The USA has declared war on Iran and Syria

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 12:30 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm not going to get into that nested quotes ad naseum crap here, O'Bill. You are the one peddling horseshit, attempting to equate Iran to Afghanistan subsequent to September 11th. I will add here that i am personally disgusted by people whose argument is so feeble that they have to dredge up that attack every time they get cornered with feeble rationales.
As usual, Setanta; after getting called for taking an indefensibly stupid position; you lash out with all your might. Proximity of U.S. troops to Iran provides ZERO justification for attacking them. PERIOD. Despite all your interesting blathering; the FACT remains that attacking our troops constitutes a Casus Belli.

I in no way attempted to equate Iran to Afghanistan, but since Joe had the same misunderstanding, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.
OCCOM BILL wrote:

[b]Afghanistan>Taliban>Al Qaeda Vs. Iran>Republican Guard>Hezbollah, etc.[/b]
My point here is quite simple. Iran is at least as responsible for the actions of the terrorists they support as Afghanistan was. I neither suggested they were connected, nor that either had absolute control over the terrorists they support. Your fantasy that I don't recognize the difference in various Muslim sects, nations, and their motives is just that; fantasy. That kind of underserved derision serves no purpose other than to get your back slapped by your fans. Enjoy.

Setanta wrote:
But your references to September 11th are particularly disgusting because they don't stand up as corollaries with the situation in Iraq.
My reference to September 11th was quite simple, and accurate as well: The events that day proved we could no longer rely on oceans to protect us. Denial of this obvious conclusion is tantamount to idiocy... but you go ahead and feel disgusted if it makes you feel better.

Setanta wrote:
By the way, O'Bill has been yammerin' on about the truth, and others here not wanting to face it. Here are some truths which he is either not facing, is unaware of, or denying.
I'm quite aware of each of the truths you mentioned, have faced them and denied none of it... save your opinion that it's all about oil... About oil? Hell yes. All about oil? Only in the mind of a simpleton which you are not. Your proclamation however; is too extreme.

For what it's worth, and I've said this many, many times. I too respect Setanta's profound knowledge of history and frequently enjoy the insightful ways he brings it to bear on more current goings on.

C.I.: You might want to check out http://worldnews.com/. It is an awesome resource that translates the newspapers of the world and updates constantly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2007 01:10 am
From today's The Guardian:

Quote:
Comment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the US hawks can save the Iranian president now

Ahmadinejad is failing to deliver for the poor and losing support, but he could yet survive because of the international threat

Ali Ansari
Tuesday January 30, 2007
The Guardian

The honeymoon is over. Iran's controversial president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, has finally come unstuck. His popularity with the Iranian electorate - the subject of much incredulous analysis in 2005 - seems to be falling back at last, and the country's latest exercise in populism seems to be reaping the rewards of unfulfilled promises bestowed with little attention to economic realities.
Those realities have sharpened with the onset of UN sanctions. Ahmadinejad's casual dismissal of the sanctions has apparently earned him an unprecedented rebuke from the supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei - reflecting growing concerns among the political elite, including many conservatives, who are increasingly anxious at Iran's worsening international situation. As if to emphasise this point, Hashemi Rafsanjani, Ahmadinejad's defeated foe in the 2005 presidential election, echoed the condemnation of the president's public complacency, stressing that the threats against Iran were very real. Indeed, as a second US carrier group heads for the Gulf, there is belated questioning of the president's competence. His critics argue that not only does he appear to have courted the anger of the US, but his economic mismanagement and political nepotism have weakened the internal integrity of the Islamic republic - and proved to be a gift to Iran's enemies.

Ahmadinejad was elected on a platform of anti-corruption and financial transparency, and few appreciated how rapidly he was intoxicated with the prerogatives of his office. He very soon forgot the real help he had received in ensuring his election, basking in the belief that God and the people had put him in power. Ahmadinejad soon had a view for all seasons: uranium enrichment. Of course Iran would pursue this, and what's more, sell it on the open market at knockdown rates. As for interest rates, they were far too high for the ordinary borrower, so cut them immediately. And then there was the Holocaust.
None of this might matter so much, if the president had based his rhetorical flourishes on solid policies. But much to everyone's surprise nothing dramatic materialised. Ahmadinejad appeared to follow the dictum of his mentor, Ayatollah Khomeini - "Economics is for donkeys". Indeed, his policies could be defined as "anything but Khatami" (his predecessor). So the oil reserve fund was spent on cash handouts to the grateful poor, and the central bank, normally a bastion of prudence, was instructed to cut interest rates for small businesses.

These had the effect, as Ahmadinejad was warned, of pushing up inflation. The rationale for high interest rates was to encourage the middle classes to keep their money in Iran. Now they decided to spend it. Richer Iranians, worried about rising international tension, decided it would be prudent to ship their money abroad. This further weakened the rial, and added to inflationary pressure. In the past few months the prices of most basic goods have risen, hurting the poor he was elected to help. Moreover, far from investing Iran's oil wealth in infrastructure to create jobs, he announced recently that Iran's economy could support a substantially larger population, as if current unemployment was not a big enough problem.

Views such as these, along with his well publicised unorthodox religious convictions, have earned him the ridicule of political foes. What is more striking perhaps is the growing concern of those who should be considered his allies, especially in the parliament. These are people who supported him and expected results. They expected their populist protege to overturn the heresy of reform.

Much to their irritation, not only has Ahmadinejad singularly failed to consolidate and extend his political base, the recent municipal elections saw his faction defeated throughout the country. Traditional conservatives and reformists reorganised and hit back, ingeniously using technology to work round the various obstacles placed in front of them. Now, over the past weeks, with biting weather, shortages of heating fuel are further raising the political temperature, while his political opponents point to the burgeoning international crisis for which the globetrotting president seems to have no constructive answer. Talk has turned to impeachment.

Ironically, it is this very international crisis that may serve to save Ahmadinejad's presidency, a reality that the president undoubtedly understood all too well. As domestic difficulties mount, the emerging international crisis could at best serve as a rallying point, or at worst persuade Iran's elite that a change of guard would convey weakness to the outside world.

There can be little doubt that US hawks will interpret recent events as proof that pressure works, and that any more pressure will encourage the hawks further. Yet the reality is that while Ahmadinejad has been his own worst enemy, the US hawks are his best friends. Ahmadinejad's demise, if it comes, will have less to do with the international environment and more with his own political incompetence. There is little doubt that it will take more than a cosmetic change to get Washington to listen to Iran. But the real question mark, as the Baker-Hamilton commission found to its cost, is whether Washington is inclined to listen at all.

ยท Ali Ansari is director of the Iranian Institute at the University of St Andrews.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 01:03 am
OBill, Thanks for the worldnews.com info. I just made it one of my browser page news links.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 11:31 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
OBill, Thanks for the worldnews.com info. I just made it one of my browser page news links.
My pleasure. I love learning cool links, so I'm happy to share, too.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 11:45 am
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:14 pm
Frank, Not difficult to identify country A and B. But I would also say that most Americans are ignorant about Israel, and how they treat Palestinians. Nor surprises; our media has done an almost complete brain-wash of the American electorate.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 12:37 pm
For Dog's sake Frank. While Friedman was prattling on about how wonderfully integrated women are in Iran; he must have just flat out forgot they tend to get stoned to death for heinous acts (like, gasp, having sex with the wrong person Shocked). Natural ally? Is he sick? If you've got a strong stomach; you can see our natural allies in action by clicking HERE

(There's a catchy tune towards the end of the video, if your stomach holds out)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
Whereas in the land of our great friend and ally, Saudi Arabia, women found to be in violation of a variety of laws, including practicing astrology, are not stoned. They are beheaded, that is unless the executioner thinks that it would not be proper to expose the neck and hair of the condemned, then she is handcuffed, forced to kneel and, at close range to avoid error, shot in the head with a pistol.

Presently, the leading countries in the number of executions preformed are China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and, that beacon of liberty you may have read about, the United States of America.

Joe(Continuing a proud tradition of capital punishment)Nation
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:09 pm
Joe(made another good point about the US)Nation has demonstrated again who the real backward countries are in this world.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/800px-Death_Penalty_World_Map.png
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:16 pm
Joe and C.I., there's a not so subtle difference between executing a convicted murderer and executing a convicted adulterer. I wish you wouldn't belittle the heinousness of this barbarism to make you anti-Capital Punishment points. The heinous persecution of too many women deserves to be highlighted as a crime against humanity; not shuffled in as just another injustice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 07:28 pm
OBill, Not trying to put value on any of the executions whether for high crimes (western sense) or religious crimes(Islam sense).

Bush executed a preemptive war in Iraq that killed thousands of innocent people - was never found guilty of any crime (western-style or religious). A crime against humanity no matter what your views about "executions."

That the US still practices capital punishment shows how backward we all are in how we value life and death. Dead is dead; the value of life is subjective.

Bush was also governor of Texas when their execution rates was one of the highest in any "civilized" society.

That we worry about how other nations handle their capital punishment (for whatever reason) seems hypocritical.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
That we worry about how other nations handle their capital punishment (for whatever reason) seems hypocritical.
C.I., you are missing the point in digusting fashion. I'm not concerned with how other nations handle their capital punishment. I'm concerned with women being heinously percecuted.

Like I said to Joe, on another thread:
Your attempt to shift the focus to Capital Punishment is disgusting. Women are being heinously persecuted, in a myriad of ways, and your commentary only serves to dilute this VERY important point. There are plenty of appropriate ways to display your concern for convicted murderers. Obfuscating the horrendous plight of heinously persecuted women isn't one of them. You should be ashamed of yourself. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 08:32 pm
Millions of baby girls are killed in India evey year. It's about the most heinous act of inhumanity. That you can concentrate on only "what you see" is more disgusting! This isn't about "capital punsihment" as you would like to ignore.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:01 pm
Rolling Eyes WTF are you talking about?
Friedman idiotically wrote: "The brand of Islam practiced by Country A (Iran) respects women" which is pure horsesh!t. I furnish proof of this; so you guys start running off at the mouth with Tu quoque arguments in an apparent attempt to obscure the facts...why? Is there some reason you don't want Friedman's perversion of the truth exposed? Is the plight of the Iranian Women not worthy of consideration? WTF does this have to do with Capital Punishment in the U.S. or India's savage slaughter of babies? I repeat: You should be ashamed of yourself. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 03:57 am
Oh, put your finger down or somewhere where it will make you feel better, Obill.

The only word Friedman should have added is "more" or maybe "more or less." As in "The brand of Islam practiced by Country A (Iran) respects women more, or more or less."

Neither (A) or (B) is in the top five of Amnesty International's list of nations respecting women's rights, but Friedman's clumsy and ill-worded point was that if you are going to be an Islamic woman in today's world you would be better off being born in Iran than in Saudi Arabia.

What kind of choice is it when it is no choice at all? I forget.

Anyway, MY point in mentioning the other top four capital punishment champs, including the USA, was not to dilute your point, but to give it some perspective and I should add that it's not me but the entire Islamic world, despite the protestations of Raul-7 elsewhere on this forum, who ought to be ashamed of the way half of it's population is mistreated. You are right to fault Friedman for softpedaling on Iran on this issue, but wrong to try and make out like Iran is exceptionally evil in this regard.

Joe(in mis-treatment of women, Iran is e pluribus unum)Nation
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 09:18 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Oh, put your finger down or somewhere where it will make you feel better, Obill.

The only word Friedman should have added is "more" or maybe "more or less." As in "The brand of Islam practiced by Country A (Iran) respects women more, or more or less."
That is hardly the "only word" he misled with, and the contention is absurd on it's face. It is akin to suggesting John Wayne Gacy respected human life; and comparing him to Jeffrey Dahmer to demonstrate his relative benevolence.

Joe Nation wrote:
Neither (A) or (B) is in the top five of Amnesty International's list of nations respecting women's rights, but Friedman's clumsy and ill-worded point was that if you are going to be an Islamic woman in today's world you would be better off being born in Iran than in Saudi Arabia.
That's neither clumsy, nor merely ill-worded; it is deliberately dishonest... and a man of his stature's word will be taken as truth by some. Had Friedman re-worded per Joe(I'm almost admitting the truth now)Nation's suggestion; he would still have been artificially pumping up Iran in his effort to sell newspapers with a hideously repugnant (to Women's rights) failure to assess the truth. The distinction would remain appalling.

Liquid A lacks the dangerously high burning flashpoint of Liquid B... would be a crappy way to compare Jet Fuel and Avgas. In Friedman's world; the former isn't even flammable.

Joe Nation wrote:
What kind of choice is it when it is no choice at all? I forget.
The kind a well respected journalist shouldn't misrepresent with lies to sell newspapers.

Joe Nation wrote:
Anyway, MY point in mentioning the other top four capital punishment champs, including the USA, was not to dilute your point, but to give it some perspective and I should add that it's not me but the entire Islamic world, despite the protestations of Raul-7 elsewhere on this forum, who ought to be ashamed of the way half of it's population is mistreated. You are right to fault Friedman for softpedaling on Iran on this issue, but wrong to try and make out like Iran is exceptionally evil in this regard.
Perhaps I would be, but I have done no such thing. I simply exposed Friedman's repugnant lies, despite your distractions.

But now that YOU bring it us; I think we both could easily name dozens of countries where Muslim Women are treated with a great deal more respect (this one, for instance)... though you won't soon see be hawking how respectable a particular locale is towards women merely by pointing out it's not as bad as Iran, let alone Saudi Arabia. These are better measured in terms of heinous disrespect.

Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(in mis-treatment of women, Iran is e pluribus unum)Nation
You continue to forward Friedman's misleading BS with such a signature.

OCCOM(let's stop pretending less-or even average- heinousness is a positive measure of good)BILL

Ps. John Adams was known to tease Abigail for suggesting Women's Rights could or should be recognized, too. What's the first step in solving a problem again? I'd wager the current front runner for the Oval Office knows.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:08 pm
I think you are right about Hillary knowing how to start solving a problem.

I don't think anybody in the West knows how to approach Islam. For one thing, the abuses that you have more than alluded to in Iran are endemic in varying degrees in the various Islamic cultures.

Joe(Yemen, Somalia, Brooklyn)Nation
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:44 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I think you are right about Hillary knowing how to start solving a problem.

I don't think anybody in the West knows how to approach Islam. For one thing, the abuses that you have more than alluded to in Iran are endemic in varying degrees in the various Islamic cultures.
Guilty. I sure don't know how to approach it... but at the same time I think backing away is wrong too. I'd substitute pandemic or epidemic for endemic. They seem like better descriptors for something that is both deadly and spreading rapidly. Sad

But what good does it do to call a brainwashed nutcase a nutcase. These guys don't appear to be harboring any doubts about their religion.
(Just in case anyone doesn't know; this is the result of celebration, not fighting. Rolling Eyes )(Disturbing Pic warning.)

Edit (Moderator): Images converted to links

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/ashura13.jpg

But I suppose; old habits are hard to break... especially when barbarism has been instilled in you all your life.Pics below are a bit more disturbing... but the pride on the parent's faces is the reason I'm posting them. It's always tough to reason with a devout theist... but this is just crazy...

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/giraffe_vs_muslims.jpg
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/ashura2.jpg
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/ashura11.jpg
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/ashura12.gif
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2007 08:57 pm
And then there's those loving Mullahs... who will order you stoned to death for being homosexual... but pedophilia is A-OK.

Edit (Moderator): Image converted to link

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/mollah.JPG

Here's the disclaimer from the site...

Quote:
I apologize if the above picture is disturbing. It is indeed disturbing. But it would be more disturbing if no one spoke about it.

When Catholic priests molest children there is a law, there is a justice that holds them accountable. The Mullahs ARE the law, justice and the government. So they can do their shameful acts in public and who is going to stop them?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 07:43 am
You're preaching to the choir, Bill, I think all religious beliefs, beliefs in magic numbers or the power of the stars to lead us are wacko and ultimately self-destructive. I'm also sure that George W. Bush, despite careful denials to the contrary by his supporters, sees the struggle for control of the Middle East through Apocalyptic eyes with a capital A.

What we have here is opposing systems of irrationality. The difference between them and us (the us that does adhere to the idea that we are in the Lord's hands) is that we have evolved out of the Eleventh Century and they haven't. Of course, Bush and the believers haven't evolved out the Nineteenth Century in terms of scientific knowledge, but they are armed with Twenty First Century weapons and armies.

Unfortunately for us, the Islamist's depth of delusion surpasses that of any Christian Soldier (to leave the Jews out of this for the moment, ,,,, although, ....well, nevermind)

Bill, remember in Sunday School when they taught us all about the Early Christians being eaten by the lions or burned as torchs in the Collesium and we were awed by the faith in God those folks had?? Well, they had nothing on today's jihadist.

They and we are in a war.

But, and it's a big but, the war against the jihadists cannot be won by armies or arms.

Joe(Shooting the ones who are shooting is the easy part.)Nation
0 Replies