Extreme bigots and utter stupidity

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:39 am
DALLAS -- A pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate mail after offering to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.
Dallas-based Pizza Patron said it was not trying to inject itself into a larger political debate about illegal immigration when it posted signs this week saying "Aceptamos pesos" - or "We accept pesos" - at its 59 stores across Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and California.

Pizza Patron spokesman Andy Gamm said the company was just trying to sell more pizza to its customers, 60 percent of whom are Hispanic.

Wal-Mart, H-E-B supermarkets and other American businesses in towns along the Mexican border accept pesos. And some busineses in New York and Minnesota communities along the northern border accept Canadian dollars.

"If people would understand that the majority of our customers are Hispanic, then it might make more sense for a company to sell pizza for pesos," Gamm said. "It doesn't make sense in Connecticut. And it doesn't make sense in North Dakota or in Maine. But it makes perfect sense here in Dallas, in Phoenix, in Denver - areas far from the border that have significant Hispanic populations."

Many Pizza Patron customers have pesos "sitting in their sock drawers or in their wallets," Gamm said. "We're talking small amounts, where it would be inconvenient to stop and exchange on the way back - maybe 10 or 20 dollars' worth of pesos."

At a Pizza Patron in Dallas, Veronica Vargas bought a pizza Wednesday for her son Nathan's fourth birthday. She paid with pesos her father brought home two weeks ago after a trip to see family in Mexico.

She said she is an occasional Pizza Patron customer, but came that day because she could pay with pesos. Her father wasn't going to use them because he had no plans to go back to Mexico anytime soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 654 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Vinny Z

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:50 am
I bought a pizza in Toronto and I paid US bucks and it sucked, plus they screwed me on the exchange rate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:54 am
Pazoozas. If we all used pazoozas we could avoid racism and eat pizza any time we like.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 09:57 am
Not many months ago, "polleros" (people smugglers) in Tapachula Chiapas on Mexico's southern border wheedled $5000 USD each from six Guatemalan and two what are described as "Hindu" undocumented workers who they promised to deposit safely in the United States.

Moving through Mexico stealthily in an old bus with its curtains drawn and slipping immigration officials the obligatory "mordida" ("little bite") to ease through the checkpoints, the smugglers arrived in Chihuahua City, 100 miles south of the U.S. border, drove out to an upscale suburb, and dropped their load off in front of an enormous Wal-Mart, informing the clueless clients they had arrived on "the Other Side."

Indeed, it looked like the American Dream--the Wal-Mart shared the gleaming mall with a Wendy's, a KTC, even an Appleby's and the ten-plex "Hollywood" Cinema. "It looked just like how it looked on televisio1n" a rueful "indocumentado" told Froilan Meza of the local Chihuahua Herald.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
Re: Extreme bigots and utter stupidity
dyslexia wrote:
DALLAS -- A pizza chain has been hit with death threats and hate mail after offering to accept Mexican pesos, becoming another flashpoint in the nation's debate over immigrants.
Dallas-based Pizza Patron said it was not trying to inject itself into a larger political debate about illegal immigration when it posted signs this week saying "Aceptamos pesos" - or "We accept pesos" - at its 59 stores across Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and California.

Pizza Patron spokesman Andy Gamm said the company was just trying to sell more pizza to its customers, 60 percent of whom are Hispanic.

Wal-Mart, H-E-B supermarkets and other American businesses in towns along the Mexican border accept pesos. And some busineses in New York and Minnesota communities along the northern border accept Canadian dollars.

"If people would understand that the majority of our customers are Hispanic, then it might make more sense for a company to sell pizza for pesos," Gamm said. "It doesn't make sense in Connecticut. And it doesn't make sense in North Dakota or in Maine. But it makes perfect sense here in Dallas, in Phoenix, in Denver - areas far from the border that have significant Hispanic populations."

Many Pizza Patron customers have pesos "sitting in their sock drawers or in their wallets," Gamm said. "We're talking small amounts, where it would be inconvenient to stop and exchange on the way back - maybe 10 or 20 dollars' worth of pesos."

At a Pizza Patron in Dallas, Veronica Vargas bought a pizza Wednesday for her son Nathan's fourth birthday. She paid with pesos her father brought home two weeks ago after a trip to see family in Mexico.

She said she is an occasional Pizza Patron customer, but came that day because she could pay with pesos. Her father wasn't going to use them because he had no plans to go back to Mexico anytime soon.

If it makes sense to use pesos in Dallas then maybe they should start taking euros in NY and all alone the east cost. The west coast should start taking Yen and Yuan instead of US dollars. Over all we should stop using US dollars all together and instead cities across the US should adopt what ever the lagest forgein minority uses in their former homes. This would elimate racism based on money.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:10 am
To accept foreign currency from a country that has 10 million illegal immigrants in America encourages both more illegal immigration, and gives a nod to immigration with no intention to be assimilated.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:32 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
To accept foreign currency from a country that has 10 million illegal immigrants in America encourages both more illegal immigration, and gives a nod to immigration with no intention to be assimilated.

Here's the second portion of Dyslexia's thread title....

Collecting people's loose change is hardly going to affect the number of Mexican immigrants - legal or illegal. They come here to get dollars, not to spend their pesos.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:34 am
kill 'em all... let God sort 'em out.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:59 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

No one has to assimilate any more; we turned from being the melting pot about 20 years ago when the libs and bleeding hearts started using the term multiculturism to describe how the US works.

When we stopped taking from cultures certain qualities and they stopped adapting to our qualities the melting pot solidified and layers started to form. This isn't the way the US used to be and it was a good thing. If you came here from a different country and English wasn't spoken in your old country then you learned English. Sure in your local neighborhoods you would find others like yourself others who didn't speak English. The local businesses would cater to those in their area or even the whole area would be the same. e.g.: China town, little Italy, Greek town and a few others around to be. What ended though was the ability of those areas to expand to include American values. The idea that America is a melting pot is long gone and until the returns we are not going to be better off.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:13 am
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Here's the second portion of Dyslexia's thread title....

Collecting people's loose change is hardly going to affect the number of Mexican immigrants - legal or illegal. They come here to get dollars, not to spend their pesos.

I disagree. The situation is already wildly out of control, which is the way I'd describe a flood of illegal immigrants from a neighbor which has already reached the 10 million point and shows no sign whatever of slowing down. The appropriate reaction by us is to fix the situation quickly and decisively. We certainly have the right to see that our laws are obeyed and our borders respected. To actually encourage the invasion, and even tell the invaders that they have no obligation to adapt, is immensely irresponsible. If a merchant did that in my location, I would certainly boycott them if I had that option.

I can imagine the reaction of, say, France, if there were millions of illegal American immigrants in their country with forged documents, many of whom showed a clear refusal to ever adapt to the host culture, and America gave little more than lip service to their request that we control it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It seems to be much easier for you to put words in your opponents mouths and then defeat positions that they have never taken.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I can imagine the reaction of, say, France, if there were millions of illegal American immigrants in their country with forged documents, many of whom showed a clear refusal to ever adapt to the host culture, and America gave little more than lip service to their request that we control it.

I imagine the French are smart enough to realize that dangling a bunch of Francs just on the other side of the border would be a sure way to ensure illegal immigration.

(And yes, I know they use Euros now. It just sounded better with "Francs.")
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 09:44 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

It seems to be much easier for you to put words in your opponents mouths and then defeat positions that they have never taken.

first off... who was talking to you? Second offf... opponent? don't flatter yourself Captain Insignificant Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 10:16 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

first off... who was talking to you? Second offf... opponent? don't flatter yourself Captain Insignificant Laughing

Come on now bear, don't you think your being a little harsh? We all have those that we think we are better then, but that has never stoped me from talking with you. If we all had that opinion on this board then half of us wouldn't talk to the other half. I think that includes those that are on the same side of most debates.

No matter what the out come of such debate, I will always respond to the bear. After all he provided me with such a great nic name. Thanks bear your the bomb. BOOM
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 11:24 am
Brandon, Sir, my comment was about "Death Threats" and that dear Brandon is just frickin' stupid (as wells as extreme racism). protests are reasonable, death threats are not.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:04 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Regardless of who you were talking to, it's a true statement. Let's catalogue some of your favorite argument techniques:

1. Inventing and then defeating positions your opponents have never taken, so that you need not respond to their actual statements.
2. Name calling in lieu of an argument
3. Pointing out that you weren't addressing someone in order to be able to ignore the fact that they've made a true statement.

Not characteristics of people in the right.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Brandon, Sir, my comment was about "Death Threats" and that dear Brandon is just frickin' stupid (as wells as extreme racism). protests are reasonable, death threats are not.
0 Replies