Scuba diving anyone?

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
Finished my first day of the open water scuba course yesterday. Two more days to go and (provided I pass) I'll be able to scuba dive in the warm tropical waters on my next trip to Phuket, instead of just floating on the surface.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,919 • Replies: 28
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 12:20 pm
Not recently, but at one time I was PADI and NAUI certified and an avid diver. It's been so long, I'd need a refresher course before going down again.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:43 pm
I dived the reef off south molle island and Port Phillip Bay, but not for a loooong time now. My wetsuit doesnt fit, the kids lost my snorkle at Byron Bay and I left my weight belt is on the bank of a river somewhere I can't remember when I was snorkling for fresh water crays.

Had a good time though.

Dont get bent (at least not in the water)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 07:53 pm
Our dive went for 11 minutes today. We got under and were getting tossed around and had about 2 metres visibility. The instructor called it off. He was afraid he'd "lose" someone.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:01 pm
Log it as a limited visibility dive.
Where are you diving?

I remeber diving outside port phillip heads in a reasonably strong current once.

I went in with the rest of the boatload (5 or 6) and got to the bottom, hung onto a rock waiting for my buddy and chatted to a fish about aninch in front of my mask. One of the party started getting swept out to sea so all the other divers piled back into the boat and off the boat took off to rescue this guy.

They came back eventually.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
Bass point Shellharbour.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:03 pm
On your next trip to where?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:48 pm
roger wrote:

I'm going to Thailand at the end of the month to visit the outlaws. We're also going to Phuket for a week. I want to get certified before I go so that I can dive in one of the world's best diving locations.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:28 pm
JPB wrote:
Not recently, but at one time I was PADI and NAUI certified and an avid diver. It's been so long, I'd need a refresher course before going down again.

The rules have changed even in the 10 yrs since I've been diving - if you haven't dived in 6 months, you have to do a refresher. At any certified diving outlet, anyway. The guys you meet on the beach have no such scruples!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:43 pm
roger wrote:

That would be "poo ket" I believe.

The Illawarra! near kiama isnt it.

The workers club was good.

Quote:
if you haven't dived in 6 months, you have to do a refresher[/quote\

Now theres a nice little money spinner.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:48 pm
You have this to look forward to

http://www.frogdive.com.au/gallery/shnov06_4.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:55 pm
Yeah, it seems to be a money-grab but the thing is, the only people who make any money are the dive clubs/centres... it's not PADI or NAUI. I think it's bogus, myself... I mean, how much can things change, unless there's something radically different I haven't heard about.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm
dadpad wrote:

Kiama is in the Illawarra. It's about 12km south of where we were this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Point

http://www.check-in.com.au/Illawarra/Bass_Point_Reserve.htm
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:24 pm
Mame wrote:
Yeah, it seems to be a money-grab but the thing is, the only people who make any money are the dive clubs/centres... it's not PADI or NAUI. I think it's bogus, myself... I mean, how much can things change, unless there's something radically different I haven't heard about.

dive certification is for life, but refreshers are recommended if it's been a significant period since the last dive. There's some resorts that won't permit you to dive unless your log shows a recent history of diving.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:28 pm
Wilso wrote:
dadpad wrote:

Kiama is in the Illawarra. It's about 12km south of where we were this morning.

I knew all that wilso, I just didnt make myself clear, as in shell harbour is near kiama (Which I know it is) Thus big noting myself as some form of Australian geographical expert. Embarrassed

I expect dive photos tomorrow
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:28 pm
Yeah, that's what we were saying. Many now won't let you dive if you haven't dived in the last 6 months - and not only resorts, but dive clubs, dive centres. They'll check you out for about $60 US...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:57 pm
Well, I gave it a try, DadPad, but it just doesn't come out "poo ket", but I'll work on it a bit more.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:09 am
roger wrote:
Well, I gave it a try, DadPad, but it just doesn't come out "poo ket", but I'll work on it a bit more.

Rat............. I like you. I think you are closet Aussie. Admit it when you get home at night you relax by wearing a cork hat and thongs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:22 am
I do not wear thongs.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:01 am
Addias Thongs.

http://www.rogansshoes.com/MaelstromCart/Images/Site32/AD_SantioThongAlarm.jpg
0 Replies