Always hungry

flushd

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:29 am
How is it now, plainoldme?

I find this really interesting. Recently I was talking to my aunt about this stuff. She's been a cook her entire life and in the last few years became a nutrionist.

Anyhow, she says she always thought her appetite would wane as she got older. In her fifties, she is. Instead, she says it has basically stayed the same!

According to her, the 30's is when you first start to really see the 'quality of your work' as far as what you have done with your body. 40s and 50s there is no escaping the choices you make.

A bit of a tangeant but I think the point about each us being different and metabolism being a factor is important.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:38 am
Like mentioned ealier, you want to eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3 meals a day. It keeps your energy levels more stable, and your metabolism working through the day.

The less meals you eat, the slower your metabolism works because it has to store those calories for energy throughout the day. The more meals you eat, your metabolism becomes used to constantly working and burning calories.

Also by eating less meals, you experience bigger drops & peaks in blood sugar levels, which will make you more sluggish.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:51 am
Linkat wrote:
By the way I was "always hungry" when I was pregnant.

Oh my God, am i pregnant!!!?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you are receiving a lot of sound advice here MG..... see how we love you?

Yes, thank you bi polar bear.Id always wondered about your love for me as I felt you had more love for others but as you said 'do you see how WE love you' I feel all warm and squidgey now.

Id love the cream of sum yung gi but sadly its been off the menu for a long time.

I shall definately give the omlett thing a go.
Slappy doo hoo, your advice is noted.Thank yee.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:18 am
material girl wrote:
Linkat wrote:
By the way I was "always hungry" when I was pregnant.

Oh my God, am i pregnant!!!?

I don't know - but I would assume this would only be a symptom if you recently having this feeling of great hunger.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:35 am
Material girl, you might like reading this article on the three versus five or six meals a day thing. It verifies, by and large, what Slappy said. I found it when I was looking up confirmation on a hunch of my own, in that I've always noticed that when I eat a very large meal, I'm hungrier at the next meals, and that once I get used to eating smaller meals more often, it takes less for me to feel full. (Yes, I also know that if you stop eating a little early relative to feeling full, the full feeling catches up in a bit.)

My question was re stomach expansion making it take more to feel full, and this article at least slightly addresses that too - making it another reason besides the metabolic one to eat more times a day with less food per snack or meal.

http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/041001.htm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 04:48 pm
flushd -- I've been teaching for the past few years and there is something about that work that makes me hungry. I should add that after menopause I gained weight as women always do. Then, I was without a car for six weeks and walked 40 miles a week. I lost about 10 pounds during that time but all the walking is stimulating to the lower G.I. Misery!

I've also been tired which I think is due to boredom, so I don't eat breakfast.
As a teacher, mix of protein and carbs works best -- an egg and a slice of toast is great but yogurt with wheat germ is more realistic in terms of time to produce.

I generally have trouble finishing a big meal and eat about half what I did in my 20s and 30s.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 02:54 am
Ive bought some celery to work today to graze on.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:46 am
Its now lunchtime, Im ating the celery and i quite like it.

Can I recomend a soup.

Onion, leek, turnip, bouillon powder and bouillon veg stock cube, chop and boil it all down in significant amount of water, add some tarragon.Whizz it(just the veg as the water flies out) in a food processer so its like a paste, add it back to the water, heat and eat, its looovely.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:00 am
Add a grain to your soup mat girl. Rice or pasta or split peas (you have to soak the peas over night) it will be much more filling.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:36 am
Eggs to Lose Weight
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:58 am
dadpad wrote:
Add a grain to your soup mat girl. Rice or pasta or split peas (you have to soak the peas over night) it will be much more filling.

Il give it a go.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:22 pm
Try to include small amounts of protein every time you eat. Peanut butter on your toast (not too much), or chopped boiled eggs on your salad. Beans and other legumes are a good complex carbohydrate and will include both carbs and protein. Also make sure you are eating small amounts of fats. They're satisfying and help stave off hunger pangs. All fats are not created equally, however, so don't look at a large basket of fish and chips with the same eye as hummus made with chick peas and olive oil and whole wheat pita.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:32 pm
Mmm, more soup to add to the collection! Soup is great. It sneaks in water, too.

Plainoldme, that makes a lot of sense.

I've been on a real kick with fish. It is so good for breakfast. I do like it better fried up a little bit, but it doesn't take much fat. Just enough to mix that tasty flavour with the citrus or whatever.
Add some salad and good bread - the best.

Yeah, I'm weaning myself off my holiday hunger yet. All that sugar had my body telling me to eat junk constantly, but it's getting better. It's all habit. How fast I fell into that sugar and junk habit.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 04:19 pm
You need fat in order to digest some fat soluable vitamins. There is nothing tastier -- or more starvation staving off -- then the combo of meat and wheat. Just make the portions small. A salad with some cheese, chopped egg, chicken, grilled steak or fish lasts a lot longer than a plain salad.
0 Replies

mili

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:16 am
I would not like to pretend to be too smart, but based on reading and learning, we are more or less all doing a mistake.
You can stimulate your metabolism by having more meals (small/healthy) per day. Basically, to process all the intaken food, organism spends calories :-) (good news) so, more meals, small and carbo/proteina balanced, you have per day, better metabolism you will have and more calories you will spend.
However, you have to be careful what you eat and when you eat - this means carbohydrates in the first half of the day, proteines in the second. Vegetables (cooked on water) you can eat whenever you want.
try not to have too much carbohydrates (around 2gr per kilo) as unused carbohydrates turn into fat. Instead. increase protein intake at the expense of surplus of carbohidrates :-)
and recomended are at least five meals per day (once again small meals) Hope this woudl help :-)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:36 pm
Remember, an orange is a snack but a cookie isn't. A cookie will just make you more hungry later.
0 Replies