Democrats To Start Without GOP Input

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
They were elected because they weren't Republicans, but turns out they are no better. I am hoping for more actions like these to cement the Republican landslide in 08.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:48 pm
Isn't that exactly the attitude you claim to deplore? Hoping for bad things so that your party can benefit?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:56 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Isn't that exactly the attitude you claim to deplore? Hoping for bad things so that your party can benefit?

That's just it, DrewDad, what they want to pass ain't bad things, so I doubt it will have much effect on the electorate. It just the principle of the thing to me.

Quote:
House Democrats intend to pass a raft of popular measures as part of their well-publicized plan for the first 100 hours. They include tightening ethics rules for lawmakers, raising the minimum wage, allowing more research on stem cells and cutting interest rates on student loans.

Now if they decided to pass some kind of thing about warrantless spying on Americans that might cause some kind of dustup.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 12:57 pm
Along with crying about being left out. Isn't this the sort of thing dems were labeled whiners for?

That said, I do want to reiterate that I voted "yes" on the poll. I still think the Dems should rise above it. I won't be surprised when they don't, and if they did I'm sure that the Republicans would find a way to paint them pansies for it, but it's still the right thing to do.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:10 pm
gosh I hope te democrats don't like for instance have the authorities toss repubs out of the building... or arrest anyone. I mean what kind of scumbag would do that?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
They were elected because they weren't Republicans, but turns out they are no better. I am hoping for more actions like these to cement the Republican landslide in 08.

tsk tsk Mcgentrix... so quick to judge....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:23 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Nonsense. I have had to endure 2 and half years of this crap from your side, now you get to endure 2 years of equal treatment.

Also, I don't believe I ever stated what you are suggesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 01:55 pm
I voted yes, but politicians being politicians, and political junkies being political junkies ...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2007 03:38 pm
revel wrote:
I personally think this decision to sideline the republicans is a mistake that I hope that they change their minds about. All of those bills they hope to pass are popular bills supported by most of the electorate, if republicans attempt to derail it in endless maneuvers then they should consider those rules which suspend rules, but I think the democrats should at least give the republicans a chance to prove themselves. Otherwise we will be no better than we have been accusing the republicans of being.

Even if the Democrats don't allow the opposition to propose amendments, just letting the Republicans know where and when the committees meet will be an improvement over past practice.

Being the minority party in the House sucks, especially after the rule changes instituted by Delay and company. The Republicans, as a result, should be grateful for whatever largesse Pelosi and the Democrats toss their way. As the freed slave said to his former master returning to his plantation at the end of the Civil War, "bottom rail on the top now."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:38 am
from 2004 in the tables-turned story...
Quote:
House Democrats' anger at heavy-handed Republican tactics reached a new level yesterday, with the chamber's top Democrat asking the House speaker to embrace a "Bill of Rights" for the minority, regardless which party it is.

In keeping with the general atmosphere of the House these days, aides to Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) said he will not respond to the two-page proposal from Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A680-2004Jun23.html
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:34 am
When every Congress meets for the first time, the following happens:

On a straight party-line vote, the majority party installs the Speaker of the House and Senate Majority Leader,

The majority party makes certain that they have a majority in every single committee,

And the majority party makes sure that every single committee chairman is from the majority party.

Since bills and nominations have to go through a committee before they can be voted on the floor of the House or Senate, these are important things.

That is the way it has always worked.

So when Pelosi said she will work with the Republicans, realistically it means that on some legislation the Republicans will have a hand in shaping it. That doesn't mean that the Republicans get input on every piece of legislation-that would be unrealistic and counter to the history of the Congress.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 07:38 am
kelticwizard wrote:
When every Congress meets for the first time, the following happens:

On a straight party-line vote, the majority party installs the Speaker of the House and Senate Majority Leader,

The majority party makes certain that they have a majority in every single committee,

And the majority party makes sure that every single committee chairman is from the majority party.

Since bills and nominations have to go through a committee before they can be voted on the floor of the House or Senate, these are important things.

That is the way it has always worked.

So when Pelosi said she will work with the Republicans, realistically it means that on some legislation the Republicans will have a hand in shaping it. That doesn't mean that the Republicans get input on every piece of legislation-that would be unrealistic and counter to the history of the Congress.

you forgot the part about bush pooping his didee and vetoing everything he doesn't like......
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:00 am
The dems should heed what their little god said, "The dems have not been given a mandate, they've been given a chance".
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:18 am
Thanks for the link, blatham.

I agree with KW, too.

Quote:

The first 100 hours passing bills that have already been debated isn't being partisan. It's getting the work of the people done finally.
0 Replies