So What Do You Think Of This

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:09 am
I've made a mental note of A2Kers that I think will be hell bent for leather in favor of this..... but I'm interested in hearing everyones feelings and opinions.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2535310,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 724 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Zippo

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:03 pm
Basically, Israel is trying to blackmail the US into attacking Iran first by threatening to go nuclear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:15 pm
Put me in the negative column.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 03:24 pm
Any lunacy is on the table, in the Bush era.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:04 pm
CNN this morning said that Israel is denying that the info came from them, and said that according to Israel, it's actually coming from our WH as a scare tactic for Iran to shape up.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:08 pm
I doubt that the report is anything but imaginative. The Israeli's aren't exactly known for security leaks and breaches. They may indeed have contingency plans, but who doesn't? They are almost certainly capable, but the approach and recovery of the attacking forces would be difficult, with success only moderately possible.

On the other hand the Israeli's also have a reputation for not standing around sucking their thumbs when they perceive a threat to their national security. They can be very audacious, and that is often a plus in planning military operations. If the Israeli's decide to make a raid on Iran, I expect they will do it and the world be damned. Such a raid would be calculated for maximum surprise, and would be extremely tightly held by only a very small number of high officials.

Whether the Israeli's should, or should not, attack the Iranian facilities is moot, and the outcome might be either beneficial or a disaster. Just the sort of uncertainty that argues against rash behavior. Israel isn't run by stupid people, so their decision will be considered carefully. And, BTW. I rather suspect they won't be checking with the UN or even Washington before making their decision. They may inform Washington shortly in advance of any attack, or they may just do it.

Neither do I believe that Washington is the source of this story.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 04:13 pm
Asherman - That's why the statement that it is coming from our White House made more sense to me. Israel does intelligence the way I wish we did.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:20 pm
squinney wrote:
Asherman - That's why the statement that it is coming from our White House made more sense to me. Israel does intelligence the way I wish we did.

Shocked

I have to say, my jaw hit the floor when I read that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:27 pm
As long as we are talking of potential nuclear strikes, what is happening in Afghanistan?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:28 pm
<simile>
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:34 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
As long as we are talking of potential nuclear strikes, what is happening in Afghanistan?

When I left Afghanistan in Oct. the NATO peace keeping forces had taken over in the south. They did this on Aug 1st in Kandahar and we left Kandahar at the end of Aug. Last I heard they were doing ok but not as well as the US forces had been doing. As for the North, I think it is still primarly run by the US. That is the story for when I left in Oct.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 09:59 am
Re: So What Do You Think Of This
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I've made a mental note of A2Kers that I think will be hell bent for leather in favor of this..... but I'm interested in hearing everyones feelings and opinions.....

Wonder if that's why Bush replaced an army general with a navy admiral? Navy will protect oil facilities and pipelines with ships and plans.

BBB
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:25 am
Re: So What Do You Think Of This
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Wonder if that's why Bush replaced an army general with a navy admiral? Navy will protect oil facilities and pipelines with ships and plans.

BBB

"ships and plans?"
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:48 am
[gasp] A spelling error?! How cogent and germane...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:55 am
BBB
Funny how my typo makes sense. If we had more plans and not just planes, Iraq might have turned out differently.

BBB
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:14 am
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:34 am Post: 1868137 -
An Israeli air strike will be what takes out the nuclear facilities...............................?

Of course a low level nuclear strike puts a whole new twist on this...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 01:16 pm
Paul Erdman's Crash of '79 coming true in a roundabout way?
0 Replies