okie

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 01:50 am
Am I the only one noticing the rash of new political topics that are fairly pointless and really nothing more than a sarcastic comment or passing thought? Topics like: "Operation Boob Job," "I Have A Friend That is Black," "With Friends Like Bushie, Our Troops Need Enemies???" Also, "The Thought Strikes Me," "odd I think," and "I have proof." The list is much longer than my brief list of examples. I am sure the topics have some purpose in the mind of the originator, but much of the time it is merely a passing cute thought or comment that should apply to an already going topic, so instead of muddying the water with more inane topics, why not post the inane comment on an existing topic?

I will probably be accused of starting a pointless topic with this, but I think it is a legitimate question to bring up in the face of a blizzard of pointless topics or threads.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,583 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:07 am
Eh, I start one pointless topic in the political forum in four years. So sue me.

I'm sure "pointlesss" is in the eye of the beholder. Just take a look in the Unanswered Posts list for proof.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:07 am
Re: Stupid Political Topics
okie wrote:
Am I the only one noticing the rash of new political topics that are fairly pointless and really nothing more than a sarcastic comment or passing thought? Topics like: "Operation Boob Job," "I Have A Friend That is Black," "With Friends Like Bushie, Our Troops Need Enemies???" Also, "The Thought Strikes Me," "odd I think," and "I have proof." The list is much longer than my brief list of examples. I am sure the topics have some purpose in the mind of the originator, but much of the time it is merely a passing cute thought or comment that should apply to an already going topic, so instead of muddying the water with more inane topics, why not post the inane comment on an existing topic?

I will probably be accused of starting a pointless topic with this, but I think it is a legitimate question to bring up in the face of a blizzard of pointless topics or threads.

Why don't you just start your own forum Okie and edit out whatever you dislike?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:35 am
The I Have A Friend Who Is Black thread deals with a real life situation with important political spects, and has given rise to several revealing posts.

The Boob Job thread is just starting, give it a chance.

In the end one never knows what thread will draw attention. As for rancor and bad feeling, the forum has moderators and over time they have become pretty good at removing posts/posters which clog up the arteries of debate and comunication.

There is a self-correcting mechanism on the board in that unless a thread is contributed to, it soon falls out of sight and out of mind, except for those that amazingly resurface months or years after they got sent out to pasture. Very Happy
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:17 am
Good point, Okie, 95% of the threads on here are just excuses to bitch and moan about inane personal pet peaves...views of the poster which have already been expressed hundreds of times yet said poster feels the need to bore us with a dedicated thread to regurge the peave.

It's a cry out for attention mostly.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:47 am
Here's a thread topic... "Mind Your F*cking Business and Stay Away If You Don't Approve, We'll All Be Happier"

just a thought.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:53 am
On a serious note this forum is like a big internet water cooler in my opinion and not every conversation arround the water cooler, in fact most of the conversations around the water cooler, are not weighty and pertinent. It's a real mixed bag of people shooting the ****, often in a stream of consciouness manner that takes conversations down little twisty side roads. T.hat's what makes it interesting

A very pleasant diversion until someone lets loose a nasty fart. Don't be that guy okie.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:58 am
Thanks for the reviews, okie. After reading this stupid political topic, I went to check out the boob job thread. I didn't see anything stupid with the thread, one reply struck me as stupid though. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:06 am
What difference does it make what is posted on this forum. Since it has as much influence as a fart in a windstorm.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:53 am
okie wrote:

I agree that there are som "lemon squeeze" threads, but I have to disagree with you on the "Operation Boob Job" one, butterfly does have an authentic political topic.
The "black friend" thread has turned into an alter of worship for MLK & MX.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:02 am
It is noteworthy that every thread which Okie has named is a thread, the topic of which expresses an opinion at odds with his political point of view. His whine might be a little more creditable if he had named threads from a right wing point of view.

But the Bear has it right--if you don't like the topic, don't read the thread.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:10 am
Setanta wrote:

I have suggested that in the past only to be ignored.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:59 am
Thanks for the input. I wanted to see the reaction. I should add that just because I listed the ones I did, I wasn't ranking them, and wasn't necessarily saying the topics did not have a serious intent or significant interest, although by judging the titles, I have my doubts to begin with. As pointed out, I don't have to read some threads, which I do not, and as dyslexia points out, it isn't my forum. I was simply making an observation to see what others impressions were in this regard.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:08 am
okie wrote:
Thanks for the input. I wanted to see the reaction. I should add that just because I listed the ones I did, I wasn't ranking them, and wasn't necessarily saying the topics did not have a serious intent or significant interest, although by judging the titles, I have my doubts to begin with. As pointed out, I don't have to read some threads, which I do not, and as dyslexia points out, it isn't my forum. I was simply making an observation to see what others impressions were in this regard.

bullshit, not even a good try Laughing
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
okie wrote:

& as I'm sure you expected, the usuals attacked you for daring to question their intent.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:15 pm
Thanks for the example of an inane comment being posted on an already existing inane topic, Okie. I wasn't sure what you were referring to. You've done a community service. Now I know and shall endeavor to follow your example in the future.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
okie wrote:

& as I'm sure you expected, the usuals attacked you for daring to question their intent.

You are correct. I expected it. Mirrors aren't real popular in some environs.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I have suggested that in the past only to be ignored.[/quote

perhaps if you were as well liked and popular as I, folks might listen. Razz
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:41 pm
okie wrote:

Topics are what keep these boards alive. If you don't care for a topic create your own, if you won't or can't create your own then just browse through and enjoy what others have freely (often frenetically, occasionally frantically) scribbled for our reading pleasure.

(Or just skip over the topic titles which don't interest you...I won't tell)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 11:22 pm
Sturgis, don't you know? That's the latest non-torture torture technique at Gitmo. They sit the prisoners down in front of a computer screen and force them to read every single topic on A2K over and over again, just like the rest of us addicts. :wink:
0 Replies