Is there any single food so perfect as a MANGO?

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:44 pm
Avocado-liking and mango-liking go hand in hand, I think. Very similar texture when ripe. Mangoes a bit smoother yet.

Thinkzinc, I've had some fibrous ones too -- yuck. Not my thing. I just got some little ugly ones that are just fabulous once you open them up. I usually get about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inches per mango cheek (the side you slice off before gridding it up) on a big one before hitting fiber, and I got 1/2 inch off of these little ones since they had hardly any fiber, even though they were so much smaller.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:45 pm
I hope Gautam finds this -- he's talked before about mangoes and how to properly enjoy them. Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:47 pm
Hey there, TZ!

sozobe ~ nope, the texture of custard doesn't bother me ~ have been eating that since I was a wee one.

Of the three different times I've tried mango, it was super smooth, smooth with a bit of grain to it or very hard ~ and I wasn't crazy about the taste of each one.

Which makes me think that I've not been exposed to 'true' mango. Because I love kiwi ~ even with the skin. I love all types of melons. I just need someone to show me the right type of mango, I think. For those of you who are familiar with my friend, Chef Jon.....I think I will have to drag him to the grocery store for a lesson.

I promise, I'll do it! I hate missing out on lovely things to eat!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:51 pm
Oh goody! A possible mango convert! Very Happy

I wonder if the first one was overripe? If so, I think you may well love one that is ripe enough to be smooth but not so ripe that the flavor changes. Grab that Chef Jon and find out!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:54 pm
Jon and I are supposed to go fishing this week ~ I will take him on a detour to the grocery store. Will let you know.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:55 pm
Having a chef friend sounds very useful! Good luck, Rae!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:57 pm
He happens to be very handsome, too.....I'd eat just about anything he prepared.....ohmy..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:01 pm
Lol! Sounds like you will have a lot of fun on the search to the perfect mango Wink
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:03 pm
I just want to taste mango in its best form.

I swear.

That's all.

:wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:04 pm
msolga - telling me a food is messy is NOT a selling point. One of the reasons I particularly like cherries is that they're so tidy. Hold the stem, pop in the cherry, pop out the pit. Best eaten outdoors, of course.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:05 pm
Lol! Well, let us know how you get on with Jon, I mean mangoes... Smile We want a full report Wink
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
I'm with you, ehbeth! Messy is alright sometimes ~ with barbqued ribs, for instance......fruit just doesn't play into this picture for me!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:06 pm
Do the mango cheek thing. (Second pic in original post.) Tidy as can be!

OK, OK, I'll stop proselytizing. Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:07 pm
Oh this reminds me though Trader Joe's has this new thing I haven't seen before -- long-stem strawberries. Wonderful!! The sozlet calls them strawberry popsicles. Nice sturdy stems, about 3 inches long, hold 'em by that and nibble away.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
sozlet obviously has very good tastes!

Mmmmmmm.....strawberries..... Very Happy
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:39 pm
I don't care for mangoes, per se, but mango BBQ sauce slathered over pork or beef ribs, that's another story. Yum, yum!
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:33 pm
they just ran right over the Perfect Tofu, huh C.I.??

Well--- maybe it's cos they just don't KNOW.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 04:47 pm
Tofu's lovely but it's an end product is what I was getting at. You can pick soybeans (or mangos or strawberries...) off the vine, but not tofu.

I do like it, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:08 pm
cherries.
<<sigh>>
still the best when you can find the slightly tart, smallish ones or the pale, translucent yellow ones

mmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:11 pm
Oh, yummy!! A neighbor had a cherry tree when I was growing up and I've never had cherries so delicious since.
0 Replies