Flight Attendants/ Tremendous change in the profession

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 06:02 am
Do you remember when flight attendants were:

Called stewardesses?

Only female?

Only young, beautiful, and unmarried?

Considered prime dating material by the young business man?

The job of the flight atttendant has changed drastically in the last 50 years. She has morphed from a glamorous, high class waitress, to a person of both sexes trained in dealing with safety and terrorism.

I read an article today that I would like to share with both those of you who remember the "old days", to those who have only had experience with the "new" type of flight attendant.

http://www.tampatrib.com/FloridaMetro/MGAD6C2WJHD.html

Anybody have any flight attendant/stewardess stories that they would like to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,945 • Replies: 4
No top replies

the prince

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 06:15 am
I mostly fly BA Business (and with the amount of airmiles I accumalate, even on holiday Smile ) and BA has a reputation of having sullen, rude flight attendants. But sometimes I get lucky !! I have chatted up quite a few of them (both male and female) and the female ones are extremely gay friendly !! Have snogged a male one in the galley (only to lose interest afterwards since he was staying at a different hotel and I just could not be bothered).

Recently when I was in Prague - I was in this bar where they had a male go go dancer. A couple of very beautiful women were sitting at the next table and were enjoying the performace very much. One of them was quite drunk and she got up on the stage to dance with him. When she came down, I walked up to her and said, "that was fab. But you will be disappointed to know that he will not go with you tonite" (well, the dancer had alreayd made a pass and lots of conversation with me, including handing me over his phone number Wink ) - She looked up at me and went "he you are the guy from the morning flight !!" It so transpires that she and her friend were the flight attendants from the flight I took to Prague. We proceeded to have a gala time after that. Promised to keep in touch when we got back to London, but then that never happens does it Sad
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:36 am
A good friend of mine worked as a flight attendent for Northwest for a while, and went through quite a "boot camp" before being hired on. That was before 9/11, too -- so I can only imagine how much more those in that position have to know now.

I don't remember the "old type" of flight attendent, but after (finally) getting to fly first class to Europe a couple of years ago, I did notice a difference in their attitudes compared to those working the coach section. I can understand though, as I'm sure it's much harder taking care of 200 people at once versus twenty -- but it definately makes the eight hours more bearable when your attendent isn't gritting his/her teeth with every request for a cup of water.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:48 pm
Do you remember, when they used to say "Coffee, tea, or me"?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 04:30 am
Some still do
0 Replies