Do You Think There Will Be A Troop Surge

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:17 pm
no the chance of a sroop turge is practically zero.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 03:25 pm
Re: Do You Think There Will Be A Troop Surge
tryingtohelp wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I do... I don't think a dem congress and senate can do anything about it. Bush obviously has no concerns about opinion or his legacy, or the will of the undeniable majority of the country.

If you impeach him, then it's Cheney....even worse.

Oh, I did not know you personally knew President Bush and what he thinks. Next time you see him tell him I said "HI".

because you know him? I dont know any butchers personally but I know bullshit....
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 10:45 pm
Quote:
Do You Think There Will Be A Troop Surge

Yes, and I think it will succeed.

Ms. Pelosi, my elected representative, has nothing to do with this decision, thank God. Anyone who does not think so should probably expand their circle to include others, and listen to other than NPR.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 11:37 pm
like Fox News perhaps?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:45 am
Quote:
Why Hawks Win
By Daniel Kahneman, Jonathan Renshon

Page 1 of 1
January/February 2007
Why are hawks so influential? The answer may lie deep in the human mind. People have dozens of decision-making biases, and almost all favor conflict rather than concession. A look at why the tough guys win more than they should.

foreign policy link

Quote:
National leaders get all sorts of advice in times of tension and conflict. But often the competing counsel can be broken down into two basic categories. On one side are the hawks: They tend to favor coercive action, are more willing to use military force, and are more likely to doubt the value of offering concessions. When they look at adversaries overseas, they often see unremittingly hostile regimes who only understand the language of force. On the other side are the doves, skeptical about the usefulness of force and more inclined to contemplate political solutions. Where hawks see little in their adversaries but hostility, doves often point to subtle openings for dialogue.

As the hawks and doves thrust and parry, one hopes that the decision makers will hear their arguments on the merits and weigh them judiciously before choosing a course of action. Don't count on it. Modern psychology suggests that policymakers come to the debate predisposed to believe their hawkish advisors more than the doves. There are numerous reasons for the burden of persuasion that doves carry, and some of them have nothing to do with politics or strategy. In fact, a bias in favor of hawkish beliefs and preferences is built into the fabric of the human mind.

<giant>

Quote:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:26 am
Patton, writing after he left his post in Hong Kong with the turnover to Chinese control, said that a fundamental difference in philosophy or worldview between himself and the Chinese had been the importance that they gave to "face" as contrasted with a notion/value such as "honor".

I found that an interesting and insightful observation, even if there is something of the eye of beholder in it from Patton.

For individuals who are seriously desirous of power and dominance, "face" is everything. Don't show 'weakness', don't admit error, just continue doing whatever you are doing with a strut and a threat. Blood stains (from someone else) on your shirt isn't a bad thing, it's a very good thing..."I'm a wartime President, steeped in the blood of my inferiors and of all who oppose me....so bring it on".

The chances of Bush and the similarly-motivated people around him behaving in any other way are very close to zero. As DiIulio observed, "everything is about PR presentation" with this white house. That means "face".
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:28 am
yes indeed...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:39 am
I was listening to GOP Rep Lindsay Graham on this Week with George Stephanopolis this morning. He was making an impassioned plea to the effect that no one is talking about what will happen in Iraq if we redeploy or withdraw.

I've always respected Lindsay Graham, but I can't help feeling as if Bushco knows that we don't have enough troops to secure the region, and are merely stalling for time (with the lives of our soldiers) to pass this mess on to the next president.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:03 am
SHUT UP, SACRIFICE AND SURGE: Right Wing Talk Radio Needs To Put Its Money Where Its Big Fat Mouth Is
Question: What do Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the Far Right Lords of Loud have in common?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-young/shut-up-sacrifice-and-su_b_38003.html
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 10:24 am
If all those babies hadn't been aborted 18-25 years ago they'd be eligible to be part of the troop surge the president is planning now. This way he could send more than a trifling 20,000 to be at risk for death or serious injury, perhaps 50,000.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 09:30 pm
The conserative form of birthcontrol. Let then grow to the age of 10 or 20 and send them to some screwed up foreign war to die.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:06 pm
I believe Bush's plan is to keep this war going as long and strong as he can until the next president (who will be a Democrat) takes office. The next president will decrease our presence or pull us out of there entirely, and Bushco can then place the blame on the new administration for "losing the war."

Wait and see if I'm not right.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 11:10 pm
Uh, yeah. Someone just said that a couple of posts back.

Oh, wait. It was me.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:29 am
snood wrote:
I was listening to GOP Rep Lindsay Graham on this Week with George Stephanopolis this morning. He was making an impassioned plea to the effect that no one is talking about what will happen in Iraq if we redeploy or withdraw.

I've always respected Lindsay Graham, but I can't help feeling as if Bushco knows that we don't have enough troops to secure the region, and are merely stalling for time (with the lives of our soldiers) to pass this mess on to the next president.

This quote, snood?

We're sorta on the same track, but not quite. I, too, think Bushco now realizes this is hopeless, but they & their friends are making too much money on it to quit. Plus, these guys never admit they're wrong. They're gonna keep pushing as hard as they can for the next couple of years so they can claim the next administration "lost" the war. It's about saving face.

One thing I will repeat verbatim, though...you are right, it is definitely a "mess."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 02:38 am
Well, whaddya know. I just checked another thread, and Krugman is saying the same thing...these guys never admit they're wrong. He goes further than I do, though. He thinks they're delusional. Me? I don't think their brains work well enough to create delusions.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 12:56 pm
Flash: Full text: Kennedy introduces bill to block Iraq troop escalation... Developing... link
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 01:26 pm
Thanks for the link.
0 Replies