Bogus New Intel Chief Nominee

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:27 pm
Officials believe White House chose new Intelligence chief in effort to darken Iran Intelligence Estimate, broaden domestic surveillance

Larisa Alexandrovna

The nomination of retired Vice Admiral John Michael "Mike" McConnell to be Director of National Intelligence is part of an effort by the Vice President to tighten the Administration's grip on domestic intelligence and grease the wheels for a more aggressive stance towards Iran, current and former intelligence officials believe.

If confirmed, McConnell will replace current National Intelligence Director John Negroponte, who was tapped Friday to become Deputy Secretary of State under Secretary Condoleezza Rice. According to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, Negroponte's exit followed a lengthy internal administration battle between the Office of the Vice President and the two-year-old Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

According to officials close to both men, two issues surround Negroponte's departure and McConnell's nomination: a forthcoming National Intelligence Estimate on Iran - which the White House could use to buttress a case for military force - and pressure from the Vice President to augment domestic surveillance.

Negroponte had resisted both efforts. Tensions soared after Negroponte made a public statement last year that countered the administration position that Iran was an immediate threat and that its alleged nuclear weapons program was in an advanced stage.

"The NIE on Iran is at issue," said one former senior intelligence officer close to Negroponte.

The National Intelligence Estimate is an interagency report that synthesizes information across all intelligence agencies on a particular topic, providing an overall assessment and analysis. In private conversations with RAW STORY, current and former US intelligence officials from various agencies raised concerns with McConnell's appointment and its effect on the Iran NIE.

"McConnell will go along with whatever [Cheney tells him to do] and make sure that no objective NIE comes out," one former senior intelligence officer said.

A spokesman for the National Intelligence Director's Office, however, denied the Estimate would be affected.

"I don't have any reason to believe that the change with Mr. Negroponte and Admiral McConnell will delay the NIEs on Iran or Iraq at this point," spokesman Chad Colton said Sunday. The Iran Estimate is scheduled to be released some time this month.

All of the officials RAW STORY spoke with had reservations about Admiral McConnell.

In a call Friday, President Reagan's Director of Intelligence Programs for the National Security Council from 1984-1987 and onetime CIA counterterror chief Vincent Cannistraro called the nomination "a disaster."

"McConnell's not an effective manager," said former CIA officer Larry Johnson. "He will be likely to acquiesce to White House pressure on issues."

Johnson called McConnell "Rummyesque."

The National Intelligence Estimate on Iran link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 475 • Replies: 16
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:33 pm
Larry Johnson is the bogus one, he has been against just about anything & everything Bush has done.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:53 pm
LoneStar, hahah. That's funny. Larry Johnson has pointed out Bushie's lies and twisting of Intelligence that led to the Iraq war. He's one of a bunch of long time CIA people who exposed Bushie's lies. They've taken some heat but now 6 out of 10 Americans say Bushie deliberately lied us into war. Larry Johnson's in the mainstream. And Bushie is trying to pull the same old scam over Iran that he did over Iraq. But as Bushie once said "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, 'fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me' -- you can't get fooled again. You've got to understand the nature of the regime we're dealing with."
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
In a call Friday, President Reagan's Director of Intelligence Programs for the National Security Council from 1984-1987 and Chief of Operations and Analysis at the Central CIA's Counterterrorism Center under President Bush Sr. Vincent Cannistraro called the nomination "a disaster."
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 02:59 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
LoneStar, hahah. That's funny. Larry Johnson has pointed out Bushie's lies and twisting of Intelligence that led to the Iraq war. He's one of a bunch of long time CIA people who exposed Bushie's lies. They've taken some heat but now 6 out of 10 Americans say Bushie deliberately lied us into war. Larry Johnson's in the mainstream. And Bushie is trying to pull the same old scam over Iran that he did over Iraq. But as Bushie once said "There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, 'fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me' -- you can't get fooled again. You've got to understand the nature of the regime we're dealing with."

You just reiterated what i said.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
Lonestar, I certainly did not reiterate what you said. You called Johnson bogus. I pointed out that he proved Bushie to be a liar and a twister of intelligence. Which America is now aware to be the truth. Bushie is bogus. His war was built on lies. America knows it. What struck me about your attack on Johnson is that he was quoted once yet you picked him out to attack while ignoring the fact that the Chief of Operations and Analysis at the Central CIA's Counterterrorism Center under President Bush Sr. Vincent Cannistraro called the nomination "a disaster." You cherry pick like Bushie cherry picked.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:21 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Lonestar, I certainly did not reiterate what you said. You called Johnson bogus. I pointed out that he proved Bushie to be a liar and a twister of intelligence. Which America is now aware to be the truth. Bushie is bogus. His war was built on lies. America knows it. What struck me about your attack on Johnson is that he was quoted once yet you picked him out to attack while ignoring the fact that the Chief of Operations and Analysis at the Central CIA's Counterterrorism Center under President Bush Sr. Vincent Cannistraro called the nomination "a disaster." You cherry pick like Bushie cherry picked.

No he did not prove bush a liar, & yes, when i said that he has gone against everything bush has said or done makes him bogus, you basically said the same thing.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 04:58 pm
LoneStar, right. Bushie didn't lie and twist intelligence. Dont tell America that though because overwhelmingly Americans say he deliberately lied us into war. Deliberately. A very high crime.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:30 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
LoneStar, right. Bushie didn't lie and twist intelligence. Dont tell America that though because overwhelmingly Americans say he deliberately lied us into war. Deliberately. A very high crime.

Perjury is the high crime,(which people seem to get by with doing, no jail time anyway) lying isn't against the law. However, be that as it may, i do believe that lying to the American people is wrong. What is the lie Bush told? Do you have a poll that shows where American overwhelmingly says that bush lied?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
blueflame1 wrote:

funny
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 05:42 pm
funny
Pathetic that someone doesn't have the cajones to post directly to someone but takes the cowardly way in trying to needle a poster by sneaky methods.
The 10th Mountain Division still at Ft Polk? lol
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
Robert Parry | Bush's Rush to Armageddon
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/010807R.shtml
Robert Parry writes: "On January 4, Bush ousted the top two commanders in the Middle East, Generals John Abizaid and George Casey, who had opposed a military escalation in Iraq, and removed Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte, who had stood by intelligence estimates downplaying the near-term threat from Iran's nuclear program. Most Washington observers have treated Bush's shake-up as either routine or part of his desire for a new team to handle his planned 'surge' of US troops in Iraq. But intelligence sources say the personnel changes also fit with a scenario for attacking Iran's nuclear facilities and seeking violent regime change in Syria."
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:18 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Robert Parry | Bush's Rush to Armageddon
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/010807R.shtml
Robert Parry writes: "On January 4, Bush ousted the top two commanders in the Middle East, Generals John Abizaid and George Casey, who had opposed a military escalation in Iraq, and removed Director of National Intelligence John Negroponte, who had stood by intelligence estimates downplaying the near-term threat from Iran's nuclear program. Most Washington observers have treated Bush's shake-up as either routine or part of his desire for a new team to handle his planned 'surge' of US troops in Iraq. But intelligence sources say the personnel changes also fit with a scenario for attacking Iran's nuclear facilities and seeking violent regime change in Syria."

That isn't proof of lying & it is Bushs' perogative to hire & fire anybody in the command at that level. Bush said that he didn't want somebody telling him what wouldn't work but what would work. I believe that Abizaid had planned on retiring last june but Rumsfeld had asked him to stay on until jan.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:33 pm
LoneStar, so few Americans now think Bushie didn't lie us into the war in Iraq that I gotta feel the pain of those still defending him. It must be hard to take these days as the country turns on him. Wait'll the hearings begin on twisting of intel. You say, "lying isn't against the law." But deliberately lying us into an unjust preemptive war is the highest crime imaginable. Hundreds of thousands dead who would not be dead if Bushie had not lied us into it. One nation torn apart physically and one Superpower torn apart spiritually. He should rot in prison. What was not illegal though were his jokes about not finding WMD. It was the surest sign of his low morality and madness. Jokes a Caligula would tell. More telling was the laughter from the media. A sure sign of American perversion.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 06:45 pm
Here's strong evidence of a Superpower gone mad. http://www.musicforamerica.org/bushjoke
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:42 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
LoneStar, so few Americans now think Bushie didn't lie us into the war in Iraq that I gotta feel the pain of those still defending him. It must be hard to take these days as the country turns on him. Wait'll the hearings begin on twisting of intel. You say, "lying isn't against the law." But deliberately lying us into an unjust preemptive war is the highest crime imaginable. Hundreds of thousands dead who would not be dead if Bushie had not lied us into it. One nation torn apart physically and one Superpower torn apart spiritually. He should rot in prison. What was not illegal though were his jokes about not finding WMD. It was the surest sign of his low morality and madness. Jokes a Caligula would tell. More telling was the laughter from the media. A sure sign of American perversion.

I am waiting for the hearings, seriously, i want to know if he lied, but, his enemies saying he lied with no proof just isn't good enough. I don't know if he lied or not & neither do you.
BTW-waiting for proof that he lied isn't defending him.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:55 pm
LoneStar, as ElBaradei said about Powell's testimony at the UN, fake, fabricated, forged. You would at least think the forgeries would be more professional than the Niger Report. Well I would even if you wouldn't.
0 Replies