line stepping in here. I view such a change in the income tax system as one more way of shifting ever more of the burden on the ones least able to afford it and am opposed.
Clearly, you didn't even read the opening post. The system actually pays the poor and lessens the burden on the middle class as well. Unfortunately I fudged my numbers, and it isn't realistic. As written; a family of 4 could spend up to $64,000 effectively without paying a nickel in Tax. I'm not sure how I screwed it up that bad Embarrassed , or why it wasn't noticed.
0 Replies