Head of Household

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:21 pm
Hello, I'm new to this message board and have a question.

I'm trying to confirm that I can claim my elderly mother as a dependent and file using Head of Household status.
I do provide more than half her living expenses, and her only income is survivors benefits through SS.

anyone have experience with this issue, is it worth it - I'm new to this sort of thing and don't want to be asking for an audit.

Thank you Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 975 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 04:50 pm
I'm answering because I want to bump up this topic.

The answer is: maybe. Why is the answer maybe? Because I ain't a CPA. I do advise, though -- and I bet you don't want to hear it -- contacting a professional and paying some cabbage to get the right answer. You're right, you don't need an audit, and depending upon volunteers on a message board is not the best way to guarantee accuracy. For your own peace of mind, even if someone gives you what appears to be a correct and thorough answer, get it checked out by an independent professional.

Best of luck to you and your mother.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
IRS Pub. 501 contains the rules you are looking for ... Publication 501.

In Pub. 501, look under "Filing Status ... Head of Household" ... Table 4 ("Who Is a Qualifying Person Qualifying You To File as Head of Household?").

*Basically, if you can claim your mother as an exemption, she is a Qualifying Person for the Head of Household analysis.

Look under "Exemptions" ... Table 5 ... "Qualifying Relative"

*Basically, the rules for whether your mother is a "Qualifying Relative" are these:
    [i]1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of anyone else. 2. The person either: [list](a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $3,300.
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.[/i] (From Table 5)
[/list]
The key question seems to be how much income does your mother get from SS?
0 Replies