Democracy: Quietly Passing Away

PDiddie

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:28 am
Sheila Samples, freelance writer and former US Army Public Information Officer, has written the most powerful essay I have yet read on the threat of John Ashcroft and the Patriot Acts to our nation. It follows:

In the mid 1930s, my father-in-law ran a cotton gin in southwest Oklahoma. Cotton harvest was busy; trucks and trailers bulging with freshly picked cotton bumped and weaved in slow convoys along dirt roads to the one cotton gin in the county. Farmers waited for long, hot hours, even overnight, to collect meager dollars for their baled cotton -- money that in no way paid for months of work in the fields, but was critically needed to "put food on their families" until the next crop.

On one hectic day, the ginner -- the man who runs the "stands," which are contraptions with saws separating the lint from the seed -- stuck his hand inside a stand that had clogged. The saw suddenly jumped into motion and, before the ginner could jerk free, its rapidly moving, razor-sharp teeth shredded his hand beyond recognition. The sight of this bloody stub was so ghastly that his helper -- an older man -- took one look, recoiled in horror, and fainted.

Instantly, the gin became a chaotic madhouse. Men ran in all directions, bumping into each other while trying to stem the flow of blood and to prepare the ginner, now in shock, for the 11-mile trip to the nearest hospital. Back then, 11 miles was a long way; and speed was not an option when trying to maneuver the six-inch ruts in the "road" to town.

Finally, however, the ginner was on his way, and the excitement died down. But when the men turned their attention to the old fella who had fainted, they discovered to their amazement that he was dead.

"He just laid (sic) there and died while nobody was looking," my father-in-law recalled sadly. "Things mighta been different if we'd only looked around... if some of us had paid attention..." The emotional exhaustion of dealing with the ginner's ordeal -- the blood, the anxiety, the scurrying around -- was so vivid that all they could manage for their old friend was a momentary flash of guilt, followed by years of regret.

I've thought of that incident many times since the sudden catastrophe of 9-11, when the nightmarish "bloody stub" of terrorism was rammed so crudely into the heart of the American Dream. I've also thought about the just-as-swift, dead-of-night assault by attorney general John Ashcroft, who "soared like an eagle" to sink his razor-sharp talons into democracy and its attendant freedoms with his USA Patriot Act. This 342-page legislation was rushed feverishly and mostly unread through Congress one month after 9-11, and pretty much dispensed with constitutional protections, especially for all those who are "not like us."

It was almost too easy. Teaching the Congress to "heel" was a no-brainer; a few anthrax-laced doggie treats and its members were not only happy to heel, but gladly demonstrated they could "sit" and "stay" as well. The lone dissenter, Democrat Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, one of the few legislators who actually read the Act, was perceptive enough to realize that our Constitution, our Bill of Rights, would likely go into shock from such an attack and, if unattended, the wounds could be fatal.

Feingold sounded the alarm on the Senate floor during the Oct. 25, 2001 debate, which fell on mostly deaf ears. His remarks were published the next day:

Quote:
"...there is no doubt that if we lived in a police state, it would be easier to catch terrorists. If we lived in a country that allowed the police to search your home at any time for any reason; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to open your mail, eavesdrop on your phone conversations, or intercept your email communications; if we lived in a country that allowed the government to hold people in jail indefinitely based on what they write or think, or based on mere suspicion that they are up to no good, then the government would no doubt discover and arrest more terrorists."

"But," Feingold continued, "that probably would not be a country in which we would want to live. And that would not be a country for which we could, in good conscience, ask our young people to fight and die. In short," he said, "that would not be America."

Alas, that America -- Ashcroft's America -- is where we now live. We have plunged headlong into the past. America cringes under the shadow of a militant Homeland Security Act: a doppleganger of Adolph Hitler's 1933 "Enabling Act," which, to ensure security of the homeland, effectively cancelled constitutional freedoms of German citizens. Like Germany of 70 years ago, America is a nation so mesmerized by fear -- so uninformed by its corporate media -- that our bipartisan Congress transferred with nary a whimper and without public debate all military, police, law enforcement, judicial, and surveillance powers to the executive branch, or Reich.

There's enough blame to go around, but the media is a major player in shaping the atrocities of Ashcroft's world. Because George Bush is the media's "charge to keep," John Ashcroft is allowed to rise from morning prayer fests and move freely beneath the national radar -- unapologetic, hard-eyed, a man on a mission to dismantle the civil liberties of Americans, and bestow astonishing unchecked powers on himself.

Not content with "protecting the American people" by eliminating their freedom of speech, freedom from unreasonable searches, freedom of information, freedom of association, and the right to liberty, legal representation or to speech and public trials, Ashcroft is back with his Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003, already dubbed "Patriot Act II." Ashcroft initially denied even thinking of such a thing, but after some terrified department minion leaked the draft to the public, he was forced to admit that it was in the works -- in the hands of House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Vice President Dick Cheney -- and would soon be in our faces.

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul recently sounded the alarm. He said, "Rather than effectively fight threats to our national security and safety, Patriot Two would endanger the liberty of every American citizen and destroy what remains of America's constitutional republic." Paul claimed that the "most disturbing portion of the draft is the provision that would give the government the power to revoke United States citizenship for engaging in political activity."

Paul is correct. Taking a look at Patriot Act II (Section 304): Ashcroft and defense secretatary Donald Rumsfeld will have the authority to strip you of your citizenship if "they have reason to believe" you belong to, or support, any group that falls into their disfavor. Oh, yes they can -- and they will. You know they will.

Cruising on over to Section 423, you need to know that a "designated terrorist organization" can also be any individual listed in an Executive Order as "supporting" terrorist activity. If you have any lingering doubts about the destruction Bush can wreck with his Executive Orders, check out the more than 150 he has issued. Does this mean that the New York Times is a "terrorist organization" because it harbors Paul Krugman, clearly a terrorist whose clarion call of truth rings across this land twice a week? Are we "enemy combatants" for supporting either of them?

Media shouts of "Terrorists at the gate!" take on new and ominous meaning when we hear that Bush and Rumsfeld are considering turning Camp Delta at Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, complete with its own death chamber wherein about 680 enemy combatants can be disposed of sans legal representation or civil trials. Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving Gitmo's boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal. A real Texas Tribunal wet dream.

This is not 1933 -- it's 2003 -- but it's time we paid attention. It's time we stopped and looked around at what is lying in shock at our feet. Because, by the time we realize we were rushed into trading real freedom for false security, we might discover too late that because nobody noticed, democracy -- our old friend -- just laid there and died.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 18
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:02 am
How long do you think before people like this lady and those of us who agree with her in public forums start disappearing or being made a public example of?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:04 am
THUD
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
**** 'em.

I ain't gonna be quiet.

They want me -- come and get me.

They are a bunch of assholes who wouldn't recognize real patriotism if it fell on them.

But to be honest, they are not the object of the majority of my rage. That I save for the sycophants and knee-jerk reactors who are seconding this travesty happening in Washington.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
So what are we doing?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:45 pm
Take heart. SCOTUS is finally sending a message of its own.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:03 pm
I will speak as a free person until the day somebody forcibly shuts me up. I don't want to live in a Nazi world anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:56 pm
THUD aussi.

As a side note -- WHYYYYYYYY isn't Russ running? I'm having a really hard time getting het up about any of the current contenders. I love Russ.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:09 pm
Why isn't Russ running? The answer (it just occurred to me) is the same one as the answer to the question, If dolphins are so smart, why are they still in the sea?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 03:38 am
I have some friends in Toronto.
And I really like Vancouver quite a bit -- multicultural, clean, beautiful, friendly, civilized.
I've met six people in the last few months, random people around town and at work, who are actively researching what it would take to move to Canada.

I would feel bad for Canada to be receiving angry, disgruntled shallow Americans,
except that these tend to the sharply informed, caring and socially aware ones.

For me, it's just a matter of jobhunting and paperwork before I move. I would think the emmigration statistics would not start reflecting our discontent for another year or two, but I have a sad feeling many talented and good people will be leaving this country.

Fresh air. Good spirit. Community. Freedom.
Canada looks pretty nice.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:30 am
The out migration of Americans has gone on for years -- Canada (among other many places) must be getting used to this! When I sold my place in Europe to an IBM family (who were getting out) -- in part because I would be spending more time in the States -- I was surprised at their telling me, "Don't go back there to stay. You'll regret it..." This was a typical American family in so many ways -- so American that I wondered how long they'd last outside of their country (they're still living in Europe though, as far as I know). When I asked them why they were so down on America after they'd been so successful (and so typical), they looked at each other and said, "Wait and see.... you'll understand after you've been there a while." And I do. One thing I've learned here, however, is that Jimmy Carter was right about national malaise. And it hasn't gone away. Watergate wasn't the first time we had to face large-scale lying. It's compounded now, in retrospect, with the lies we told ourselves about Vietnam -- huge, dangerous, treacherous lies -- and the growing realization that we-the-people are less well represented than we like to think, that we matter less and less as citizens and more and more as consumers. Reagan's decade rubbed our faces in that fact; Clinton's decade made it easier to take because of the prosperity and the technological toys. The ease with which Bush narrows our freedoms, autonomy, access to information, financial and personal security only shows the extent to which we'd already given much of them away.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
Doug Bandow of the Cato Institute--the CATO INSTITUTE!--writes:

Conservatives' lack of interest in the WMD question takes an even more ominous turn when combined with general support for presidential warmaking.

Thus, [in the view of Republican presidents, legislators, and conservative intellectuals], once someone is elected president, he or she faces no legal or political constraint. The president doesn't need congressional authority; Washington doesn't need UN authority. Allied support is irrelevant. The president needn't offer the public a justification for going to war that holds up after the conflict ends. The president may not even be questioned about the legitimacy of his professed justification. Accept his word and let him do whatever he wants, irrespective of circumstances.

This is not the government created by the Founders. This is not the government that any believer in liberty should favor.

It is foolish to turn the Iraq war, a prudential political question, into a philosophical test for conservatism. It is even worse to demand unthinking support for Bush. He should be pressed on the issue of WMD -- by conservatives. Fidelity to the Constitution and republican government demands no less.

Why WMD lies matter: the conservative view
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:43 pm
Believe it or not, PDiddie, I largely agree. This does not make a liberal of me.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:51 pm
You were never in any danger of being mistaken for one, rog. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:54 pm
Thanks - I guess.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
Diebold voting machines

Election fraud -- the sequel.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 08:10 am
The potential for abuse is there, yet not realized.
I'm with youse guys on this, sorta.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:17 am
maxsdadeo wrote:
The potential for abuse is there, yet not realized.
I'm with youse guys on this, sorta.

Holy moley!!!

The sky is falling! Laughing
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
Quote:
Diebold voting machines are used in 37 states. The entire state of Ohio is considering dumping its old system to buy Diebold. Georgia already did.

The Diebold files, supposedly secret voting machine files left on an unprotected web site for nearly six years, are unlocking the truth.

Official stories about voting machine security, acceptance testing and last-minute program changes are beginning to slide around like hot grease on a Georgia griddle.

What was the program patch known as rob-georgia.zip used for? What were they doing with that ftp site, anyway? Hang in for the first part of this article, the finger-pointing and obfuscating part, because it concludes with a straightforward explanation of what went on in Georgia that has never been made public before.

Bald-Faced Lies About Black Box Voting Machines
0 Replies