Is there any single food so perfect as a MANGO?

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:51 pm
thing with strawberries and avo -oops - AVOCADOES is that they have a sharp ripeness spike that doesn't last very long. Maybe that makes them more precious.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:59 pm
True, littlek, imported strawberries are most always a disappointment, but locally grown ones, fresh from the field to the shop in a day, well... *Homer Simpson-esque dripping of saliva from mouth*
I have some ripening in the garden right now as well Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:04 pm
Fresh, ripe lichees! Oh, delirium! Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:06 pm
Also newly-ripened fresh peas ... picked & eaten in the garden!
Bliss! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:07 pm
nimh, avocadoes are a close second for me, too. Perfectly ripe ones are lovely. Spread on good crusty bread with lemon juice... mmmm.

thinkzinc, what a beaut of a strawberry! I agree that they can be just luscious.

Seal, just keep those instructions out of Mrs. SealPoet's line of vision when she's mad...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:11 pm
Oh, peas! Yes, peas can be great. Lychees I've never had fresh.

There was an article in the New Yorker a while back about a guy who goes around finding strange fruits and convincing grocers in the US to sell him. He's the one who found this fuzzy little green thing called a Chinese Gooseberry and decided to call it a "kiwi". Very Happy (Seriously!)

Anyway, he said something about... peaches?... to the effect that people who only eat the supermarket version, never fresh, are miserably deprived. I think there are many fruits/ veggies that are just fine in the supermarket version, but divine freshly picked.

Mango seems to travel well...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:15 pm
I love our local street markets...

mangoes, yes, but I also like papayas from time to time. Perhaps with a little sliver of cantalope, and some sliced ripe banana. Well, me, I'd pour some rum over that. Mangoes are good because they are basically untidy, you get your cheeks mangoey when you just eat one...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:16 pm
Thare is a fruit called mangosteen? hmmm, wait... yeah, mandosteen from Hawaii - had anyone here had that fruit?

http://agrolink.moa.my/comoditi/manggis/manggis.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:17 pm
And what about the first beautiful ripened tomato of the season, picked & eaten warm (coz you couldn't wait!) in your very own vegie patch. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:17 pm
Strawberries. That's it. That's all.

I've been having a few out of the garden each day. Straight up.

Bought a couple of pounds of them today. I'll do them up with sugar and brandy.

The ones from the garden, or the woods, are still better.

I don't think anything smells better than a perfectly ripe strawberry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
I liked mangoes in a general way before I moved to L.A. but that's where I became a convert. Learned how to divvy them up in the manner shown in the second picture, making nice little chunks. Not messy 'tall (except when you get juice on your fingers, oh and when you are all done with the chunks and go for what mango still clings to the -- pit?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:22 pm
I worked for a Moroccan man who would cut a hole in the top of the mango and after rolling and battering the fruit. He'd squeeze out the contents and then, maybe, peel it open to clean out the rest.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:22 pm
I love all kinds of fruit ~ except mango. Have tasted it somewhat ripe, ripe and over-ripe ~ just don't like it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:23 pm
My housemate likes mango too, but she has an allergic reaction to it if she eats it. She gets blisters akin to the type you'd get from poison ivy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:31 pm
Oh no! That's no fun.

Yep to tomatoes, too. Real homegrown tomatoes... YUM.

Rae, too bad. I wonder if the mangoes you tried were really ripe -- took me a while to figure that out. Underripe and overripe are yucky. But could well be that they were perfect and just not to your taste.

"Rolling and battering?" Having a hard time picturing this. Cooking it, you mean?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:35 pm
Honestly, sozobe ~ I think it was the texture. I'd be willing to try it again ~ if I had an expert near-by to tell me it was perfect to eat!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:37 pm
Was the texture verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry smooth? Like custard, almost? That's a good 'un.

(I useta HATE custard, though, so understand that it's off-putting for some.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:37 pm
I'm with Rae. I just don't get mangoes. Hamburger and Mrs. Hamburger love them. Then again, I've only liked avocadoes for the last 4 or 5 years. Might be a texture thing, as Rae suggests.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:39 pm
Very smooth mango sounds nice! Although I love the flavour, the mangoes imported here are very fibrous, get caught in the teeth!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:42 pm
ehBeth

It's the slushiness & messines of wrestling with them as you eat! So much fun getting into such a sticky, soggy mess! Laughing
And the sweetness & the aroma!
Ah, heaven! Very Happy
0 Replies