IT SEEMS LIKE ONLY YESTERDAY

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:06 pm
I ran across this article in The Nation; I guess I'm still in mourning; do any of you have any thoughts regarding Paul Wellstone (please take the time to go to this link and read it first...thank you!)?

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021111&s=wellstone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 860 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 03:17 pm
Well, it's been a week now and still no replies. I surmise that either no one wanted to read 4 pages or that no one on PUP liked him or that no one cared. Which is it?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
It is odd, isn't it, all this silence? When Wellstone's plane disappeared from the airport's radar, he disappeared from our political radar as well.
I haven't read a single reference to him from any of the current candidates, that may be because his national profile wasn't as high among voters of the center, who everyone is chasing, as it was among those others, people like us, who are truly progressive.

to better days,
Jonathan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 11:45 am
I simply haven't been in contact with much of the man's achievements. Not for lack of caring - I have such a load I can't include everything, worthy or not.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:23 pm
Thank you, Joe; I keep forgetting this is described as a "slightly liberal" or something-like-that group...they probably actually don't know Wellstone (what a loss!!!!). Then here we both are, raging progressives from nowhere near Minnesota and we are aware of his entire career - WOW! Also, PDiddie hasn't posted since 6/30 and I just know he will weigh in upon his return ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
I have long been aware of Wellstone; our paths just never converged.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 12:37 pm
But, EB, he was just so good! Our paths never actually "converged" either, but I became so fascinated, first by his voting record, that I made it a choice to look deeper into him in totality. What I found was an absolutely incredible story of academic to politico who stayed with his original principles throughout the entire journey. He was first voted into elective office by a coalition of idealistic young college students and the poor and the alienated and otherwise downtrodden of society and gained respect from all, even those who hated his beliefs, because he was so steadfast and principled a man.

Judging by so much of what I've seen around A2K, maybe others just can't stand that he was also a proud Jew who actually married a proud Jew (Sheila, who worked diligently by his side, a social worker who shared his beliefs, his children and their lives)!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2003 03:34 pm
I agree with you, sweetcomplication. It's just one of my many failings that I did not familiarize myself with this man.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 07:42 pm
http://www.cursor.org/images/highfive.jpg

David Broder quoted a Wellstone campaign volunteer who says that "People say there are no political heroes left in the world, but we know better. We had one here."

Star Tribune columnist Doug Grow wrote that "On election days, Paul Wellstone would board his green bus and the ugliness and the cynicism of modern politics would vanish."

Wellstone "was a special treasure," wrote Joshua Micah Marshall, "a sort of genuinely progressive, utterly engaged and sincere politician who somehow captured what was essential in the aspirations of his party, even if he supported policies that others didn't."

"Wellstone was willing to be the "1" in a 99-1 vote," wrote Geo. Parish, "and that's why people mourn him so."

Mickey Kaus wrote that he "lacked the qualities that make a successful modern U.S. Senator: he wasn't a poser, a trimmer, a schemer, a dissembler, a self-aggrandizing egomaniac or a vicious infighter. He wasn't an a--hole."

Those who disagreed with Wellstone often called him "the last liberal in America," and "maybe he was," wrote Pioneer Press columnist Nick Coleman. "They meant it as an insult but he wore it as a badge of honor. Whatever his detractors said of Paul Wellstone, he had a heart that was bigger and braver than anyone else in Washington."

"He wasn't supposed to have left like this," wrote one of his detractors, a conservative radio talk show host. "And you know it wasn't supposed to be like this or else a guy who didn't agree with him on anything wouldn't have felt such a grip in the throat."

In appreciation of Senator "Softie," the Washington Post's Mark Leibovich called Wellstone "one of the great agonizers in American politics," who "always seemed to relish the time he spent in gray areas."

Minnesota writer Bill Holm tells of speaking with Wellstone in 1998, just before Jesse Ventura became governor: "How curious, I told Paul, that the two most interesting politicians in Minnesota at the moment should both be wrestlers. He replied with a wry smile: 'But I'm a real one.'"

"There are some persistent myths about Wellstone that should be corrected before they are set in our collective eulogy," wrote Pioneer Press columnist Laura Billings. "The first, that he was an 'extremist' representing 'the far left wing' of the Democratic party, two phrases repeated like a mantra by opponents in his most recent campaign. Look at the people who wept for him... battered women, immigrants, military veterans, young families, gays and lesbians, family farmers and every other underdog group. Then look at the people who won't -- that race-baiting talk radio demagogue who recently wished Wellstone would 'drop dead.' It wasn't Wellstone who was the extremist."

"Senators ain't sissies," writes Peggy Noonan. "They can be one cold crew. But Wellstone touched them in a way that was special."

Sen. Tom Harkin said that "Paul Wellstone was my closest friend in the Senate. He was the most principled public servant I've ever known."

http://www.cursor.org/images/greenbus.jpg

Go find the links for all of the above quotes in this archive.

http://www.cursor.org/images/wellstoneinsidecover.jpg
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:58 pm
I told you guys PDiddie would "weigh in", but I didn't realize just how much he would add. I am in awe of his post. Thank you, thank you, thank you, PD. What a beautiful thing you shared with us!

Usually, as you all are (unfortunately) aware, I am not speechless, but, in this case, I am so overwhelmed that I think I'll just go read PD's post again and marvel at the work he put together...WOW!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:56 pm
Quote:
Among Democrats, The Energy Seems To Be on the Left

Borrowing from the left's most recent fallen hero, the late senator Paul
Wellstone (D-Minn.), Dean said he speaks for "the Democratic wing of the
Democratic Party" -- in other words, not the "New Democrats." Writing on
Buzzflash.com, a Web site for the Democratic left, Stuart Finkel of Austin
said Dean's supporters "have been energized by the willingness of Howard
Dean to do what the DLC and the Democratic leaders in Washington have been
so unwilling to do: match George W. Bush word for word, and call every lie
he tells a lie."

And while Dean surges, the two candidates in the race most closely
associated with the DLC -- Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman (Conn.) and John
Edwards (N.C.) -- are struggling to avoid the perception that their
campaigns have stalled.

Jeff Blodgett is a Minnesota Democrat who managed Wellstone's campaigns.
Now he serves as director of Wellstone Action, a nonprofit group created
by Wellstone's two sons to train a new generation of liberal activists.
"The reaction has been extraordinary," he said. The first two "Camp
Wellstone" training sessions filled immediately -- 110 people in each
session. "We've had 10,000 people either become founding members or sign
up for our e-mail action list since mid-March.

To read the entire article, go to:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35640-2003Jul9.html?nav=hptop_tb

There ya go!
0 Replies