Cindy Sheehan is in Cuba. Really?

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:09 pm
I haven't read anything, just heard on CNN this morning that Cindy Shaeehan is in Cuba visiting/protesting Guantanimo or something.

I didn't realize that was allowed. I mean, I didn't even think US citizens were allwed to travel to Cuba. Is Gitmo different since it's occupied by the US, or is travel to Cuba not restricted?

Can one holiday there and come back without any trouble as long as there's no contraband in the luggage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 711 • Replies: 11
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
apparently if you travel under the banner of a human rights group, you can get around the travel ban

the full story here
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:18 pm
From ... sorry ... FOXnews:
Quote:
Also in the delegation to Cuba is Medea Benjamin, who organized the trip through the California activist groups Global Exchange and Codepink.

"The restrictions have been around way too long, change is way overdue," Benjamin said, adding that the Cuba sanctions made the group's trip very difficult.

"We had to jump through hoops to put together this delegation," she said.

Benjamin said she and others in the group of 12 believe they are exempt from the U.S. restrictions because they are traveling as professional human rights activists who will attend a daylong international conference in the Cuban city of Guantanamo on Wednesday.

They plan to protest outside the main gate of the U.S. Navy's Guantanamo base Thursday to call for the closure of its prison for terrorism suspects.

Among the delegation is a former U.S. Army colonel, a constitutional law expert, the mother of a British citizen held at Guantanamo and a former detainee there.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:24 pm
Ah! Okay. That makes more sense. But, I bet she still gets harrassed at the airport on the way back in.

Personally, I think the sanctions need to be lifted.
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:25 pm
I must admit my pleasure in seeing that tiny Cuba can still be platform on which to embarrasses the mighty U.S. and expose the hypocrisy of its foreign policies.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:59 pm
Just out of curiosity, by what right does the US government decide it's citizens cannot travel to any country they please?

I can see the government saying, "If you go there and you get into trouble we won't do squat for you because we have no relations with them". That I can understand.

But I am not certain how the US government can say you can't go to any other country you please and come back.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:00 pm
Re: Cindy Sheehan is in Cuba. Really?
squinney wrote:
I haven't read anything, just heard on CNN this morning that Cindy Shaeehan is in Cuba visiting/protesting Guantanimo or something.

I didn't realize that was allowed. I mean, I didn't even think US citizens were allwed to travel to Cuba. Is Gitmo different since it's occupied by the US, or is travel to Cuba not restricted?

Can one holiday there and come back without any trouble as long as there's no contraband in the luggage?

An American can travel to Cuba via Mexico, or in Mizzz Sheehans case, from her beloved Venezuela blessed by Hugo.
Americans aren't allowed to tavel to Cuba directly from the US.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:12 pm
Re: Cindy Sheehan is in Cuba. Really?
squinney wrote:
I mean, I didn't even think US citizens were allowed to travel to Cuba.

They're not really supposed to be doing it, but the airport in Toronto regularly sees lots of U.S. tourists heading for Cuba.

On the flip side, Trannians head to Buffalo to catch cheap flights throughout the U.S. and to Europe.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:21 pm
LSM wrote:
An American can travel to Cuba via Mexico, or in Mizzz Sheehans case, from her beloved Venezuela blessed by Hugo.

That wins the award for the dumbest post in the history of A2K.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:21 pm
<simile>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:38 pm
I've no developed opinion. I've a friend who has been to cuba at least once to bring condoms, and that seems in memory quite long ago. I didn't pay that much attention to the detail. I'm quite the lefty but am not a particular fan of Cindy's activities as such.

I know at least one good story from these later years in Cuba, probably an article on my old computer about a old sorta guy starting up a farmer's market that was - attention - fractionally capitalistic. Whatever article that was, the idea was interesting in itself, and good luck to him.

I'm no Castro fan. Still, I figure that if and when he or bro's regime collapses, nothin' good will happen.

It is the people there, who stayed through it, who should be listened to.
They will be dismissed for the views of the fleet of foot.

I can imagine compromise - have a couple of freinds whose families owned important properties in Vienna and in Talinn, and fled, and even now have emotional attachment.

But, hey, I just project overrun... which of course only breeds dire hostility.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:50 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargo_against_Cuba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba-United_States_relations
0 Replies