Deadly Porch Collapse In Chicago, Ill

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:10 am
Absolutely, 'twould be an awful thing. There's no denying that.

It's also disturbing that this is a semi-regular occurence in Chicago. If the people above my apartment had ever had dozens of people on the deck, I'd have been taking my cigarettes out front, thank you much.

I do remember one in San Francisco several years ago in which the landlord had been held culpable, but if I remember correctly there were "only" about twenty people out on a deck that was maybe 6' by 10'.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
I would guess, but I'm not sure, that most of the very serious injuries and deaths occurred on the lowest floor.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:13 am
I wonder how common these porches are in NYCity. Funny thing, I don't remember seeing any, when I lived there.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:45 am
Certainly not the first time in Chicago. I can remember it happening not often but enough to be weary.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:04 pm
Not me!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
NH, I meant that porches have fallen like that in Chicago before. It doesn't happen often but it happened enough to be aware of the possibility, if one found oneself in that situation, at a party, the weather is warm and the party has spilled outdoors. But it was reported today that the building manager/ owner will not be held accountable for the accident. It was just a case of too many people on the structure at one time.
You know, I spent time in NYC as well and I don't recall back porches like that either. Fire escapes are more common, I think.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:47 am
I agree and some of the NYCity buildings are really very old!
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:59 am
Sweet and New Haven, thanks for the compliment. It's nice to see that you both care about me enough to talk about me when I'm not present.

If you'd like to discuss history and perhaps get to know me as a person, you're welcome to send me a PM.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:23 am
Well now things have changed. From the City of Chicago to the Building Contractor, everyone is being blamed and sued.
0 Replies