Is Beckett Bunk or What?

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 10:33 am
"Breath" may have been a reaction to another performance in which, for the sake of veracity, actual aging sides of beef were hung in a theater for a play that was set in a -- well, somewhere that would have lots of sides of beef hanging about. I'm not sure of that, though, and the book in which I read about the beef incident took no notice of Beckett, as he came some years after.

He was also writing for an audience that was more versed in theater and went on a very regular basis, and was not entirely unaccustomed to such pranks. Today, I think, you'd have trouble getting a theater to do it because of outrage from the customers.

This "Breathe" thing really does sound like a completely different sort of thing, and I think that may be relevant. Fer instance, there's a theater here called "The Empty Space" after one of iof Peter Brooks treatises on what theater should and shouldn't be, and from what I've seen is dedicated to presenting the sort of work that Brook was writing against.

Sorry about the lack of focus; I used to be pretty well-versed on this stuff, but I seem to have unlearned a lot in the last few years.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:17 pm
Well Letty; this is music to my eyes!

"A poem should not mean, But be." Exactly

Art is emotional communication, and on that basis the responses here have little to do with the cerebrum, and lots of input from the nether regions of the body.
To me that reads "success".

Becket is quite brilliant (Godot), and can be (obviously) succinct (Breath)!
The economics of what you pay for, and how much when attending the theatre, are not, nor should they be, the problem of the artist!

When one is assessing ideas, it is necessary to keep an open mind;
when assessing art, keep an open "heart"!

Enjoy, don't think, you'll spoil the effect!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
Great discussion re Beckett. I consider myself a fan, though I've only seen "Godot" and a recent one-man show by Bill Irwin of various Beckett texts that he performed. It was excellent.

I can't speak to the performance in question, but clearly Beckett didn't mind pushing the boundaries. I read a biography of him recently ("Samuel Beckett: The Last Modernist") which helped me appreciate where he came from, as a man and a writer. He was James Joyce's assistant, for a while, when he was establishing himself in Paris. Joyce hoped Beckett would marry Lucia, Joyce's somewhat unbalanced daughter, but it was not to be.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but I find that connection fascinating. Joyce, after all, could be rather challenging himself!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:36 pm
Those Irish francophiles had to stick together!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:44 pm
But whiskey make a poor glue! Embarrassed
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:59 pm
And absinthe an excellent solvent, I'm afraid...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 01:06 pm
Bo, Your response was artistically arranged right down to the hashed metaphor. Smile It took me some time to appreciate Yeats. I kept getting hung up on his "Second Coming."

D'ar, Woody Allen's movie "Picking up the Pieces" reminds me somewhat of Godot. Probably the only movie with Allen that I ever found redeeming.

and as to the "super" glue--well Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:22 pm
Letty, "Picking Up the Pieces"? Never heard of that Woody Allen film, though I admit I don't keep as well as I did. Was that recent?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:38 pm
D'ar, I stumbled across it while surfing the pay channels one night. I watched most of it, and it was hilarious. The good guys didn't win and the bad guys did. Allen's little monologue at the end was fantastic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:33 pm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 04:44 pm
Well, now I know why I never heard of it. No theatrical release! Thanks for sharing, Letty...
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 08:56 pm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:03 pm
Hey, Billy. Did I say that? Shocked
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
"Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett.
A bleak play about two tramps, Vladimir and Estragon, who in the first act talk, go nowhere, do nothing, accomplish nothing. In the second act the tramps talk, go nowhere, do nothing,accomplish nothing.
At the end of the play, one says to the other "Shall we go then?" 'Yes, let's go." The stage directions say they don't move. Curtain.

There was a production of Godot in New York City about ten years ago. Guess who played the two tramps? None other than those two "artsy fartsy" guys Robin Williams and Steve Martin. The fact that they played a limited run(sold out) on the legitimate stage says more about them than about Beckett. Both guys come off as intellectuals.

Aside: When Beckett was asked "Who is Godot?" He replied "If I'd known, I would have told you.

Aside,aside: Picasso's painting "Guernica" has had more books written about it than any painting in history.

BillyFalcon said," I like a play that grabs you by the shoulders and shakes the **** out of you."

BillyFalcon also said,"We do not so much define art and judge its artistic merit,
as we define ourselves by the art we judge to have merit."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 06:03 am
I certainly did like what BillyFalcon said at the end of his post. Cool
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 07:39 am
Wee Billy be he in the third person, or not) missed the point; if not the world!

And Letty; from the "crit" that you posted, it seems the movie (pieces)missed the mark at which it aimed (fell to "pieces" one might say); however if you enjoyed it, it must have redeeming features (me try).

I must state that with one exception, I have not seen a movie with Woody Allen in it that I could stand; I find his repetitive non acting "character" annoying, boring, and an insult to the acting profession.
The exception being the one in which the sex act was enacted full scale by hilariously costumed people, from the perspective of the internal organs of the male partisipant (obviously can't remember the title).
However on the subject of W.Allen, his film "Interiors", which he directed, but did not have an onscreen presence in, is absolutely brilliant from the point of view of direction; every shot was a masterpiece, well worth seeing.
It seems that intellect does not always serve the clown as well as it serves the artist!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
Meanwhile back at Beckett, Bo. Smile

Methinks it time to stem the flow.
Billy boy has run amok,
Woody fans are out of luck.
And Letty is inclined to say,
"Interiors" might just save this day.

I'm takin' a deep breath, now. Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 08:32 am
Letty we can't just concentrate on "Interiors"

and "leave it all pent up inside!" Twisted Evil
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
I'm a crass bastard. I like "Bananas" and "Deconstructing Harry."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 09:35 am
Hmmm. I thought the site was down. Guess not.

Hey, Beckett, I'll bet you're up there laughin' your arse off.

And, Bo. You're right. Something is defined by nothing.

Base 2 to earth--
0 Replies