on this book of moroni

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:41 am
I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm), with my hand on my coffee mug, the newspaper, TV remote or briefcase handle, that by the time the Super Bowl rolls around I will not remember why Keith Ellison is famous, if I even knew at all.

For the record, you know of Ellison, a Democratic freshman congressman from Minnesota and Muslim convert, because in December he announced his intentions to use the Quran in the ceremonial swearing-in photo opportunity and to hold it in his left hand during the official swearing in with the other 434 representatives and 33 senators.

Outrage ensued. Accusations flew. Mud was slung. Utah wasn't spared, as evidenced by the Dec. 6 press briefing with White House press secretary Tony Snow.

"Would he support the Book of Mormon being used to swear in LDS members of Congress if they ever ask for that?" a reporter queried about the president, according to the transcript.

Talk continued, including suggestions that an LDS senator had asked to use the Book of Mormon during his oath of office and had been allowed.

The confusion lies with Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Oregon, who in 1997 carried a combination of the Bible and Book of Mormon during his swearing-in, according to USA Today. But there was no laying his hand on it.

It was much ado about nothing for a number of reasons. In the first place, the official swearing-in takes place when all of the representatives and senators stand and repeat the oath at one time with nothing more than their right hands raised. The ceremonial one is simply a photo opportunity.

None of Utah's federal delegation, all of whom identify with the LDS faith, has ever used a Book of Mormon while taking the oath of office. Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch uses the Bible on hand for the ceremony. Republican Sen. Bob Bennett uses a family Bible. Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson doesn't have a ceremonial photo op. Republican Rep. Rob Bishop used a Bible during his ceremonial swearing-in the first time but hasn't bothered with it since, and he doesn't use any book during the actual swearing in. Republican Rep. Chris Cannon has never even bothered with the ceremonial swearing-in on any kind of book.

"The issue has never come up," Joe Hunter, Cannon's chief of staff, said.

Ditto for the LDS Church. It has a few members in the upper echelons of the national government as well as hundreds in state and local governments, but has never addressed the issue, spokesman Scott Trotter said. If a member wants to swear on the Book of Mormon, the church won't endorse or discourage it.

"Since we embrace the Bible, we don't see this as an issue," he said.

On Thursday Ellison officially became the first Muslim serving in Congress when he took the oath of office.

Ellison, characterizing his faith as mainstream American, tried to minimize the media hype over Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., who'd criticized him about his swearing-in desire, and the Quran, the Associated Press reported.

He challenged an Arab journalist's contention that Americans dislike Muslims and struck a matter-of-fact tone in describing his feelings about making history by swearing on the Quran, the AP reported.

"I haven't really thought about the historical significance of it," he told the AP. "I'm a Muslim. It's my faith."

Photos of the ceremonial oath show Kim Ellison, Ellison's wife, holding a copy of the Quran formerly owned by Thomas Jefferson, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Keith Ellison smile broadly at each other. The world kept turning.

Oath of office facts

John Quincy Adams swore his presidential oath on a book of law.

Theodore Roosevelt didn't use a book at all.

Franklin Pierce and Herbert Hoover both chose to affirm instead of swear.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 13
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 04:30 am
Quote:
"I haven't really thought about the historical significance of it," he told the AP. "I'm a Muslim. It's my faith."

I never thought about the historical significance of it either, until I just read this, and now my question is what does his faith have to do with fulfilling the responsibilities of his job in an industry in which church (or faith) is supposed to be kept specifically and totally separate?

Quote:

As the chief executive and law enforcer of the country - this seems to be the most appropriate and make the most sense.

I can't remember exactly why, but in my very devout Christian household, using the holy Bible as something to swear to something upon as in, "I swear on the Bible, "was seen as a no-no. I think it was seen as trivializing it (the Bible) by taking something of great spiritual significance and rendering it "less than" by using it for something "of the world".

We were also never supposed to say, "I swear to God".

And especially in the game of politics - how likely is the person to really live up to what he has sworn (on his or her holy book, whatever it is) to uphold?

Did Bush swear on the Bible at his inauguration? I wonder how bombing people into submission fits in with his whole concept of the new testament Christianity upon which he swore (if he did)?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:17 pm
I imagine that Bush didn't ahve anymore trouble with bombing after his swearing on the Bible than Clinton did after he swore on the Bible.
I don't know why people feel a need to swear on anything, besides, most politicians have their fingers crossed while taking an oath or swearing on any religious book.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 01:28 pm
dys, cj will never forget. Laughing
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
Quote:
I don't know why people feel a need to swear on anything,

Me neither- either you're a liar or you're not.
(I meant to say, either you're honest or you're not, but my true beliefs subconsciously took over - I think they're all pretty much liars- I have little faith in any of them)
Quote:
besides, most politicians have their fingers crossed while taking an oath or swearing on any religious book.

That makes it all okay then.

Quote:
I imagine that Bush didn't ahve anymore trouble with bombing after his swearing on the Bible than Clinton did after he swore on the Bible.

So are you saying you believe that Bush and Clinton are of similar caliber in terms or moral fortitude and integrity?

LSM, I don't hold integrity to be the stronghold of any particular political party- in my mind it's not a virtue that respects or depends upon partisanship.
But I do have to say that if I had to rely on someone's intellect and judgement in almost any situation into which I was trusting someone to lead me, I'd choose Bill Clinton over George Bush.
(Except marriage, in terms of faithfulness. But even in marriage, in terms of almost any other aspect aside from faithfulness- I'd still choose Bill Clinton- he's just more my type - again, in terms of trusting in or depending on someone's judgement or intellect- nothing else - just wanted to make that clear...Laughing ).
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:17 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why people feel a need to swear on anything,

Me neither- either you're a liar or you're not.
(I meant to say, either you're honest or you're not, but my true beliefs subconsciously took over - I think they're all pretty much liars- I have little faith in any of them)
Quote:
besides, most politicians have their fingers crossed while taking an oath or swearing on any religious book.

That makes it all okay then.

Quote:

So are you saying you believe that Bush and Clinton are of similar caliber in terms or moral fortitude and integrity?

LSM, I don't hold integrity to be the stronghold of any particular political party- in my mind it's not a virtue that respects or depends upon partisanship.
But I do have to say that if I had to rely on someone's intellect and judgement in almost any situation into which I was trusting someone to lead me, I'd choose Bill Clinton over George Bush.
(Except marriage, in terms of faithfulness. But even in marriage, in terms of almost any other aspect aside from faithfulness- I'd still choose Bill Clinton- he's just more my type - again, in terms of trusting in or depending on someone's judgement or intellect- nothing else - just wanted to make that clear...Laughing ).

So that makes it all ok???????????
I can't name one politician that i trust, not a single one, their prime objective is to keep their butt fully seated in ther little fifedoms of power by any means necessary
If you couldn't trust BC in a marriage, how could you trust him to be faithful to his country?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:30 pm
They could swear on a box of Crackerjacks with as much effect as a Bible or Book of Mormon. I don't see a need for controversy here.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 12:35 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They could swear on a box of Crackerjacks with as much effect as a Bible or Book of Mormon. I don't see a need for controversy here.

Not really Edgar. Not if they're really and truly believers. I understand that the Bible or the Book of Mormon might hold no more significance than a box of crackerjacks for some people, but for others it does. I guess the secular equivalent for a non-believer would be something like saying, "I swear on my mother's grave" or "I swear on my daughter's life". Either one is a situation after which someone who had respect for their mother's grave or their daughter's life would feel uncomfortable lying.

But for most of these guys it's all just a bunch of words- and some of them probably would sell their soul or their daughter's life for this chance at power (although I don't think BC or GB would- they seem to be dedicated and loving fathers if nothing else-maybe someone else's daughter's life though).

I think the issue here is the separation of church and state. This custom pretty much betrays the fact that our government doesn't take it seriously.

LSM- I was being sarcastic when I said, "So that makes it all okay then". Crossing your fingers like a five year old child....and then feeling like it's okay to go back on your word.
I agree with your assessment of politicians- I'm just an equal opportunity cynic in terms of politicians. I don't care what side of the divide they're on.
Marriage involves a whole different set of urges and circumstances than running a country LSM. I think BC had better instincts for running a country- and was equipped with the more appropriate set of skills and strengths for the job-that's all I'm saying.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:02 pm
aidan wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Not really Edgar. Not if they're really and truly believers. I understand that the Bible or the Book of Mormon might hold no more significance than a box of crackerjacks for some people, but for others it does. I guess the secular equivalent for a non-believer would be something like saying, "I swear on my mother's grave" or "I swear on my daughter's life". Either one is a situation after which someone who had respect for their mother's grave or their daughter's life would feel uncomfortable lying.

But for most of these guys it's all just a bunch of words- and some of them probably would sell their soul or their daughter's life for this chance at power (although I don't think BC or GB would- they seem to be dedicated and loving fathers if nothing else-maybe someone else's daughter's life though).

I think the issue here is the separation of church and state. This custom pretty much betrays the fact that our government doesn't take it seriously.

LSM- I was being sarcastic when I said, "So that makes it all okay then". Crossing your fingers like a five year old child....and then feeling like it's okay to go back on your word.
I agree with your assessment of politicians- I'm just an equal opportunity cynic in terms of politicians. I don't care what side of the divide they're on.
Marriage involves a whole different set of urges and circumstances than running a country LSM. I think BC had better instincts for running a country- and was equipped with the more appropriate set of skills and strengths for the job-that's all I'm saying.

I agree that a set of urges & circumstances are needed to run a country & maybe I expect too much from a president. I just can't imagine a person that powerful not being able to resist urges of a base nature. I am of the belief that more than silverware seperates us from the animals. :wink:
I voted for Bush twice as Tx Gov & twice for president. He is not the same person I voted for & the change came after the re-election to the presidency, well, the biggest change. It's one of those, if I knew then what i know now. Oh well, I can't help but wonder what kind of doo-doo we'd be in if Kerry had been elected.
You're right, they all suck.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:52 pm
Okay, LSM since the swearing in subject has seemed to have pretty much died, I'd like to respond to a couple of your points. If anyone objects - sorry.
I get what you're saying about the silverware, but I've decided that I just can't worry who other people have sex with. There are way too many other things that are way more important- especially when that person is running a country.

That's not to say I didn't think BC was Stupid (with a capital S) for doing what he did (or taking what he got) with/from Monica Lewinsky. And I think in terms of how he used her- that was just wrong and bad on so many different levels- and I lost respect for him as a man and a person, but at the end of the day, despite all of that, I have to admit I think he was good for our country. I think he left it better than he found it. I really do believe that.
And I don't believe that to be true about George Bush.

In other words, maybe BC doesn't have what it takes to be a faithful husband, but was equipped for the job of president whereas George seems able to be a good and faithful husband, but is woefully lacking in the crucial characteristics it takes to perform his presidentital duties to any level of competence. Not to be cruel, but he's an embarrassement to our country.
So I'd rather have someone who is good at being a president and bad at being a husband for my president than someone who is good at being a husband and bad at being a president.

In terms of how things would have gone had Kerry won the election, I wasn't all that impressed with or excited about him until his concession speech. (I wanted Howard Dean- I was so upset when he self-destructed, except I think that was blown way out of proportion)
When I listened to Kerry's speech, I really did feel a sense of loss for what might have been. So why do you automatically assume it wouldn't have been better with Kerry? Simply because he's a Democrat? And how do you think it could have been any worse than it's turned out?
I'd ask the same question in terms of Gore.
(I do have to admit though that GB's first term was a nightmare and would have tested just about anyone's levels of performance and limitations).
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 10:02 pm
aidan wrote:
Okay, LSM since the swearing in subject has seemed to have pretty much died, I'd like to respond to a couple of your points. If anyone objects - sorry.
I get what you're saying about the silverware, but I've decided that I just can't worry who other people have sex with. There are way too many other things that are way more important- especially when that person is running a country.

That's not to say I didn't think BC was Stupid (with a capital S) for doing what he did (or taking what he got) with/from Monica Lewinsky. And I think in terms of how he used her- that was just wrong and bad on so many different levels- and I lost respect for him as a man and a person, but at the end of the day, despite all of that, I have to admit I think he was good for our country. I think he left it better than he found it. I really do believe that.
And I don't believe that to be true about George Bush.

In other words, maybe BC doesn't have what it takes to be a faithful husband, but was equipped for the job of president whereas George seems able to be a good and faithful husband, but is woefully lacking in the crucial characteristics it takes to perform his presidentital duties to any level of competence. Not to be cruel, but he's an embarrassement to our country.
So I'd rather have someone who is good at being a president and bad at being a husband for my president than someone who is good at being a husband and bad at being a president.

In terms of how things would have gone had Kerry won the election, I wasn't all that impressed with or excited about him until his concession speech. (I wanted Howard Dean- I was so upset when he self-destructed, except I think that was blown way out of proportion)
When I listened to Kerry's speech, I really did feel a sense of loss for what might have been. So why do you automatically assume it wouldn't have been better with Kerry? Simply because he's a Democrat? And how do you think it could have been any worse than it's turned out?
I'd ask the same question in terms of Gore.
(I do have to admit though that GB's first term was a nightmare and would have tested just about anyone's levels of performance and limitations).

I'll take simply because he's a democrat first. Political parties mean noting to me & I'm not a member of one, in Tx we do not have to register with a party to vote. I vote conservative & Kerry sure isn't conservative. Plus, I just don't like him as a person, from what I've seen. He's haughty, aloof, & basically a snob, IMO.
Now for BC, it wasn't the sex with Monica, or whatever BC wanted to call it, it was his perjury, obstruction of justice, & the fact that he did try to deny another US citizen (Paula Jones) her civil rights. I wish when the Monica stoery first broke that BC would've just said, that is none of your business & let it go, because while I thought it was tawdry & legally sexual harrassment, had he not lied about it we wouldn't have gone through that whole nasty mess. There's the fact that we were attacked 7 times durng his presidency & he did nothing about any of them except the first WTC & all he did then was prick the outer skin, he didn't get to the bottom of it.
I'm not defending Bush, however, he was barely in office (8 months)when we had 911, that was huge, the biggest attack on American soil we've ever had before or since. We've never had anything like it, I don't know how any president would've handeled that. What's happening now with Iraq is up for debate, I wasn't for us going to Iraq, I differed with Bush & most of congress, they gave him the green light because they had the same intel he had, & unless or until it's proven otherwise, that's all we have to go on. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's said that the Dems won Congress back because of Iraq, lets see what they do with it.
I don't think Bush is an embarrassment to the country, i think the people that bad mouth every move Bush makes, & yes, I mean every move, are causing the embarrassment & giving aid to our enemies.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 07:40 am
Quote:
I vote conservative & Kerry sure isn't conservative.

That's what I meant- it's just another way of saying he's a democrat and that's why you automatically assume he'd have had the country in a worse state than Bush does, without applying any other reason as to why you assume that. I didn't ask why you didn't vote for him. I asked if you automatically assumed he'd have messed up because he was a democrat-even if he was a smart democrat. And if so, I was wondering why.
Quote:
Plus, I just don't like him as a person, from what I've seen. He's haughty, aloof, & basically a snob, IMO.

Funny, I had exactly the opposite impression of him as a person. I thought he presented as very thoughtful, caring and warm. But our differences in that respect may be due to the fact that we're used to different types of people.
I lived in New England and though it's true that I didn't find New Englanders to be the most openly effusive and friendly people, what I did find is that they are real.
I have a southern background originally (Texas, as a matter of fact, San Antonio- where are you from?) so I'm also very well acquainted with southern people, and have found that though some (certainly not all- I'd never stereotype in that manner) appear very openly friendly and approachable, it is often a front- something they call "good manners", and something someone like John Kerry or I would call "fake" and would never engage in.
But whatever, what does liking someone (who you've never met- so how can you really know anything about whether you actually like the man or not) have anything to do with selecting the best president?

Quote:
Now for BC, it wasn't the sex with Monica, or whatever BC wanted to call it, it was his perjury, obstruction of justice, & the fact that he did try to deny another US citizen (Paula Jones) her civil rights. I wish when the Monica stoery first broke that BC would've just said, that is none of your business & let it go, because while I thought it was tawdry & legally sexual harrassment, had he not lied about it we wouldn't have gone through that whole nasty mess.

The country went through that mess and all the other messes Ken Starr dredged up because he was determined to crucify Bill Clinton, and if he couldn't get to him, then those around him who were loyal to him.
That guy was on a vendetta.
Quote:
There's the fact that we were attacked 7 times durng his presidency & he did nothing about any of them except the first WTC & all he did then was prick the outer skin, he didn't get to the bottom of it.

Yeah, well, some would call that diplomacy and avoiding out and out war.
Quote:
I'm not defending Bush, however, he was barely in office (8 months)when we had 911, that was huge, the biggest attack on American soil we've ever had before or since. We've never had anything like it, I don't know how any president would've handeled that.

Yep, that's what I said.

Quote:
What's happening now with Iraq is up for debate, I wasn't for us going to Iraq, I differed with Bush & most of congress, they gave him the green light because they had the same intel he had, & unless or until it's proven otherwise, that's all we have to go on.

Oh, I think it's been proven otherwise.

Quote:
Hindsight is always 20/20. It's said that the Dems won Congress back because of Iraq, lets see what they do with it.

I'm waiting with baited breath (and actually a sense of hope for the first time in a while).
Quote:
I don't think Bush is an embarrassment to the country, i think the people that bad mouth every move Bush makes, & yes, I mean every move, are causing the embarrassment & giving aid to our enemies.
[/QUOTE]
Bush does not have the personality type to be president. He's impetuous and not a clear thinker.
I don't care what political party or ideology someone does or doesn't belong to. In order to make a good president, I think a person needs to be a clear and rational thinker, a patient and good listener, and able to take an analytical approach to information that they then synthesize into logical action plans to approach an issue or a problem.
I think it was clear from the beginning that George Bush did not possess these skills or characteristics.
I think both Al Gore and John Kerry exhibited them moreso than George Bush to an extremely obvious extent.
Our country got exactly what it asked for when it elected George Bush. And I will tell you, Americans are the laughing stock of the world because of him. People have attributed George Bush's traits to all Americans now.
They believe if we voted for him, we must either be just like him, or admire him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 11:45 pm
Re: on this book of moroni
dyslexia wrote:
I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm), with my hand on my coffee mug, the newspaper, TV remote or briefcase handle, that by the time the Super Bowl rolls around I will not remember why Keith Ellison is famous, if I even knew at all.

For the record, you know of Ellison, a Democratic freshman congressman from Minnesota and Muslim convert, because in December he announced his intentions to use the Quran in the ceremonial swearing-in photo opportunity and to hold it in his left hand during the official swearing in with the other 434 representatives and 33 senators.

Outrage ensued. Accusations flew. Mud was slung. Utah wasn't spared, as evidenced by the Dec. 6 press briefing with White House press secretary Tony Snow.

"Would he support the Book of Mormon being used to swear in LDS members of Congress if they ever ask for that?" a reporter queried about the president, according to the transcript.

Talk continued, including suggestions that an LDS senator had asked to use the Book of Mormon during his oath of office and had been allowed.

The confusion lies with Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Oregon, who in 1997 carried a combination of the Bible and Book of Mormon during his swearing-in, according to USA Today. But there was no laying his hand on it.

It was much ado about nothing for a number of reasons. In the first place, the official swearing-in takes place when all of the representatives and senators stand and repeat the oath at one time with nothing more than their right hands raised. The ceremonial one is simply a photo opportunity.

None of Utah's federal delegation, all of whom identify with the LDS faith, has ever used a Book of Mormon while taking the oath of office. Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch uses the Bible on hand for the ceremony. Republican Sen. Bob Bennett uses a family Bible. Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson doesn't have a ceremonial photo op. Republican Rep. Rob Bishop used a Bible during his ceremonial swearing-in the first time but hasn't bothered with it since, and he doesn't use any book during the actual swearing in. Republican Rep. Chris Cannon has never even bothered with the ceremonial swearing-in on any kind of book.

"The issue has never come up," Joe Hunter, Cannon's chief of staff, said.

Ditto for the LDS Church. It has a few members in the upper echelons of the national government as well as hundreds in state and local governments, but has never addressed the issue, spokesman Scott Trotter said. If a member wants to swear on the Book of Mormon, the church won't endorse or discourage it.

"Since we embrace the Bible, we don't see this as an issue," he said.

On Thursday Ellison officially became the first Muslim serving in Congress when he took the oath of office.

Ellison, characterizing his faith as mainstream American, tried to minimize the media hype over Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., who'd criticized him about his swearing-in desire, and the Quran, the Associated Press reported.

He challenged an Arab journalist's contention that Americans dislike Muslims and struck a matter-of-fact tone in describing his feelings about making history by swearing on the Quran, the AP reported.

Photos of the ceremonial oath show Kim Ellison, Ellison's wife, holding a copy of the Quran formerly owned by Thomas Jefferson, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Keith Ellison smile broadly at each other. The world kept turning.

Oath of office facts

Theodore Roosevelt didn't use a book at all.

Franklin Pierce and Herbert Hoover both chose to affirm instead of swear.

The opposition to Ellison's swearing his oath of office on the Koran was never more than a fringe position. To launch an argument on it is specious at best.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:07 am
Interesting that you would call US Congressmen, Hannity, and several of the conservative members of A2K the "fringe", Finn.
0 Replies