Right to Work Laws

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:41 am
Many years ago, when I was either in high school or college, I dimly remember something called Right to Work laws which were by then a thing of the past.

What were they? Who considered them bad? Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:04 pm
The one time I heard about "Right to Work" regulations in the US, they meant that you had the right of not being a member of a union to keep a job.

It also meant you had the right to be a scab.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:19 pm
Exactly. Each state may choose to enact such a law. They are favored by unions and some employees. Employer's and some employees do not. For what it is worth, New Mexico is not a right to work state, but the Navajo reservation, which is partly in New Mexico is right to work.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:23 pm
Oh, there is also the federal Davis - Bacon Act as well as state variationsin a similar vein. These provide that contracts with the federal government (and some state contracts) will pay employees the prevailing union wage, even though not on a union job.

The unions love this one. I hate it. When we work for the state, the biweekly payroll takes over twice as long to prepare, with a net gain to our employees of under $50.00.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 01:44 pm
Check this out:

http://www.nrtw.org/rtws.htm

Find out if your state has Right to Work Laws
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:08 am
Thanks for the leads so far...will check in again in a day or two when I have more time!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 02:56 pm
Article 23 of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights" says:
Quote:

Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.

This is, how in we Europe understand "right to work laws".
(Starting in 1946 in Switzerland, nearly in every European country there have been attempts to constitute these rights as 'basic laws' or similar - all failed until now.*)

(*"Work constitutes a right and shall enjoy the protection of the State, which shall seek to create conditions of employment for all citizens and shall pursue the moral and material advancement of the rural and urban working population." This is from the Greek constitution. Similar is to found in others as well, but I've never heard of that you could sue this right.
Human rights are, btw, part of the German Basic law as well.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:01 pm
roger wrote:
Exactly. Each state may choose to enact such a law. They are favored by unions and some employees. Employer's and some employees do not.

I think you may have this reversed. One of the reasons for implementing Right to work laws is that Unions could basically force people to become members by virtue of the person being employed in a Union shop. With Right to Work laws in place the Unions can't do that. The Unions have fought proposals to pass right to work laws pretty hard.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:07 pm
"Right to Work" has a different meaning here Walter. It has nothing really to do with Rights in the concept of individual vs. State. It's really more about Individual vs. Union if anything.

For two opposing views on the issue here in teh US:

http://www.aflcio.org/issuespolitics/stateissues/righttowork.cfm

and :

http://www.nrtwc.org/whoweare.php3
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:11 pm
You're right, of course, fishin.

Yeah, right to work is a deceptive bit of nomenclature.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 03:12 pm
Thanks, fishin - I've noticed it.
0 Replies