This Is Almost Obscene

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:09 am
Gerald Ford has been dead long enough to have taken a cruise across the Pacific but he's just made it to Mi. I have no problem with a state funeral & the trappings of, but come on, there's already been 4 services with another one today. I don't know who all this is for, they say Ford was a simple man & didn't want nor expect all of this, but, he, Ford, made his funeral plans before he died, he asked Tom Brokaw to speak at the DC service. A simple man? i don't think so.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,373 • Replies: 29
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 12:21 pm
Wasn't he from Michigan? Perhaps there are people there who want to say goodbye to him who couldn't make it to DC?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 01:07 pm
Being the last moderate republican, he probably wanted to drag it out as long as possible knowing the people of the US may have forgotten that there used to be moderate republicans.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Wasn't he from Michigan? Perhaps there are people there who want to say goodbye to him who couldn't make it to DC?

Then why did they have 4 or 5 services? Ford supposedly wanted it kept simple. There was a service in Ca, the couuple in DC, & actually 2 in Mi. Come on, that's ludricious.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:35 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Being the last moderate republican, he probably wanted to drag it out as long as possible knowing the people of the US may have forgotten that there used to be moderate republicans.

Moderate, meaning middle of the road & like An old Texas liberal said, "Thare ain't nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow streak & dead armadillos" Jim Hightower
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:35 pm
Well sure, some people even think his pardon of Nixon was ludricious.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:38 pm
For once I agree with LSM. It is ridiculous for any person to have all this bullshit fanfare around their dead rotting corpse.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 03:47 pm
It's a state funeral. This is what we do when presidents die. Do you remember the seemingly month long funeral for Reagan?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
It's a state funeral. This is what we do when presidents die. Do you remember the seemingly month long funeral for Reagan?

No, Regans was 6 days, two services.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:19 pm
kickycan wrote:
For once I agree with LSM. It is ridiculous for any person to have all this bullshit fanfare around their dead rotting corpse.

I think a state funeral is fine, but my gawd, this is really obscene. Media loves it though, they show every hair blowing, every tear shed, close ups yet. Then there's the fawning over this dead person, like they all loved him. Rolling Eyes
I understood JFKs funeral, the country needed that. Ford was a 93 year old man, had a good life, died of natural causes, let him go for pitys sake.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:20 pm
kickycan wrote:

I think a state funeral is fine, but my gawd, this is really obscene. Media loves it though, they show every hair blowing, every tear shed, close ups yet. Then there's the fawning over this dead person, like they all loved him. Rolling Eyes
I understood JFKs funeral, the country needed that. Ford was a 93 year old man, had a good life, died of natural causes, let him go for pitys sake.
I thought Reagans was too long too, another man that lived a good & very long life.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:21 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Well sure, some people even think his pardon of Nixon was ludricious.

I'm one of them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:23 pm
This looks also like two funerals, and a lot of lying in state.

Quote:
Ceremonies for President Gerald R. Ford will begin Friday at St. Margaret's Church in Palm Desert, Calif., which Ford and his wife, Betty, frequently attended. A family prayer service will be followed with visitation by friends and a period of public repose.

Ford's body will be flown to Washington, D.C., late Saturday afternoon. His hearse will pause at the World War II memorial in a joint tribute to the wartime Navy reserve veteran and his comrades in uniform.

The state funeral will be conducted in the Capitol Rotunda on Saturday evening. The public will be able to file in to pay last respects after the state funeral. Ford will lie in state in a closed casket until Tuesday morning.

And in a departure from tradition meant to highlight his long congressional service, Ford's remains will also lie in repose outside the doors of both the House and the Senate for short periods.

"I know personally how much those two tributes themselves meant to President Ford," said family representative Gregory D. Willard, who detailed arrangements in a news conference in Palm Desert, Calif.

On Tuesday, there will be a funeral service at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. Ford will then be interred on a hillside near his Grand Rapids, Mich., presidential museum.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6688637
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:32 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
This looks also like two funerals, and a lot of lying in state.

Quote:
Ceremonies for President Gerald R. Ford will begin Friday at St. Margaret's Church in Palm Desert, Calif., which Ford and his wife, Betty, frequently attended. A family prayer service will be followed with visitation by friends and a period of public repose.

Ford's body will be flown to Washington, D.C., late Saturday afternoon. His hearse will pause at the World War II memorial in a joint tribute to the wartime Navy reserve veteran and his comrades in uniform.

The state funeral will be conducted in the Capitol Rotunda on Saturday evening. The public will be able to file in to pay last respects after the state funeral. Ford will lie in state in a closed casket until Tuesday morning.

And in a departure from tradition meant to highlight his long congressional service, Ford's remains will also lie in repose outside the doors of both the House and the Senate for short periods.

"I know personally how much those two tributes themselves meant to President Ford," said family representative Gregory D. Willard, who detailed arrangements in a news conference in Palm Desert, Calif.

On Tuesday, there will be a funeral service at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. Ford will then be interred on a hillside near his Grand Rapids, Mich., presidential museum.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6688637

On TV it looked like 4 or 5
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 04:56 pm
ON t.v. it looked like the man on the moon landing occured in arizona.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:38 pm
Like FreeDuck, I have no problem counting to two.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:48 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Like FreeDuck, I have no problem counting to two.

There's three even in FD article. Ca, DC, & Mi. Two in DC alone, that's FOUR.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:54 pm
Yeah, but they're messing with the soap opera schedules...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
you'll all be happy to know he's planted. So is Saddam. So is James Brown. So shall all of you be.

not me though, I'm a full cadaver donor.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:00 pm
The country DOES need ceremonies, mythologies, symbols, etc. The country (nation-state) is itself a symbolic contrivance which feeds off of ceremony and ritual. And I agree the JFK's funeral was almost therapeudically necessary. But all this stuff for Ford has gone too far. First of all, it certainly isn't for him (or even Betty); he isn't aware of it. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. This one has been mainly for the Republican party. Hearing Bush go on and on about "character" is an emetic.
0 Replies