Scuba diving anyone?

Bohne

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 04:41 am
If you start diving in cold water and bad visibility, you will be able to dive ANYWHERE you want to.
That's the good thing.

Lots of people who learn to dive in Egypt or the Carribean, never even consider diving in lakes.

And I have had some of my most beautiful dives in cold European lakes.

I have been diving for eight years and am a CMAS* Instructor.
Didn't do much diving last year, as I had a baby in July, but planning to try for my theoretical CMAS** Instructor's Exam this year.

As for the money, I work for a German dive club in my spare time and get no money for it.
I always tell people it's better to join a club.
For one, you will always have a partner, you can get the equipment cheap or for free, and there will always be some cool trips, that you might not even think of on your own.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 05:37 am
A few years ago; I tried it with about a few minute tutorial from my old man who had all the equipment (Lesson 1: get a real lesson). We waded into the ocean on a really rough day. Embarrassed Next thing I know, I'm getting turned over by the waves and getting my ass kicked off the bottom. About the time I made it out deep enough that I could duck the waves; I noticed the old man was nowhere in sight. Still struggling to keep any form of control, I finally see him heading for the peer, presumably for something to grab on to. Shocked The problem there, if you don't know, and being from Wisconsin he didn't, is the barnacle buildup around a peer in South Florida will cut you to ribbons on a rough day. Yelling was useless on account of the pounding waves; so I dropped my weight belt and swam my ass off to catch him. I think we were both on the verge of drowning before I finally managed to drag his ass to shore. Lesson 2: don't wade in on a rough days. Laughing

Battered, bruised, tired and lacerated, I was still anxious to try it, so I decided to head for the inter coastal where the water is much calmer, but visibility is about 6 inches. No sooner did I get over the initial weirdness of breathing under water, crawling along the bottom; I got the **** scared out of me by a plant. Embarrassed It was weird looking and came out of nowhere, I swear! Lesson 3: Plants are scary and no-visibility sucks. :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 06:32 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
(Lesson 1: get a real lesson).

My lessons are real I can assure you. Our instructor is a former North Sea oil rig diver who currently has around 18000 logged dives.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 01:27 pm
[quote="OCCOM BILL"]A few years ago; I tried it with about a few minute tutorial from my old man who had all the equipment (Lesson 1: get a real lesson). We waded into the ocean on a really rough day.
Lesson 3: Plants are scary and no-visibility sucks. :wink:[/quote]

That was not what I had in mind, when I spoke about starting to dive in cold water and bad visibility.

Confused

Have you tried since?
I actually went diving in Devil's Lake near Madison once.
That was a really crappy dive, partially, because the compass that I had borrowed did not work, and I was low on weights because I underestimated the additional weights I would need for an aluminium tank instead of a steel tank.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:10 pm
Got my certification today. I'm rapt.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:10 pm
Having spent time ON an oil rig, I sure as hell never want to be in the water BENEATH an oil rig. You can have yer brains pounded into a veal scallopini that way.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 12:25 am
farmerman wrote:
Having spent time ON an oil rig, I sure as hell never want to be in the water BENEATH an oil rig. You can have yer brains pounded into a veal scallopini that way.

He used to go down in a bell, and stay down there for 9 days.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:27 am
The reason I took up diving.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Resized/DSC02060.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:36 am
fer criyng out loud, Its a bloody toady wilso!

sheet!

cute pic though.
0 Replies