Seperation of Muslims & State

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:09 pm
In Minneapolis the Muslim taxi drivers are refusing to take passengers carrying alcoholic beverages, opened or closed, also passengers with dogs, yes, that includes seeing eye dogs as well. Their reason is that alcohol is against their religion & dog saliva is unclean. The Minneapolis airport has a legal fight with the taxi drivers after having tried to settle the dispute out of court.
Fox News
I don't believe that any other religion would've gotten by with this, they would've been fired immediately, & rightfully so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,232 • Replies: 83
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:15 pm
I believe they are independent drivers and as such can't really be fired (though I'm not really sure). I would think that they would get tired of losing money and cut the bullshit. We'll see how the dispute turns out.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 06:26 pm
Airport Check-in: Fare refusals in Minnesota
Updated 9/18/2006 11:04 AM ET

By Roger Yu, USA TODAY
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL
Changes in taxis, Metro Transit

Minneapolis-St. Paul is concerned that its taxi service is deteriorating. Citing their religious beliefs, some Muslim taxi drivers from Somalia are refusing to transport customers carrying or suspected of carrying alcohol. It started with one driver a few years ago, but the average number of fare refusals has grown to about three a day, says airport spokesman Patrick Hogan. "Travelers often feel surprised and insulted," he says. "Sometimes, several drivers in a row refuse carriage."

Taxi drivers and officials from the airport, taxi companies and the Muslim American Society are discussing how to address the issue. Partly out of concern that taxi drivers might be citing religion to avoid short-distance fares, the airport is now forcing drivers who refuse a fare to go to the end of the line for waiting taxis. It is not a popular decision among drivers, Hogan says.

The airport is expected to propose today that drivers who wish to avoid alcohol-toting passengers change the light on their car roofs, possibly to a different color. Hogan says the move will help let airport employees and customers know which taxis serve alcohol-carrying passengers. Drivers refusing a fare won't have to go to the end of the line. "Airport authorities are not in the business of interpreting sacred texts or dictating anyone's religious choices. ... Our goal is simply to ensure travelers at (the airport) are well served."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2006-09-17-airport-check-in-usat_x.htm
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:22 pm
Re: Seperation of Muslims & State
LoneStarMadam wrote:
In Minneapolis the Muslim taxi drivers are refusing to take passengers carrying alcoholic beverages, opened or closed, also passengers with dogs, yes, that includes seeing eye dogs as well. Their reason is that alcohol is against their religion & dog saliva is unclean. The Minneapolis airport has a legal fight with the taxi drivers after having tried to settle the dispute out of court.
Fox News
I don't believe that any other religion would've gotten by with this, they would've been fired immediately, & rightfully so.

Yet I'm not allowed to adopt a child from a Catholic orphanage because I am not Christian........it looks like some religions get away with more than you think.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 08:58 pm
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News

Yet I'm not allowed to adopt a child from a Catholic orphanage because I am not Christian........it looks like some religions get away with more than you think.

Are taxis a private concern? Are they not to serve the public at large? I believe there's more to adopting a child that crawling into a taxi. Have you tried other adoption agencies?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:12 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News

Are taxis a private concern? Are they not to serve the public at large? I believe there's more to adopting a child that crawling into a taxi. Have you tried other adoption agencies?

I sure have. Have you tried to get a different taxi?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:27 pm
Quote:
the airport is now forcing drivers who refuse a fare to go to the end of the line for waiting taxis. It is not a popular decision among drivers, Hogan says.

I would even go one better and have someone with a bottle of whiskey and package of bacon in one hand and a dog in the other waiting to board them the next time they get to the front of the line.

Quote:
The airport is expected to propose today that drivers who wish to avoid alcohol-toting passengers change the light on their car roofs, possibly to a different color. Hogan says the move will help let airport employees and customers know which taxis serve alcohol-carrying passengers. Drivers refusing a fare won't have to go to the end of the line. "Airport authorities are not in the business of interpreting sacred texts or dictating anyone's religious choices. ... Our goal is simply to ensure travelers at (the airport) are well served."

That would be an excessive and unnecessary accommodation IMO. Businesses should not be required to allow irrational religious notions of their employees to negatively affect their customers or business. The same principle should apply to pharmacists that refuse to dispense birth control meds. If you cannot separate your religion from work then it is up to you to find compatible employment.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 09:37 pm
mesquite wrote:
Quote:
the airport is now forcing drivers who refuse a fare to go to the end of the line for waiting taxis. It is not a popular decision among drivers, Hogan says.

I would even go one better and have someone with a bottle of whiskey and package of bacon in one hand and a dog in the other waiting to board them the next time they get to the front of the line.

Quote:

That would be an excessive and unnecessary accommodation IMO. Businesses should not be required to allow irrational religious notions of their employees to negatively affect their customers or business. The same principle should apply to pharmacists that refuse to dispense birth control meds. If you cannot separate your religion from work then it is up to you to find compatible employment.

I agree with you. Religion should be kept out of all parts of our lives.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:12 pm
I have to admit that there is something compelling about the idea of holding entire religions accountable for irrational things that individual members do. I say we give it a try.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:16 pm
Shapeless wrote:
I have to admit that there is something compelling about the idea of holding entire religions accountable for irrational things that individual members do. I say we give it a try.

Very good point.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:29 pm
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News

& you were turned down at other adoption agencies?
I don't ride in taxis, but even if I did, why should I have to look for another taxi to accomodate someones religious beliefs? What's next, a Jewish taxi driver refusing a fare to someone with a cross? Or maybe a Christian taxi driver refusing to allow a gay couple into the taxi because that is against his/her religion? See where this can go? Of course i realize that it isn't PC to deny a muslim any accomodation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:34 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
It started with one driver a few years ago, but the average number of fare refusals has grown to about three a day, says airport spokesman Patrick Hogan. [..] "Sometimes, several drivers in a row refuse carriage."

Hhmmm... this doesnt add up. Its an airport, and on average, you have three fare refusals a day - thats like, one out of how many thousand fares? And yet the same guy claims that "sometimes several drivers in a row refuse carriage." One of the two things cant be right.

maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

<stifled guffaw>
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:38 pm
This seems similar to the objections of Christians to dispense contraceptives at pharmacies.

I also heard of a landlord who refused to rent their apartment to a homosexual couple.

I feel very torn by all of these cases... balancing religious beliefs of employees and owners with the needs of pharmacy customers and renters.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:43 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What's next, a Jewish taxi driver refusing a fare to someone with a cross? Or maybe a Christian taxi driver refusing to allow a gay couple into the taxi because that is against his/her religion? See where this can go? Of course i realize that it isn't PC to deny a muslim any accomodation.

Hmmm... would lambasting a Christian taxi driver for refusing to allow a gay couple in be PC, or un-PC?

Let me guess - lambasting a Christian driver for refusing people a ride on religious reasons would be liberal PC; but lambasting a Muslim driver for refusing people a ride on religious reasons would be commonsensically un-PC.

Whats all this with "Separation of Muslims & State" in the thread title, anyway? Private taxi drivers now represent the state?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 10:52 pm
Personally, I'm looking forward to atheists refusing to drive costumed nuns or priests in their taxi cabs.

Wasn't too long ago that people refused to give a person a ride in a taxi if their hair was too long or their skin too dark or if they had military buzz cuts.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:17 pm
nimh wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
What's next, a Jewish taxi driver refusing a fare to someone with a cross? Or maybe a Christian taxi driver refusing to allow a gay couple into the taxi because that is against his/her religion? See where this can go? Of course i realize that it isn't PC to deny a muslim any accomodation.

Hmmm... would lambasting a Christian taxi driver for refusing to allow a gay couple in be PC, or un-PC?

Let me guess - lambasting a Christian driver for refusing people a ride on religious reasons would be liberal PC; but lambasting a Muslim driver for refusing people a ride on religious reasons would be commonsensically un-PC.

Whats all this with "Separation of Muslims & State" in the thread title, anyway? Private taxi drivers now represent the state?

A Christian taxi driver wouldn't get away with it, the ACLU would be on him/her like stink on poop.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:20 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Personally, I'm looking forward to atheists refusing to drive costumed nuns or priests in their taxi cabs.

Wasn't too long ago that people refused to give a person a ride in a taxi if their hair was too long or their skin too dark or if they had military buzz cuts.

Wasn't too long ago ago being the operative term.
I just noticed your signature LSM quoting Larry The Cable Guy, I don't know if you appreciated that line or not, but I'm flattered that you would use that quote....I think.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2007 11:58 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

I just noticed your signature LSM quoting Larry The Cable Guy, I don't know if you appreciated that line or not, but I'm flattered that you would use that quote....I think.

I just noticed you ignored the point about christian pharmacists.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 12:17 am
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

As you did about my question of were you turned down at other adoption agencies
The reason I ignored the question was because the Christian pharmacists didn't get by with that either, but you knew that, just a little trick you tried to avert the topic by you.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 12:44 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
maporsche wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

As you did about my question of were you turned down at other adoption agencies
The reason I ignored the question was because the Christian pharmacists didn't get by with that either, but you knew that, just a little trick you tried to avert the topic by you.

Sorry, I didn't know my personal business was really relevant to this topic. But yes, I was turned down at one other orphanage, also Catholic. This was about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't looked at another one since. Do you have any suggestions to non-religious affiliated orphanages?

And, the reason that I'm telling you this was due to being non-religious is because that is precisely what I was told.

Here is an interesting article on Religion's influence in adoption practices.
0 Replies