Always hungry

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:23 am
Ive been taught that you have 3 meals a day and thats it.
Admittedly I have a snack in the evening but only because im soooo hungry I dont think il last til morning.

Am I doing something wrong/
I have a breakfast cereal and a drink and about an hour later Im hungry again and it just gets worse, Im barely able to stand by lunch, let alone think properly.

I know people are going to say 'eat more' and Im more than sure Im eating very little nutritional food but does anyone else think the accepted plan of 3 meals a day is right or enough.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,637 • Replies: 36
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:56 am
Hi material girl. Very Happy (Haven't seen you in a while!)

I'm no expert on the correct number of meals (& the size of them) a person should have a day (Can't face breakfast first thing in the morning, myself.) so I'll leave that to the folk who are clued up on these things. Me, I tend to go by what my body "tells" me. And in winter it tells me I want considerably more substantial meals than in summer.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 06:57 am
It's wrong... graze when you feel hungry every few hours.... the idea is to graze correctly. I believe in eating a big breakfast, which, and I know this sounds like a cliche, is like filling up your tank before you go on a trip. You gotta have fuel to perform. Light mid morning snack.... LIGHT that is..good lunch.....LIGHT mid afternoon snack.....light dinner and call it a day. A glass of red wine will help you digest and keep the metabolism up.

When you feel hungry, your metabolism feels like it's starving and will go into slow down mode to retain fat, which is necessary for fuel and regulating your body temp. If yougive it a little something every few hours you fool it into working at a brisk pace all day.

If all that fails... two big rails of crystal meth in your morning coffee should hold you between pscychotic episodes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 07:08 am
Hi MG, good to see you.

I'm not going to address the 3 meals a day, but I'd really like to know what EXACTLY you are eating during your 3 meals and snack.

Breakfast cereal? Is that Sugar Coated Corn Zowee Zappers or whole grain, not artifically sweetened cereal?

Drink? Again, is that a Coke or calcium fortified organge juice with natural pulp? Do you get protein in the morning?

Sorry, but garbage in will equal garbage out in the way you experience hunger and overall well being.

Seriously, could you please list, for instance what exactly you ate yesterday and the day before?

This isn't to critisize or make you feel bad, but it's hard to know what to say when we don't know where we are right now. I'd really like to help.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 08:19 am
Hello everybody.I was off over Christmas aand now im back, but not very chatty so not been posting.

Yep, I eat rubbish.
Breakfast used to be cornflakes but this week its weetabix, Ive only recently started ot add sugar which is a 'half the amount of calories' variety.

Lunch-if at work I have a sandwich, so far its ham and mustard, at weekends its a hoison duck wrap which has salad in it.

Main meal is usually balanced.As Im asahmedly living with my parents still mum cooks most of my main meals, usually salad and meat.

In the evening I have 1 packet of crisps n a choccy bar(small).

I eat fruit too, apples, satsumas over christmas and bananas, things we normally have in the house.

I tend not to eat between meals, except in the evening.If i do I go for nuts or something 'good' as Im aware biscuits etc would be bad for me.
I suppose because i dint graze or have snaks during the day I make up for it at night and pig out on junk.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 09:01 am
Eat 6 small meals a day.

Breakfast
snack
Lunch
snack
Dinner
snack

For snacks, focus on 100 or less calories but foods that have other nutritional values, like fruit or low fat yogurt. A candy bar for a snack doesn't really count...300+ calories could be your lunch. Eat more fiber. It will fill you without adding needless calories and fat.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:00 am
The old saying about eating breakfast really stands up. At least in my mind.

And lord, no way I could live with brekky cereal only in the morn. Gotta have meat or something with protein in it. Takes longer to digest. Fuels yer muscles.

Grazing has worked for me and that is all I can say. And if you eat when you are hungry - instead of going by anybody's rules - just eat when you want, it is so much easier to maintain a body weight.

I tend to focus on the quality of the food rather than calories or anything like that.

Obviously the crisps and choccy and brekky cereals are not the best for quality. Most brekky cereals are trash, with a few exceptions, or plain old rip offs.
Oatmeal, puffed wheat or wheat bales work.

It does seem counter-intuitive, but eating more keeps you thin. There comes a point where if you are eating the right stuff and drinking your water and getting some movement in - there just isn't room for junk. You won't want it.

Watching my friend in her efforts to shed weight, I found all this to be doubly true. She lost pounds simply by starting to eat breakfast. That's before she changed anything else - just started eating a good breakfast.

ok, enough. Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:02 am
There was this chick on some program that flipped her meals...ate dinner in the morning and breakfast at night. Basically eating her heaviest meal in the morning.

She lost like 85 pounds that way.

No kidding.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:07 am
I totally agree.If I had the equivalent of a healthy fry up for breakfast I probably wouldnt need to eat again for hours.
But what is the equivalent of a helathy fry up?!

I had 3 weetabix this morning instaed of 2 and I was still hungry!!
When I used to have cornflakes I had an apple sometimes afterwards and I swaer it made me hungrier quicker.

I need to look into bigger breakfasts and grazing, good plan stan.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:10 am
Eggs, toast, jam, ham, turkey bacon, fruit, oatmeal.

A nice omelette with a meat (try turkey bacon) veggies and some cheese is a great breakfast. Combine that with a glass of low fat milk or oj and a piece of fruit and you got yourself a hearty and healthy breakfast.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:18 am
Omlette sounds nice, do I have to boil the veg first?Im not a cook, Im sure you can tell.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:22 am
Nope.

Chop them up and eat em crunchy. You can cook them if you'd like. But most people just chop them up and eat them warm but raw.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:26 am
Oh and here's the great part.

Cut your veggies up ahead of time. They'll stay in the fridge for a few days in baggies or plastic containers. You can alternate your omelettes then without taking up a bunch of time/

Say you like onions, green peppers, mushrooms and red peppers. Cut them all up and put them in seperate containers. Buy a few cheeses you like and you can really make your omelettes different.

Monday- Keepin' it simple.....you can have a mushroom and onion omelette with swiss cheese.
Tuesday- a little spicy..... you can have an onion, green pepper and red pepper omelette with pepper jack cheese.
Wednesday - hump day, just trying to get by.....you can have a plain old cheddar cheese omelette.

See what I mean?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:34 am
you are receiving a lot of sound advice here MG..... see how we love you?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
I just ate a Chinese girl and I am still hungry.

(Is this the thread for such a comment?)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
may i suggest a side of cream of sum yung gi?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:03 pm
I must be the opposite of most people (I usually am different than most). I rarely eat breakfast. I may have a coffee and if I am hungry in the morning it can vary from some fruit to toast to a complete full breakfast with eggs and such, although that is the exception. I usually eat my biggest meal at dinner and I tend to eat when I am hungry and have replaced water with soda and other drinks (except my occasional ice coffee). I don't know what I weigh as I don't own a scale, but I now take a size 2 or 0 depending on the cut. I am short so the weight is proportionate to my height. I do tend to eat healthy foods and rarely processed or so called junk food - although dark chocolate is a favorite. I will often have a glass of red wine with dinner.

I do think everyone is different in their makeup and such, but I if you eat healthy foods and eat when you are hungry and not huge portions you can maintain a healthy weight.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:03 pm
By the way I was "always hungry" when I was pregnant.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
Like flusd said, you really do need some protein in the morning, that's what satiates you.

I've been on the low glycemic load band wagon for a while, and it really does make a difference in how long a food satisfies you.

One thing I can say, is cut out the corn flakes. There are 2 foods that have the highest glycemic load, meaning it breaks right down and floods your system, then you crash....it's potatos and processed corn products.

The object is to eat foods that break down slooooowly so your blood sugar level remains more constant throughout the day. On another thread I was talking about Kashi 7 grain pilaf, and how much I loved it. It stays with you a long time, is bulky so it fills you up, and it's very very nutritious. It's no harder than boiling rice. I've never eaten it plain, I'll add a can of spicy tomatos or bits of mushrooms, cooking the pilaf with chicken or beef broth.

One thing is find what works best for you.

Bellas idea is good about snacks, but for me personally, it wouldn't work. If I ate a snack that only had a 100 calories, I'd feel like that was just a tease. For me, I'm more comfortable eating lighter meals, and bigger snacks.

You must find your own way with this grasshopper.

OH! and sometimes when you think you're hungry, you're really thirsty, drink plenty of water.

In the morning for protein I'll have either: eggs, peanut butter, egg beaters (which are all egg whites) mixed with diced up mushrooms, a little cheese etc. and bulk up the meal with a whole grain. To drink, I'll have soy milk or calcium fortified orange juice.

You're exactly right, eating cornflakes will and does leave you hungry sooner.

Personally, I can't be bothered remembering a lot of numbers and facts and figures. What I do is ask myself

"Did somebody have to do a bunch of stuff to this food to get it to it's present form"?

If the answer is yes, I look for an alternative, or only eat a small amount. If the answer is that it pretty much came out of the ground that way, I feel pretty good about eating it.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 04:35 pm
Today, people are being taught to graze, that is, to eat five to seven micromeals.

Actually, I do not think there is a right way -- in the universal sense -- to eat or a wrong way in terms of numbers of meals per day. Everyone's metabolism is unique and that metabolism will change several times throughout one's life.

In my 20s, I needed two meals per day. Things are different now.
0 Replies